X32 Discussion

Re: Removing the xlr latches...

On a gig the other day I had a very strange experience. I wonder, has anyone else experienced this?

In the middle of the first song of the first set the board reset on me. I also had a usb stick plugged in recording the 2-bus. When the board reset I could no longer access the usb stick. When I got it home I found its fat table had somehow been magically deleted.

Would you please provide more info?
Power? (Ups Y/N, type / model)
Firmware?
Thumbdrive model? Format?

All this and more please, makes troubleshooting issues fun for us...

On a gig the other day I had a very strange experience. I wonder, has anyone else experienced this?

In the middle of the first song of the first set the board reset on me. I also had a usb stick plugged in recording the 2-bus. When the board reset I could no longer access the usb stick. When I got it home I found its fat table had somehow been magically deleted.

It does sound like a power blip.

I'm not sure but I think that a faulty usb stick will cause a reboot...

We were one of these: http://www.subarupower.com/pspecs.aspx?pid=35

with 150' of 10ga feeder between the gennie and FOH. There was no UPS/APC - but nothing else in any of my racks lost power. Just the board restarted.
You only need appox. 20mS of voltage lower than 90V to have the x32 reboot. The other equipment might not be that sensitive...

FAT/FAT32 are not really designed for situations where power loss is likely (basically, for each write of data, at least one more is required to update the indexes, so if the power fails during one or the other, things go wrong), so it's of no real surprise that you lost everything on a reboot. Transactional file systems like ZFS/NTFS/BTFS etc were invented for this purpose, but their coding implementation is really hard to get right.

Bill Gates (or whoever it was) wrote FAT on an airplane in assembly (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2013/10/08/10454920.aspx) 30 odd years ago, so it can't be that difficult :)

Generator = fail.... Not a real generator = fail..Long distance cable run...... A whole rig on that geny, fail.... No ups.... You're checking all the boxes....

Have to agree. Running a digital desk without a UPS that has voltage regulation, especially on a genny - even a pro genny, is not wise. I run my X32's on a TRIPP-LITE SMART 500RT in a single space rack. Regulates voltage between 90-125 volts. I tested it with a vari-ac.

150' of 10AWG will run you 1% voltage loss. So if you started at the genny at 118, you'd have @ 116 at the end of the cable. About what you metered.

I had a situation where the client did not hire the requested genny. I found a couple of 2k Honda gennys for power when I arrived at the show site. Well, the digital amps in the powered speakers on monitors (NX520p) would output blaring, full-scale digital hash when the voltage dropped below a certain level. The performers were not amused.

Live and learn...

Re: X32 Discussion

Love the X12R, definitely putting in an order for that one. The bigger ones, they would have been great with AAES50 connectivity, as it is, they are too close to the X32Rack in size and will not make sense for someone that already have an X32.
For everybody else, the R-series is almost exactly what we asked for in a utility box. Thumbs up.

Re: X32 Discussion

Yep, X12R looks great.

Agree the bigger ones should have had AES - for me, I'd prefer AES to Ultranet. Never gonna use Ultranet, but as a smaller cheaper S16 they'd be great for me. :)