X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

I have been noticing a small issue (Possibly not small at all), and would like some ideas of what could be going on.. I have an X32 and an S16. The X32 is running Firmware 2.04, but this has been happening when i was running 1.15. If I use outputs 15 & 16 for Main LR outputs to a pair of JBL PRX615's, the sound is great.. But if I connect my S16 to AES port A, set it up as 1-8, and route output 9-16 to AES550-A 1-8 the volume is almost 1/2 of what the console outputs.

As a test, I plugged both speakers into outs 15 and 16 on the board, and the volume of both are equal. If i unplug one of the speakers and plug it into OUT 7 or 8, the volume is 1/2 of the speaker plugged into the X32. I have Green Sync lights on both the S16 and the X32. I have tried both AES550 A and B ports on the X32, both exhibit the same behavior. Before you ask, yes I have tried different XLR cables.

I also plugged a SM58 into port 1 on the S16, routed it to Channel 27 on the X32. To get around -9db on the meter, I need to crank the gain to +47.0. If I plug directly into port 27 on the X32 and change the route, and crank it to +47 on the gain, I clip the channel reading the same paragraph (A website I brought up and read from.)..

I think I need to send it in for repair, but wanted to get other advice before I did so. Thanks for any help.

Last night I went ahead and opened a case with Behringer via their website. I will let everyone know what the outcome is. I also tried to create a new user on there forums, and the site crashes with 500 Internal Server Error everytime I fill out the form. I have sent an email to [email protected], so hopefully they get that fixed.

Re: EQ a room using the RTA

Hi,

Ok - Thanks to help from this thread, I have an EQ across the outputs and now want to stick a flat mic up in the room, and EQ so my speakers are relatively flat using the RTA.

What is the recommended workflow for this?

Thanks
Pauly

I think the recommended workflow is to get SMAART or SIM or some other two channel FFT analyzer and use it to compare the direct and the measured/heard sound to see the difference between the two. Being able to see delayed reflections can be useful, too, not to mention the delay between sources.

EQ/place devices accordingly.

PS Glad you got the snippets to do what you want.

Hi Dan

Thanks for the reply - However.... I'm happy to stick a km184 or m149 into a channel, then use the desks RTA to measure the response from a pink noise either generated by the desk, or from another external device. Is it possible do you think?

Thanks
Pauly
\

I think the recommended workflow is to get SMAART or SIM or some other two channel FFT analyzer and use it to compare the direct and the measured/heard sound to see the difference between the two. Being able to see delayed reflections can be useful, too, not to mention the delay between sources.

EQ/place devices accordingly.

PS Glad you got the snippets to do what you want.

Re: FX slot question.

Hi John,
No such thing as a stupid question!
1/ Click the view button on the scenes section of the desk
2/ In the Scenes tab of the SCenes screen, Select the scene you want to save to USB
3/ EITHER -
Press the 5th encoder (Under Save Settings)
OR
Press the Utility button, and then press the 6th Encoder (Export Scenes)

Should be good to go from there.

Pauly
4/

Stupid question in know. What is the procedure for saving scenes to a USB drive?

Hi John,

Well yes and no.... I'd never do it to quality Near fields (the really accurate monitors I trust to mix with), however soffit or wall mounted speakers often have some corrective bias applied. In the room _I_ can afford, by the time the large monitors sound gets to our ears, it could sometimes use a little correction :) As a matter of fact, (and once again I stress this is in a studio using an x32 as the main desk - IE, not a multi million dollar facility) my large monitors are an old expensive pair of 3 way 15s that probably arent all that accurate right next to them - bloody fun to listen to though.

Thanks
Pauly

3/ EITHER -
OR

There is a difference between the two:
- Save settings will save the console current setting, not the selected scene.
- To actually export a scene, the Export Scenes under UTILITY is the correct way

Hi John,
No such thing as a stupid question!
1/ Click the view button on the scenes section of the desk
2/ In the Scenes tab of the SCenes screen, Select the scene you want to save to USB
3/ EITHER -
OR

Should be good to go from there.

Pauly
4/

Thank you, sir! I've been trying to find the same for some time.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Re: Android App?

***Happy Birthday X32***

Two years on the road - still enjoying the ride:)

As always...Father's Day.
Doors at 11 AM...

IMG_2764-001.JPG

Curfew 9 PM
IMG_2765.JPG

Two Bands - one X32Compact.
Let's see, what 2015 might bring to the X32 familiy.

Christian

Re: Android App?

How do I get to the actual FX units on the Android app? Tap delay...etc?
How do I change buss tap points?

When in home view, there is an FX selection in the top menu. You can change parameters, but I don't think there is a tapping button yet. You can access the buttons in the menu beside the FX menu, and the button that is usually the tap button might work.
I don't know if it is possible to change tap points from the app, at least I haven't noticed it anywhere.

I only use the Mixing Station as a monitor app on a cheap (€50) device, and don't do any setup as such from it, just running a custom layer for the monitor levels and occasionally access the eq for said monitor

Last edited:

Hi Dan

Thanks for the reply - However.... I'm happy to stick a km184 or m149 into a channel, then use the desks RTA to measure the response from a pink noise either generated by the desk, or from another external device. Is it possible do you think?

Thanks
Pauly
\

You need a flat omni. The M149 can be omni, but neither are flat.

Wifi Client for X32 Rack

Hi all,

Thought I'd just share my findings regarding a certain setup I was after and what I've managed to do.

I've recently rid of my 2nd X32 desk and replaced it with an X32 Rack and S16. The desk was a sort of back up and the rack gives me back up plus more portable features.

For the majority of shows I do, the full X32 desk will be the FOH control surface and the X32 rack and/or S16 for I/O via digital snake.

There are times when I want to just use the rack for smaller stuff on it's own. However, on larger shows I can now technically mix the band/orchestra at the rack with all dynamics etc, allowing me to send as little as a couple of channels up to the aux on the main desk leaving the other 32 channels free for loads of radio mics etc.....

So to be able to mix the X32 rack when in this scenario I connected up an old wifi access point to run as a client. The unit was a bit bulky, but worked allowing me to control it via iPad or X32 edit whilst still connected to my main router's SSID which comes from a unit in the desk case.

However when I want to use the X32 rack on it's own, I had a second access point to swap over to give out DHCP etc....

Ok, but not ideal and the things were a little bulky in the back of the X32 rack case.

With a bit of web searching I found one of these (BL-MP01).........
http://www.lefen.com/index.php/products/view?pid=60 (£9 on ebay delivered!)

The beauty of this is that it supports access point, client, repeater, bridge etc and there is a switch on the side to flip modes. Further more it is very small.

In the one mode it acts as a client for the X32 Rack (with IP 192.168.1.240) and wirelessly connects to the main X32 router (192.168.1.1). The main router gives out DHCP 192.168.10 - 192.168.1.50.

When I want to use the rack on its own I can flip the switch on the BL-MP01 and that now acts as an access point (it's ip is 192.168.1.254 and gives out 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.230)

Both wifi networks have the same SSID with same encryption type which makes things really easy.

In addition when in the first mode (using X32 desk and X32 rack), I now get the added benefit of the BL-MP01 acting as a repeater too which really helps when the iPad signal gets a bit low working far on stage from FOH position.

I am not yet sure what the range is like as I haven't tested it out in venues yet, just set up at home. Seems OK and PC says connected at 150mbps and ping rates are good, I'll know more next week.

It's a little complicated to set up the 2 modes and look me a couple of hours to figure it out, but if anyone else finds a use and gets one, I can give the best settings, so just let me know.

I've attached a photo of the unit to see it fixed at the back for the X32 rack case. I'm thinking with the lack of external antenna it may have a limited range, but I'll fully test shortly.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: Mute groups problem

Hi everyone. Currently I have four problems with our X32, which we have had for 15 mos.

The small ones are 1) an LED has burned out on a channel meter and 2) a mute group button sticks so it is basically useless.
The two big ones are 3) the motor that moves the output side between layers is making noise when the level buttons are pushed (and it isn't always the same button that causes the noise) and 4) one of the output channel faders is not working (when switching btwn levels the fader doesn't move) and it feels rough, not smooth. My biggest concern is that that motor will fully give out and we won't be able to change layers.

Being a church, sending this out for repair will be a challenge, and potentially a huge disruption. We often use it during the week and always on both weekend days for four services, recording and broadcasting.

Does anyone have experience with Behringer's service in the US, or know what their typical turn time is for repairs, and if there is an approval process for an RA? I do have it registered with them. Even if I overnighted the board to them, I'm skeptical that they could return it in time for the weekend,

Thanks for any insight,
Jason

Re: Mute groups problem

Hi everyone. Currently I have four problems with our X32, which we have had for 15 mos.

The small ones are 1) an LED has burned out on a channel meter and 2) a mute group button sticks so it is basically useless.
The two big ones are 3) the motor that moves the output side between layers is making noise when the level buttons are pushed (and it isn't always the same button that causes the noise) and 4) one of the output channel faders is not working (when switching btwn levels the fader doesn't move) and it feels rough, not smooth. My biggest concern is that that motor will fully give out and we won't be able to change layers.

Being a church, sending this out for repair will be a challenge, and potentially a huge disruption. We often use it during the week and always on both weekend days for four services, recording and broadcasting.

Does anyone have experience with Behringer's service in the US, or know what their typical turn time is for repairs, and if there is an approval process for an RA? I do have it registered with them. Even if I overnighted the board to them, I'm skeptical that they could return it in time for the weekend,

Thanks for any insight,
Jason

Save your show on a USB stick. Rent replacement desk, load show. Send your mixer to Music Group's Las Vegas repair ("Care") facility. The LED repair should be covered by the 3 year warranty (if you registered it online), but buttons, rotary controls and faders are covered only 1 year. Return info is on Behringer's web site, or find a post by Joe Sanborn and use the email address in his signature line.