X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

So are you saying that when he said - “However, the X32 journey has just begun. What we will be rolling out in September, will be fundamentally changing the audio industry.” – that he meant September of next year? :)

Nope - past announcements have had a lag of 4 to 12 months. In the case of the iX16 "coming soon" never did launch and then it was announced as a X18 and still waiting for that one. Almost 2 years of "coming soon" has passed for the DL1608 contender.

Nope - past announcements have had a lag of 4 to 12 months. In the case of the iX16 "coming soon" never did launch and then it was announced as a X18 and still waiting for that one. Almost 2 years of "coming soon" has passed for the DL1608 contender.

Yep. This is definitely one of the weak points Behringer has. My opinion is that this is a PR problem. They simply grease the skids too early (my taste). I like Apple's model a bit better. By the time Apple starts leaking information on a product, it is generally within 6 months of being for sale all over the world.

I will give Behringer credit though, when they release a product or update (X32 line anyway), it is pretty solid. Both Soundcraft and Allen & Heath's lower end console launches were not as smooth as the X32 by a long shot. Sure, they have eventually gotten there, but not as quickly as the X32 did, and at launch they were sorely lacking in features in many regards even once stability was established.

Yep. This is definitely one of the weak points Behringer has. My opinion is that this is a PR problem. They simply grease the skids too early (my taste). I like Apple's model a bit better. By the time Apple starts leaking information on a product, it is generally within 6 months of being for sale all over the world.

I will give Behringer credit though, when they release a product or update (X32 line anyway), it is pretty solid. Both Soundcraft and Allen & Heath's lower end console launches were not as smooth as the X32 by a long shot. Sure, they have eventually gotten there, but not as quickly as the X32 did, and at launch they were sorely lacking in features in many regards even once stability was established.
I am not making fan boy excuses for them but consider what they have started. Bought the flagship line of consoles, Midas, it's sister, KT, add in Turbo Sound, readjusted manufacturing and marketing for all, and top it off with a new plant. I know what it takes for a company to stand up new plants around the world and keep running, while M&A a few others. If they survive the ordeal and keep going they will be the next decades prime mover in the industry. They have 3 new contenders in the Digital live rack mixer field and holding on well. The copier is now being copied.

Because it is called a " mute group"

take it out of the group if you don't want it muted. I'd say they had it right and the others have a broken function.
I would prefer that it functioned like every other console that's been made for the last 30 years. There is a difference between a hard mute and a soft (group) mute.

I would prefer that it functioned like every other console that's been made for the last 30 years. There is a difference between a hard mute and a soft (group) mute.

It has been discussed over and over and it seems not to change. :x~:-x~:mad: They could make it an option if some think it should also function like it is now.

The result is that I don't use mute groups anymore. A hard mute has to stay in mute for me allways, whether a mute group is active or not.
If I want some grouping of mutes I use DCA's for them, allthough the result is not always what I like most. (Pre fader sends not muted)

Perhaps, temporarally, a bit of code could be written with a bit of middleware running on a laptop, to handle a new muting method using osc? It might not be slick, but it may fit the need for the time, till firmware gets updated? Just an idea...

You missed the point.
I don't want it UNmuted if it was muted manually.
The way it has been since mute groups were invented.

Perhaps, temporarally, a bit of code could be written with a bit of middleware running on a laptop, to handle a new muting method using osc? It might not be slick, but it may fit the need for the time, till firmware gets updated? Just an idea...

....till firmware gets updated.................
Yeah, this discussion have been going on since the early days, and two years in, there doesn't seem to be a strong consensus even though I think we were in general agreement back then that the hard mute was what most of us wanted. Maybe time for a vote to be organized.

....till firmware gets updated.................
Yeah, this discussion have been going on since the early days, and two years in, there doesn't seem to be a strong consensus even though I think we were in general agreement back then that the hard mute was what most of us wanted. Maybe time for a vote to be organized.

Per - I don't get it and the older consoles I worked on were all hard muting in and out from mute groups or one by one manually. On a PM3000 there was a Mute Safe for this kinda thing, in a group but you wanted it ignored.

So what happens? does the manual mute pull it out of a mute group? What happens when you want that channel back in that group? Does it get confusing knowing what you had or wanted grouped and what channels you muted manually that were in groups? Does it read your mind?

Does it create another logic level that keeps track of the manual mute? How many manual mutes vs groups deep does this logic go?
5 manuals overrides per/6 mute groups? I am trying to understand how it is applied and why the behavior is so much of a deal breaker, I was working a day job the last 15 years so I missed all this.

Maybe you bought the wrong board. If you wanted Yam mute groups you should pay $6K more for them if it is such a big deal and back off a $3k 95% pro board.

Per - I don't get it and the older consoles I worked on were all hard muting in and out from mute groups or one by one manually. On a PM3000 there was a Mute Safe for this kinda thing, in a group but you wanted it ignored.

So what happens? does the manual mute pull it out of a mute group? What happens when you want that channel back in that group? Does it get confusing knowing what you had or wanted grouped and what channels you muted manually that were in groups? Does it read your mind?

Does it create another logic level that keeps track of the manual mute? How many manual mutes vs groups deep does this logic go?
5 manuals overrides per/6 mute groups? I am trying to understand how it is applied and why the behavior is so much of a deal breaker, I was working a day job the last 15 years so I missed all this.

Maybe you bought the wrong board. If you wanted Yam mute groups you should pay $6K more for them if it is such a big deal and back off a $3k 95% pro board.

Edit, false statement: (At the moment, the logic doesn't go deep at all, last action counts. If a channel is part of two mute groups, and you mute the first group, then the second group, and you then unmute one of the groups, the channel is unmuted.)

The same with individual mutes, you can mute or unmute a channel at any time even if it is muted by a group, last action always counts. - Nothing gets pulled out of the group by an individual mute/unmute, it's just that last action always overrides previous actions.

I'm fine with hard or soft, I prefer hard, but can live with either. One popular suggestion is to make hard/soft behaviour a global option, and some are asking for more extensive options.
I created a poll on the Behringer forum http://forum.behringer.com/showthread.php?5143-Hard-or-soft-mute

Last edited:

Per -

I don't have my x32 handy, but on the editor (2.3), the mute groups are independent, a channel in both groups is not affected by on-off actions only one group. To unmute a channel in 2 groups requires unmuting both groups. I'm not addressing the "hard mute"...

-Tim T

Per -

I don't have my x32 handy, but on the editor (2.3), the mute groups are independent, a channel in both groups is not affected by on-off actions only one group. To unmute a channel in 2 groups requires unmuting both groups. I'm not addressing the "hard mute"...

-Tim T

It was mentioned on the B site that a long press on a mute could be used for a hard mute. That would be fine with me. In face a long press could launch it into a mute group safe mode, since mute safe sounds like what is happening.

Per -

-Tim T

Yes, you are right of course, my bad, I've added to the confusion surrounding mute behaviour.

Removing the xlr latches...

I took the time and removed my xlr latches since I hate latches on consoles and stageboxes.

I tried to document the process, but having the tools in one hand and the camera in the other made it slightly difficult :eek:~:-o~:eek:.

http://youtu.be/os-tpWad7Uc

Anyway, I hope it will help someone else if they want to remove those latches.

I didn't document on how to open the console/s16 but that should be pretty straight forward. If not, then you shouldn't perform this operation anyway...:blush:

Last edited:
Re: Removing the xlr latches...

I took the time and removed my xlr latches since I hate latches on consoles and stageboxes.

I tried to document the process, but having the tools in one hand and the camera in the other made it slightly difficult :eek:~:-o~:eek:.

http://youtu.be/os-tpWad7Uc

Anyway, I hope it will help someone else if they want to remove those latches.

I didn't document on how to open the console/s16 but that should be pretty straight forward. If not, then you shouldn't perform this operation anyway...:blush:

That was a fantastic video. The suspense was killing me!