X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

I've been without a shop X32 for a few weeks, so couldn't try it. Finally got one set up again to test this.

Your Honor, I would swear that when I tried at a gig to export a Show from the Cue screen with no Cues set up, that it would only do Scenes, but when I tried it again in the shop it works just as you say.

Weird.

Also weird how this thread goes in a frenzy sometimes and then stops dead for days.

In other news, a friend of mine bought a Rack to use in his theater's backstage paging and monitoring system, and is quite pleased at how versatile the patching is. He's using every Aux and XLR output save one, and only a few inputs; there's lots of zones in this system.

Edit: He just sent an email, and is using 14 inputs, 8 mix busses, 18 outputs (XLR 1-8, Aux 1-6 TRS, Aux 5&6 RCA, and AES/EBU). It will be full like that every day of its life.

I'm also kind of frustrated with the inability to completely save /recall a show file. I always lose my fx and eq presets. I don't know how to use snippets so I can't speak of that. I don't even know what cues are, except that the cue utility screen is now where the show import export is now. I know there was a webinar concerning all this but I was gigging that day and have never seen a link for a saved version. Some documentation would be nice.

I'm also kind of frustrated with the inability to completely save /recall a show file. I always lose my fx and eq presets. I don't know how to use snippets so I can't speak of that. I don't even know what cues are, except that the cue utility screen is now where the show import export is now. I know there was a webinar concerning all this but I was gigging that day and have never seen a link for a saved version. Some documentation would be nice.

If you go back in this thread before page 500 but after page 475 (hint: do a search for "Cues"), you'll see some discussion of what these things are and how they interact.

I was going to send you to the X32 Wiki, but it seems to be stuck pre-2.0.

If you are losing your FX and EQ presets, you may have something safe'd in those screens, which (without looking at the console or visiting that recently) I *think* are in the Scenes view and some of the tabs. But don't rely on this, hunt around for parameter safes and see if anything is checked.

Edit: Tis indeed in the Scenes view, with Scene Safes on both Home (Cue) and Scenes tabs, and parameter and channel safes in separate tabs.

Please report back here what it was. Good hunting!

Last edited:

This is my experience as well. I know I'm not hallucinating (Senator, I've hallucinated, and this is no hallucination... ;) ). I was already up to v2.04 in the X32, but couldn't get it to be 'seen' by my laptop so I updated everything - mixer firmware to 2.05, USB/FW card drivers, etc. And then it worked.

I'm in 2.05 now, too, so maybe it was a 2.04 problem? That would make sense.

I don't know how to use snippets so I can't speak of that.

Yeah, I haven't figured out the snippets thing either.

Has anyone seen a good explanation of how they work? I have a good use for them (I think) and would love to know how to use them better. (or at all!)

My particular use is to change an effect type, while also changing which channels feed this effect. Essentially, for 1 song I change my vocal delay to a huge cathedral verb for a big snare hit. Then I change it back to a vocal delay.

Yeah, I haven't figured out the snippets thing either.
A scene saves every parameter from the console into a 'file'. By using safes when loading a scene one can filter what content of all those parameters should apply and discard the rest since everything was saved. Due to this, by creative use of filters you can apply or ignore parameters later on.

A snippet is the other way around. The snippets only store those parameters that you choose at the time of saving. Anything else is discarded when storing the snippet.

The best thing with a snippet is that it contains much less parameters than a scene and it becomes so much easier to manually edit the snippet file since it's more readable due to fewer parameters.

Before snippets was made available people edited the scene file to essentially do what the snippets now does. It was cubersome due to thousands of lines of parameters.

Consider scenes the 'big picture' to start from and use snippets for the fine tuning.

With scenes you often create some template that you load and then save your edits into a new scene depending on venue, band, etc... If you now want to edit your template scene your scenes based on that template they won't follow your edits, even if you wanted to.

So with snippets you can create a scene template for your work and then use snippets to alter your template for specific needs. Since the scene template is your global settings and your snippets doesn't really depend on your scene you only need to change your global settings in one place.

This also means that you can switch between different scenes, depending on your circumstances, but still apply specific settings regardless of your choosen scene.

I hope that I made some sense...

Just to add on to Robert's explanation, the other use for snippets is to quickly modify a bunch of scenes whilst a show is already up and running. If you're already using the cues feature to recall your scenes, and suddenly decide that you'd actually like to change the EQ on a vocal channel, but only in scenes 2, 6 and 9, you can simply save the EQ as a snippet, and then add that snippet to the relevant cues.

I find they're particularly useful for theatre, when you haven't necessarily got time to go through and manually load and re-save scenes if you want to change something.

I appreciate your explanations for cues and snippets. With that said I still don't understand them. :D~:-D~:grin:
With snippets you can control details without bothering with the rest of the thousands of avaiable parameters.

E.g. With a snippet you can turn on phantom power on every 3'rd channel while coloring every 5'th scribble strip purple without affecting anything else that you've already setup.

You can't do that with a scene (unless you strip out thousands of lines in its scene file)...

I'm also kind of frustrated with the inability to completely save /recall a show file. I always lose my fx and eq presets. I know there was a webinar concerning all this but I was gigging that day and have never seen a link for a saved version.

Dear Dan,
You can import/export your presets for FX, Channel Strips, and Routing from the LIBRARY menu. Version 2.0 makes this easy by allowing you to import/export multiple presets at once, but it is a separate process from show/scene files.

We recently made our X32 Expansion Cards Webinar available on our YouTube channel, and the Scene Management 2.0 Webinar will be following soon. We thank you for your patience. In the meantime you can always reach out to us directly for help, either here or by emailing [email protected].

Last edited:

I appreciate your explanations for cues and snippets. With that said I still don't understand them. :D~:-D~:grin:
If you want a visual understanding of snippets, try my X32 Scene Parser tool that I made for that purpose. It basically parses out a section (or sections) of a scene file and presents the OCS commands in a built-in editor. Then the results can be further tweaked using standard editor functions (cut, copy, paste, find, replace, etc.). I've also added range replace, copy and delete functions to be able to manipulate sections (eg channels 3-7). The end result can be saved as a snippet, or can be simply used to further understand the OSC protocol and how snippets function. The app is currently an offline app, but is open source (including source code), created in Lazarus.

Here is the link http://sourceforge.net/projects/x32sceneparser/

Paul

I appreciate your explanations for cues and snippets. With that said I still don't understand them.
icon_biggrin.gif

The thing about snippets is that they ONLY affect the parameters recorded in them, all other parameters are untouched. Scenes, on the other hand, always record and reset ALL parameters to whatever was stored in the scene. Why is this difference important? Well, let's take the excellent example of musical theatre, where faders levels have to be changed second by second and levels vary from performance to performance, depending on how tired the cast are, how hot the weather is, whether the leading lady has hay fever, etc.etc.etc!!

Let's start at curtain up, when you load, let's say, scene 1. This brings up the radio mics of the first cast members on stage to a nominal level. They then start to speak/sing/dance etc. and you have to constantly ride all the fader levels - it's like playing the piano, you have use all your fingers independently. Then another 8 characters enter and you need to bring up their 8 radio mics. If you use a scene to do this, not only will it bring up the new characters' mics, it will RESET the mics of the characters already on stage to whatever level they are recorded in the scene at. This will be the WRONG level since you have been riding the faders as described above. However, if you use a snippet in which you have recorded ONLY the levels of the NEW characters' mics, then their mics will be raised to the nominal level but the levels of the mics of the characters already on stage will not be changed. You then proceed to ride all the mics of all the characters until the next set of entries or exits, where again you use snippets to change the mic levels for those characters entering or exiting, but leave the level for those remaining on stage unchanged.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Update on the Elite Core STP Snake:

I checked mine yesterday, AFAICT it's solid copper. Hard to see because of the metal shield around the RJ45 connector, but appears to be solid copper.

Dear Dan,
You can import/export your presets for FX, Channel Strips, and Routing from the LIBRARY menu. Version 2.0 makes this easy by allowing you to import/export multiple presets at once, but it is a separate process from show/scene files.

We recently made our X32 Expansion Cards Webinar available on our YouTube channel, and the Scene Management 2.0 Webinar will be following soon. We thank you for your patience. In the meantime you can always reach out to us directly for help, either here or by emailing [email protected].

Thanks for the info. I'm sure the webinar will be helpful to many of us. I can live with manually importing the library presets although my experience with other digital consoles is that a show file should save and recall EVERYTHING and that is not the case with the x32. I have loaded a show file onto an x32 and had leftover bits from the last show file because some channels were safed. This is odd behavior to me as they are scene safes, I expect a show file to load everything and wipe out any scene safe settings.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure the webinar will be helpful to many of us. I can live with manually importing the library presets although my experience with other digital consoles is that a show file should save and recall EVERYTHING and that is not the case with the x32. I have loaded a show file onto an x32 and had leftover bits from the last show file because some channels were safed. This is odd behavior to me as they are scene safes, I expect a show file to load everything and wipe out any scene safe settings.
Make the first scene scene 0

Hello everybody. Weird issue. I'm freelancing today with a supplied x32, but have to mix via iPad (boo). On the desk itself the gate is set to gate and seems to be working properly. I the iPad app, the gate page shows that it's set up as a ducker. Both as the type, and on the graph. Switching the type to gate, changes the desk to expander 2, but then the graph on the iPad is correct. The actual gain reduction is correct on both the iPad and the desk.

Its not my desk or iPad, so I don't know if it's a software updating issue, and I'm not going to update someone else's rig. It would just be a great thing to tell the owner the solution and get some brownie points.

Did I mention that mixing on an iPad bugs the crap out of me? It's not the operation of it, it's the constant dropouts and slow updating. It's like that every time I have to work on an x32 via iPad. Different rigs, different rooms. It drives me insane!

Heres the software firmware:

desk: 2.06
I don't know where to find the iPad app version number, but I would assume it's the latest.

Re: Manual X32

My immediate concerns are with the "Converta-Shell" connector design. There has been so much made of the ESD shielding requirements specific to the X32, particularly the need to fully enclose the RJ45 plug as it mates with the etherCON panel connector. I don't have a "Converta-Shell" connector in front of me so I can't say with any real certainty but, looking at the online pictures, it seems that there might not be any direct electrical connection from the shell to the RJ45 plug. It is good to see that they are physically soldering the drain wire to the RJ45 plug on both ends--a practice that many of us have been using for years with shielded Cat5e.

Hello everybody. Weird issue. I'm freelancing today with a supplied x32, but have to mix via iPad (boo). On the desk itself the gate is set to gate and seems to be working properly. I the iPad app, the gate page shows that it's set up as a ducker. Both as the type, and on the graph. Switching the type to gate, changes the desk to expander 2, but then the graph on the iPad is correct. The actual gain reduction is correct on both the iPad and the desk.

Its not my desk or iPad, so I don't know if it's a software updating issue, and I'm not going to update someone else's rig. It would just be a great thing to tell the owner the solution and get some brownie points.

Did I mention that mixing on an iPad bugs the crap out of me? It's not the operation of it, it's the constant dropouts and slow updating. It's like that every time I have to work on an x32 via iPad. Different rigs, different rooms. It drives me insane!

Heres the software firmware:

desk: 2.06
I don't know where to find the iPad app version number, but I would assume it's the latest.
It sounds like the ipad app is on a lower version. Latest is v2.2.0 and you can find it on the connection screen at the bottom.