X32 Discussion

X32 with crackling sounds

I´m using a X32 as a distribution with just 2 inputs and 3 stereo outs,
I´m getting some not so loud crackling sound on all the outputs but not on headphone out and the recording.
No USB used.
The crackling sound appears say 1-10 times per 1/2 hour.
The version is 2.06.

Haven´t seen anyone else reporting this sort of behavior.

Any ideas.

Best regards
Gunnar Å

Re: X32 with crackling sounds

I´m using a X32 as a distribution with just 2 inputs and 3 stereo outs,
I´m getting some not so loud crackling sound on all the outputs but not on headphone out and the recording.
No USB used.
The crackling sound appears say 1-10 times per 1/2 hour.
The version is 2.06.

Haven´t seen anyone else reporting this sort of behavior.

Any ideas.

Best regards
Gunnar Å

I had exactly the same behavior while using unshielded CAT5 cable about 300 ft (100m). Shielded CAT5, especially pre-made with Neutrik Etherconns should cure it.

I guess the problem is static buildup on the mixer and stagebox when plugged to a different electrical circuits when there's no common ground (earth) wire between them. Cracking sound (and brief loss of audio in my case) may happens when this static charge goes through CAT5). Friend of mine was saying that using a grounded (3-prong) extension cord to power S16 from the same electrical outlet as the mixer helps, haven't tried it yet.

That doesn't seem right, there is no reason to have to run a cord like we did in the old analog days anymore, unless you are running some crazy analog gear connected to the analog out on the console itself or snake head to somewhere far away. The random popping sound might come from a sync issue, try checking out the clock sync setting, I've had that problem show up after linking two consoles and had to switch sync from internal to to aes50, and forgot to switch it back. The only static problem I can vouch for is when using utp ( use stp w/ metalized/soldered drain rj45 & ethercons), is it really dry there, or is the humidity is too high for that kind of static? Seems static problems mostly occur with direct discharge into utp cable... have you tried a different cable?

I had exactly the same behavior while using unshielded CAT5 cable about 300 ft (100m). Shielded CAT5, especially pre-made with Neutrik Etherconns should cure it.

I guess the problem is static buildup on the mixer and stagebox when plugged to a different electrical circuits when there's no common ground (earth) wire between them. Cracking sound (and brief loss of audio in my case) may happens when this static charge goes through CAT5). Friend of mine was saying that using a grounded (3-prong) extension cord to power S16 from the same electrical outlet as the mixer helps, haven't tried it yet.

Only time I experienced that was when an air-conditioning unit was creating some disturbance, and I'm not sure if the crackling came from the outputs or was just picked up on the way to the amps. This was very early days, before I started using an ups, and the disturbance would also cause little hiccups on the console itself.
Does it show up on the meters? Can you register it if you loop from an output to an input?

X32

With the graphic EQs in the effects page is there a way to save just one channel of the EQ and paste it into another EQ? Or can you only save and paste both channels at once?

Re: X32

I got excited when I noticed the X32 Mix app had an update, and then disappointed when I saw still no RTA support. I'm going to stop holding my breath and assume it probably won't happen....

How low is "low"? On the desk I would normally expect to see levels peaking between -18 and -12dBfs so those same levels would carry through to the DAW. Some people prefer to see much higher levels in the DAW although in my opinion, that's not the best way of working.

How low is "low"? On the desk I would normally expect to see levels peaking between -18 and -12dBfs so those same levels would carry through to the DAW. Some people prefer to see much higher levels in the DAW although in my opinion, that's not the best way of working.

+1. There is no reason to need "hot" levels in the DAW. Denis, Sheriton is right, -18 to -12 is about the right range for peaks.

Thank you for your answers, I know that it is of use to nothing to have high level in my DAW but I had a difference of-10dB between the console and my DAW, in fact I had an option of enfeeblement marked in Samplitude ;-)

Thank you all the same in all

Thank you for your answers, I know that it is of use to nothing to have high level in my DAW but I had a difference of-10dB between the console and my DAW, in fact I had an option of enfeeblement marked in Samplitude ;-)

Thank you all the same in all

That sounds about right if your daw shows +10dB as the top value on its meter, like most daw's does. The x32 shows 0dBFS as its top value so this would explain your 10dB in percieved difference.

iPad app proposal

Hello

I wish that I could open "double window" in iPad vertical position. Individual screens would be only slightly smaller than horizontal iPad mini single window

One could be open f.e. as DCA-faders while the other could be used for individual channel tweek or monitor setup or....

This feature would have dramatic improvement in workflow in my opinion.

This idea spurs from contemplation of attaching two iPad minis together for more flexibility.

Another way would be to have two or more pages sweepable in vertical direction. iPad held horizontally.

How greedy can I get :twisted:

Seems I can get very greedy - why not combine both - single page horizontally - two pages while iPad is vertical - in both cases vertical scrolling for more pages...

Last edited:
Re: iPad app proposal

Seems I can get very greedy - why not combine both - single page horizontally - two pages while iPad is vertical - in both cases vertical scrolling for more pages...

I allways used an ipad for the x32, I furchased an ipad solely for the x32.
Just recently I updated my older samsung tab10 and now I can run mixing station.
For some use the android app is far superior to my opinion. Mostly the custom layer, and the eq tab. (with RTA!!)
I did use the ipad at the same time, but found me to switch over to the android more and more.

Just setting delays on outputs while walking through the venue is for the ipad. However I get frustrated EACH time because I can't finetune the delays as good and easy as I want, adjusting means to far up or down, I think behringer has to look to the new soundcraft app, that's a joy to adjust... (It's for all settings to be honest also eq...)