X32 Discussion

Re: Promoting destination to the DCAs

It is not a good idea to assume that pink noise from any source is flat. And using an RTA to tweak an EQ trying to get a sound system to be linear in a room with pink noise is also not a good idea. That is why people use a program like SMAART (FFT) that compares the input to the output. I looked at the pink noise generator output using SMAART and it is not flat. The RTA on the X32 is really handy to get a visual of what is happening but probably not the best tool to tune a system with.

For the record, those were independent comments; I rang the room out by ear, against the hanging overhead mics.

I'm not all that surprised that the generator is crappy. I have a copy of Sound Check, for when I get to that point. There will eventually be a PC going in for a number of functions, though whether SMAART will be one of them depends a lot on budget.

Setting X-USB Card signal path?

After using this mixer for several months, I've finally gotten around to trying out the X-USB card for some multitrack recording. I have my audio routed to the X-USB card from the inputs on my 2 S16 boxes, but the audio is post-EQ and I *really* need a pre-EQ feed. Is there some setting I'm missing, or is there a known work-around to get a pre-EQ feed?

Re: Setting X-USB Card signal path?

After using this mixer for several months, I've finally gotten around to trying out the X-USB card for some multitrack recording. I have my audio routed to the X-USB card from the inputs on my 2 S16 boxes, but the audio is post-EQ and I *really* need a pre-EQ feed. Is there some setting I'm missing, or is there a known work-around to get a pre-EQ feed?

IS it? the tap as far as I am aware is the direct outs. The only way to record post any internal processing as far as I was aware is to go via the P16 outs- which limits you to 16 channels.

I'll check into it further this evening, but when I was playing with it the other day I could've sworn punching the EQ section in/out on the channel strip effected the signal I was getting.

I'll check into it further this evening, but when I was playing with it the other day I could've sworn punching the EQ section in/out on the channel strip effected the signal I was getting.

I can't imagine it's not the direct output, either, but the manual definitely does *not* say, in the Routing section *or* the section about the XUF card.

Unless you are recording the outputs the x-usb taps pre-everything, just like a direct-out.

Have you set the card to the aes50 ports?

I'm going claim mental fatigue for my previous post and not going back and working the problem before posting...

Routing the AES inputs to the X-USB card *does* tap the signal post-gain and pre-EQ. But... Routing the X-USB card inputs back through the board routes the signal through whatever processing is already present on those channels. Listening to the playback through headphones sounded very strange until I took the channel EQ out of the signal path, and I assumed it was an issue with the recorded material. It wasn't...

My apologies for the wild goose chase, but thanks to those who replied and made me work the problem.

New F/W 2.10

Just saw a post on FB that said they are very close to releasing 2.10. Anyone care to spill what the new features are/will be?
New X32 Firmware!
We are excited to announce that we are very close to releasing Firmware
2.10 for X32 Mixing Consoles. The update will offer some exciting new
features based YOUR feedback. As with all X32 updates, version 2.10 will
be available free of charge. Stay tuned here for more information!

Re: New F/W 2.10

Dear All,
As Dan pointed out, we are very close to Firmware 2.10. While I can't supply the final release notes just yet, I can say that a debate over a certain console function may soon be put to rest :). We will be sure to post here as soon as the update is available. Thanks for your patience!

Re: X32 Discussion

Yes, but did you choose an implementation for the fix that won't irritate a different group of people? :)

Regarding the channel mute/mute group behavior, I'm not acquainted with anyone who likes it the current way. When I manually mute a channel or output, I want it to stay that way when I use mute groups. The only thing that should change a manually muted channel should be a scene recall.

Regarding the channel mute/mute group behavior, I'm not acquainted with anyone who likes it the current way. When I manually mute a channel or output, I want it to stay that way when I use mute groups. The only thing that should change a manually muted channel should be a scene recall.

So long as I can switch it from the way it is now and the way others want it to be I am ok.

What I am concerned about is that they will deploy a new mute groups facility that /also/ does not work the way working engineers want it to work.

And, I mean, I don't mean to suggest that their designers are idiots, but on the other hand they did ship the mute groups implementation that they shipped... :-}

And, I mean, I don't mean to suggest that their designers are idiots, but on the other hand they did ship the mute groups implementation that they shipped... :-}

Given that the implemented version is the easiest (last action counts), and that a surprisingly high fraction of users prefers it that way, the design choice isn't really surprising.
Now, the actual implementation we will see now isn't all that obvious either. Although the analog consoles that we are often referring to have "hard" group mutes that are not overridden by single channel unmute action (everything is strictly inclusive OR), my guess is that nobody wants that even though some might be used to it. I believe most of us want to keep the channel unmute last action counts behaviour.
Most of us are probably used to getting what we expressively didn't want, so either way we'll get what we are used to :razz: