X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

Hi Scott,

Because the shows I got it to do are not usually going to have more than 16 or at most 24 inputs, and the scribble strips are a little bit of a pain to see in the bright sunlight but tape and pen are easily visible. These shows don't really need DCA's, either, so the console can likely stay in 16 fader mode.

Tonight I did my first real show on a Producer, and it was quite fine with a mighty 12 inputs. It seems like the best way (so far) is going to be to have an iPad open to the Sends on Faders, and keep all the faders for inputs almost all the time. That was a pretty slick and fast work method.

The other winning feature about the Producer is its rack-mountability. I have evolved a hardware workflow over the years where I mount an SKB pop-up mixer case to the top of a 12 space SKB rack with a good caster board underneath with good casters, and a hole drilled between the two racks so cables can go between the mixer and outboard gear. You roll the case into the mix position, take off three covers, connect inputs and outputs and AC, and it's at the right height and ready to go. It started with Mackie 1604 VLZ's, and for the shows where that was a sufficient mixer, it worked real well.

When the APB House Rack came out, I built some using the EWI case that was easy to use, and was able to get to 40 inputs by connecting two together. They had many more features than the Mackies.

Now that I'm into the X32's, I miss all the features when going back to either analog solution. With the Producer I've got an S16 in the rack, too, so there's a possibility of more inputs when needed during the course of a little parks series, but can go to the full size when more inputs are consistently needed.

This form factor is just a real quick way to get a little gig set up, and an actual console will be more secure than iPads and a Rack, maybe, for the 16 or so input shows. These parks gigs are out in the middle of a field or parking lot, and it's nice to roll up a mixer and be done rather than piecing together iPads and a place to put them and figuring out security.

Sorry for being long-winded about it, but there you go. I'd post a picture but it's away at gigs for a few days.

Thanks for asking,
Dan

PS to Dirk: I'm hoping they're just busy, and since it's been so slow here lately maybe they're out of the habit?

Thanks Dan,

That makes sense.... especially if you are augmenting the physical controls with the X32 Mix app.

How are you mounting your iPad? I found a relatively inexpensive iPad mount that has a pole clamp built in (I use it on my microphone stand when I mix from stage, but it could be mounted to anything you can get the clamp around).

Re: Auto Gain

Hi Mick,
sorry for having kept you waiting, but school is keeping me busy.

“Have you saved your scene?” question will pop up on pressing “Start”- or “Continues”-button to ensure you not to override gain- and fader-settings in the X32-mixer. Only if you answer this question with: “yes” the program will proceed. You can disable the safety question in the setting menu.
For example:
You make a soundcheck with your first musicians using “Start” function and you get your perfect sound. Then you want to do the soundcheck with a second band. Without the safety question you might forget to save the scene (gains, faders etc) for the first band in the X32-mixer and override it with the values of the second band.
Automixer can be used together with Autogain-function in one scene:
a band playing in the background, controlled by Start/Continue and
orators controlled by Automixer.

Yes, there is an interaction between the channels selected for the Automixer. This interaction will reduce unwanted noise signals by reducing the number of open mics.
The Dugan Automixer is mostly used as an Insert-Effect. It uses a separate gain for each mic-channel outside of the mixer to reduce the level of the mic-channels.
I have tried to adopt Dan Dugan’s Automixer algorithm as described in here: http://www.protechaudio.com/products/PDFFiles/DuganMixing.pdf

L[SUB]n[/SUB]’=L[SUB]n[/SUB] - [Sum(L[SUB]n[/SUB]) – L[SUB]n[/SUB]]
L[SUB]n [/SUB] is the level in channel n befor
e attenuation
L[SUB]n[/SUB]‘ is the level in channel n after attenuation
Sum(L[SUB]n[/SUB]) is the sum of the levels in all channels (the sum is taken before individual channels are attenuated)

I don’t have a second gain to attenuate microphone levels as Dugan has, so I use “bus sends” to simulate the missing second gain.
By changing a channel fader assigned to Automixer you can variate the ratio to other Automixer-channels. Fader-Channel n will change (L[SUB]n[/SUB]), i.e. make one person louder or quieter. With the bus-fader the loudness: Sum(L[SUB]n[/SUB]’) is changed.
If you have further questions, feel free to contact me. I will try to answer them.
Friedrich Altheide

I have time with the X32 and the automixer program right now, and still cannot see any signal coming into the Automixer. I wonder of I have to change any routing in the X32? I currently just have Channels 17-32 set to Local in the X32 and the Automixer. I can't imagine what else would be right. I'm hoping someone might see this post and be able to help me out!

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

USB Hard drive for recording?

Hi.

Is it possible to use a USB hard drive for recording from the X-32's USB recorder? And if so would it need to be powered?

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Re: X32 Discussion

Producer and Mute Groups:

We recently got one, and I think it is a cute little mixer that will work well for little nooner park gigs in the sun. Lack of scribble strips is almost a virtue.

As we were racking it up and outfitting it for gigs, we couldn't figure out how to set Mute Groups from within the console. I have a full-size sitting in the shop, too, and the Producer definitely doesn't accomplish Mute Groups the same way as the full size.

TIA,
Dan

Dear Dan,

To assign channels to a Mute Group, simply press the MUTE GROUP button and you will see boxes appear above the rotary knobs below the screen. You will press these in to assign an input channel to a MUTE GROUP and then press the MUTE GROUP button again to disengage the MUTE GROUP assign function.

Thank You

I have been in the market for a new digital mixer for several months and after reading this ENTIRE thread (among other research) I purchased and received my X32 Rack this past weekend. I just wanted to thank everyone that contributes here. Because of your thoughtful advice, I was able to set up my entire scene on X32 Edit and transfer it to my Rack on arrival and everything worked flawlessly. I am using the Rack to run sound from the stage for a live corporate/wedding band. I have been able to:

1. Assign the assignable controllers and buttons on my synth to control basic mix and mute functions so I can mix directly from my stage position.
2. Get the network up and running smoothly for Android and Ipad apps.
3. Create a wonderful talk-back feature by assigning my mic input and the monitor mixes and then assign a button on my synth to mute my mic in the mains only. This allows me to use my same mic on stage to talk to the band while performing when I want to skip songs or communicate any other info. This is perhaps my favorite feature.

And much more.

I do have one question I'm still working out. I am using a P16M at the drum position for his monitor mix. I notice that the unit is stereo. My rhythm and lead guitar and keyboard signals are all stereo. I don't want to use 6 channels on the P16 and don't care if I lose stereo imaging. Is there an easy way to sum these stereo channels and send to the p16 WITHOUT using three more mix busses?

You guys are great. Thanks again.

Re: Thank You

I do have one question I'm still working out. I am using a P16M at the drum position for his monitor mix. I notice that the unit is stereo. My rhythm and lead guitar and keyboard signals are all stereo. I don't want to use 6 channels on the P16 and don't care if I lose stereo imaging. Is there an easy way to sum these stereo channels and send to the p16 WITHOUT using three more mix busses?

You guys are great. Thanks again.

Without using mix busses, my first thought is to change the p16 source to direct out for either the left or right of the stereo inputs.

x32 Controller

I'm planning to buy my first x32 console, but still deciding between rack or compact variant.
So I'm courious if Behringer has in plan to build remote control console for x32 rack / core version in future in the future, probably without in/outs, just ethernet port?

I know there is xcontrol or something small controller, but I don't think this can be enough to control all functions during live show...

Re: x32 Controller

I'm planning to buy my first x32 console, but still deciding between rack or compact variant.
So I'm courious if Behringer has in plan to build remote control console for x32 rack / core version in future in the future, probably without in/outs, just ethernet port?

I know there is xcontrol or something small controller, but I don't think this can be enough to control all functions during live show...
Check out the x-touch that is planned for an autumn/winter release.

Paul,

Either simming your stereo channels into a MixBus and sending that MixBus to a P16 channel or taping a direct out for a Mono side of the stereo channel as Chris mentions are going to be your two best options.

Paul,

Either simming your stereo channels into a MixBus and sending that MixBus to a P16 channel or taping a direct out for a Mono side of the stereo channel as Chris mentions are going to be your two best options.

Thanks Evan and Chris. I was hoping that the digital nature of the P16 might offer a nice solution. I'll see if just tapping the left side works well enough for monitoring purposes.

Re: x32 Controller

Yap, I mean x-touch, not xcontrol ;)
Will this be the only product from behringer to control x32 desks?

You can use the B-Control Fader BCF2000 via the X32 Edit application. I've used it, and it works great. Only downside, is no channel display. I use the Mackie Control Universal which does have a channel display, and controls most functions of the X32.