X32 Discussion

Re: X32-Q for Android Now Available

Hi all

I need a definitive answer before getting a dante card.

i want to replace the FireWire card in my x32 with the dante card but I use the x32 to control my daw (cubase)
if I get the dante card, will the x32 still control cubase in an identical manner to what it does now?

thanks
Pauly
Yes, and no...

With the xuf card you get midi over firewire/usb so this vill show up as any midi device on your computer.

With dante there is no such thing. Instead you need to connect the x32 physical midi ports to your computer midi interface to continue using the mackie mcu functionality.

When behringer finally enables rtp-midi on the x32, that is currently grayed out, you'll get midi over ethernet.

Ah-ha!
thanks Robert that makes sense. Are there any configuration changes I need to make to the x32 or can I just change the midi device in the daw and take it from there?

Thanks again
pauly

Hi all

I need a definitive answer before getting a dante card.

i want to replace the FireWire card in my x32 with the dante card but I use the x32 to control my daw (cubase)
if I get the dante card, will the x32 still control cubase in an identical manner to what it does now?

thanks
Pauly

Yes, and no...

With the xuf card you get midi over firewire/usb so this vill show up as any midi device on your computer.

With dante there is no such thing. Instead you need to connect the x32 physical midi ports to your computer midi interface to continue using the mackie mcu functionality.

When behringer finally enables rtp-midi on the x32, that is currently grayed out, you'll get midi over ethernet.

Ah-ha!
thanks Robert that makes sense. Are there any configuration changes I need to make to the x32 or can I just change the midi device in the daw and take it from there?

Thanks again
pauly
I don't think that you need to change any setting, but I'm not 100% sure.

You don't need a dante card to try this right away. If it doesn't work check the midi settings on your x32 to see if something obvious should be changed...

Hey good point!
I just checked the confic screen and I reckon it'll be as simple as changing the remote midi to midi in/out from FireWire midi....and away we go.

ill see if I can try that over the weekend and let you know

thanks
pauly

I don't think that you need to change any setting, but I'm not 100% sure.

You don't need a dante card to try this right away. If it doesn't work check the midi settings on your x32 to see if something obvious should be changed...

Bus Master Feedback?

In reading through the manual prepatory to hitting my rental house next week and its spandy new x32, I noted something that seems potentially dangerous, and I'm wondering if I'm reading it wrong.

If I go into Sends On Fader, and on the right, I pick a Bus Master 1-16 form layer 2 or 3...

can I not then go to the left and, on layer 4 (Bus Masters) send that bus back into itself causing feedback?

Or is layer Left 4 locked out when you're in SOF and on a bus master layer on the right?

Last edited:
Re: X32 Discussion

Nope. The system is unable to send a bus to another bus. As I recall, when you hit bus master layer on the left, it drops out of "sends on faders" mode.

Got it. Ok; I was hoping that it did something like that. It's not mentioned in the manual, though. Thanks. Wait: how do you send busses to the Matrixes, then? Just the manual way, I guess... And I guess that changes infrequently enough that digging for it isn't bad.

(I just thought to try it on xEdit, and you're right, selecting Left 4 clears SOF... but even when you have Right 4 selected. In fact, selecting DCA or Matrix on the right clears it.)

Last edited:

Select Bus 1-8 or Bus 9-16 on the right side, select the bus you are wanting to send to the Matrix, select Home (upper right of display), then the sends tab. The six Matrix sends for that Bus are displayed. If using X32-Edit, raise the appropriate fader with your mouse. If using the X32 work surface, rotate the appropriate encoder below the display. Make sure that the Matrix master output fader is not all the way down (-infinity) and that the matrix output is connected to an XLR output using BOTH the out 1-16 and xlr out tabs in the routing menu.

Nope. The system is unable to send a bus to another bus. As I recall, when you hit bus master layer on the left, it drops out of "sends on faders" mode.

The work around is that you select a bus as a input for a input channel (Look in the input config besides all other inputs you can select them), then you can rout it wherever you want. I do this sometimes if I want group eq and or compression. But be carefull, you can make a feedback loop very easily...

Re: Auto-mixing at last?

Just noticed that the new X Air series of mixers in the pipeline have Dugan-style automixing built in. Do we think that'll filter across to the X32 series too?
I read somewhere that the price for this was $299. Was it a typo? It seems impossibly cheap. If this is truly Dugan-based it will be incredible. In the meantime there is Friedrich Altheide's auto mixer software, which he is planning to improve.
Mick Berg.

I believe that in my travels this week I saw that there was a plugin for the waves rack that did Dugan automixing. I don't have a link handy though.

I believe that in my travels this week I saw that there was a plugin for the waves rack that did Dugan automixing. I don't have a link handy though.
Indeed there is, but it costs $500 and the Waves host software is also $500. And I believe that it is inserted pre-fader which is not good. (Not 100% sure about this.)

Friedrich is reworking his software so that Auto Gain (which TBH is not of use to me) and AutoMixer (which will be very useful if the Behringer automixer is not available for mixers other than the X-18) are separate applications.

Mick Berg.

X-Air Edit software?

Hi.
Does the X-Air Edit software actually exist yet? Although Behringer suggests we can download it it does not seem to be where I would expect it, ie in the downloads section of the X-Air.
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

The retail pricing I've seen is:
XR12 - $299
XR16 - $499
XR18 - $699

I have a few questions about these XR's, do they have phantom power? No mention of it anywhere. Are the preamps the same as in the X32? This is also not mentioned.
These things are dirt cheap and would be a great throw away mixers to replace some of the soundcraft my first mixers out there, but i hate to go any lower quality pre's than what are in the x32.

I read somewhere that the price for this was $299. Was it a typo? It seems impossibly cheap. If this is truly Dugan-based it will be incredible. In the meantime there is Friedrich Altheide's auto mixer software, which he is planning to improve.
Mick Berg.

The list price is $500 for the Waves Dugan Plugin. However, they had it on special for $299 recently and I believe that you can get it through Sweetwater for $299 as well. FWIW, I read that the X32 will have on board auto-mixing at some point.