X32 Discussion

re: X32 Discussion

So...I just went through trying to replicate exactly what you were talking about and I am pretty sure that I understand it now. And so instead of writing out a super long reply on how to overcome the saving scene problem, I just recorded a video and uploaded it on youtube.

Behringer X32 - Saving scenes - YouTube

Hope this answers your original question.

The solution is more of a workaround than a solution, but it is definitely a ton easier to save changes on the console than it is to save changes on the offline editor.
I watched the video and I appreciate your wanting to help me. But the thing you don’t seem to understand is I know how to do things the way you are trying to show me. What I am saying is those ways are too slow for how I need to run these types of shows, musical theater.

I am trying to make the point that if it doesn’t work very fast the X32 will not work for me. Workarounds are too slow.

I will say it again so people hopefully don’t misunderstand. I think that the X32 is a very good console for the price and if it would work the way I need it to that would be great. But if it can’t be made to work the way I need it too then it isn’t for me. And I know I am expecting a lot from a console in this price range, but it looks like it is so close to meeting my needs.

You can try one thing for me on the X32 since you have it set up with the scenes. In the scene view make it so the gray bar goes away. For example select scene 2 you will see the gray bar on scene 3, click again on scene 2 like you are going to save it. Now hit the go button. Does it advance to scene 3 or are you stuck in scene 2 and the go button is doing nothing. Try the same thing in Xcontrol and observe the behavior. Does the console and the Xcontrol software behave the same way? I am not looking for the connected behavior just how each of these things behaves when done on the different platforms. Please let me know what happens.

I watched the video and I appreciate your wanting to help me. But the thing you don’t seem to understand is I know how to do things the way you are trying to show me. What I am saying is those ways are too slow for how I need to run these types of shows, musical theater.

I am trying to make the point that if it doesn’t work very fast the X32 will not work for me. Workarounds are too slow.

I will say it again so people hopefully don’t misunderstand. I think that the X32 is a very good console for the price and if it would work the way I need it to that would be great. But if it can’t be made to work the way I need it too then it isn’t for me. And I know I am expecting a lot from a console in this price range, but it looks like it is so close to meeting my needs.

You can try one thing for me on the X32 since you have it set up with the scenes. In the scene view make it so the gray bar goes away. For example select scene 2 you will see the gray bar on scene 3, click again on scene 2 like you are going to save it. Now hit the go button. Does it advance to scene 3 or are you stuck in scene 2 and the go button is doing nothing. Try the same thing in Xcontrol and observe the behavior. Does the console and the Xcontrol software behave the same way? I am not looking for the connected behavior just how each of these things behaves when done on the different platforms. Please let me know what happens.

Ok, I understand. I was just trying to answer your original post while reproducing the behavior you described in your second post

Would someone with an X32 please do me a favor and test this behavior?

If you have a bunch of scenes on the console and you are hitting the go button to step thru them. And then while in the middle of the list you go to save some changes you just made in the recalled scene. Is the console actually saving to the scene you just recalled with the go button or are is it actually saving it to the next scene?

And even when I was saving scenes the way you described all I could think of was that it was an obnoxious way of having to go back to save changes, so I totally agree with you that it's way too slow. It sort of defeats the purpose of having the "Scene Go Next" feature if it defaults to saving the changes to next scene as opposed to the one it is currently on, and then in addition to that it makes the "Go" button useless until you move the grey bar to the next scene.

And so for this:

On the X32 it does exactly that. If you have the "scene go next" activated, then in the scenes view you move the grey bar, that is on scene 3, to scene 2 (which is currently highlighted with the orange bar) so that all that is there now is the orange bar on scene 2, the "Go" button becomes useless. Press it and it will not go to the next scene.

And it looks like it does the same exact thing on the XControl Editor. The "Go" button becomes useless.

48v on Monitor/Control Room Outs

Hi,

Is there any problem if the Monitor/Control Room Outs are attached to a device supplying phantom power?

Thanks.

Eric H.

I am not having any luck connecting my laptop to the console via the network port.

I am using direct connection (no router or switch). Do I need to use a crossover cable or standard network cable?

I am entering the same ip address for the mixer in both the network tab on the console and in the xicontrol editor. It I different then the pc ip.

The subnet mask I set as 255.255.255.0 and the gateway I set as the same as mixer ip.

What ami doing wrong? Xicontrol never "see's" the console to connect to it.

In addition to the connection issue. How do I load an exported .scn file either from a USB thumb drive or into xicontrol? *EDIT* Got this sorted out and know how to do it now. I didn't realize the "Utility" key added more functionality>

I have som questions about using reaper daw software and the USB port. If anyone has experience with this please let me know. I am trying to setup to record 16x16 so I can do a virtual sound check. I know next to nothing about th software.

Thanks for any help.
Jared

Last edited:
Personally, I suggest you not do this. Some gear (Yamaha for example) seems to survive it but much gear does not. My LS9 didn't break when I did it by mistake but it also didn't pass audio real well at that time.
Use a reverse xformer DI or a real isolation xformer.

Hi,

Is there any problem if the Monitor/Control Room Outs are attached to a device supplying phantom power?

Thanks.

Eric H.

Sent from my iPhone

I am not having any luck connecting my laptop to the console via the network port.

I am using direct connection (no router or switch). Do I need to use a crossover cable or standard network cable?

I haven't tried it. But, you'd use a crossover cable in this case.

PC

IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.2

X32

IP: 192.168.1.2
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

You should be able to ping the X32 from the PC. (Start | Run | cmd | ping 192.168.1.2)

Eric H.

(Clarification: A normal network cable will probably work. Also, leaving the Default Gateway blank will probably work. However, if I were diagnosing a non-working configuration, I would include both in my test procedure.)

Last edited:

After reading all 93 pages I have a question. Is it possible to select a "card" input for the USB input? If not, is it possible to hook up an "idevice" to the USB? Just trying to find the best way to get digital into the console. I know that you can change AUX1-4 to CARD 1-4. I would rather use the USB input as I currently do not have a use for the USB "stick" playback.

Thanks

I am entering the same ip address for the mixer in both the network tab on the console and in the xicontrol editor. It I different then the pc ip.

The subnet mask I set as 255.255.255.0 and the gateway I set as the same as mixer ip.

What ami doing wrong? Xicontrol never "see's" the console to connect to it.

First, you don't have to use a crossover cable, a normal one will do the trick

I think I had the same problem than yours.

My pc have a wifi card so when I typed then IP adress, I typed in fact the IP from the wifi and not the one from the ethernet card.

To know the good adress, go in Execute in the start menu.

Type Cmd

A black window is opening.

Type ipconfig

You'll see the adress of the ethernet card and the subnet mask.

I Hope this will help :)

After reading all 93 pages I have a question. Is it possible to select a "card" input for the USB input? If not, is it possible to hook up an "idevice" to the USB? Just trying to find the best way to get digital into the console. I know that you can change AUX1-4 to CARD 1-4. I would rather use the USB input as I currently do not have a use for the USB "stick" playback.

Thanks
The USB is on Aux channel 7-8 and you can select any Card, Aux, Fx or Bus as the source for these Aux channels. That doesn't give you any file functionality though, and you can't control the source.
I haven't tried to plug a lot of things into the USB, and my little USB-stick media player didn't get recognized. I guess only devices that uses the generic driver works, which rules out most "i-devices"

I haven't tried it. But, you'd use a crossover cable in this case.

PC

IP: 192.168.1.1
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.2

X32

IP: 192.168.1.2
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

You should be able to ping the X32 from the PC. (Start | Run | cmd | ping 192.168.1.2)

Eric H.

You don't need to bother setting the gateway address - both machines are on the same subnet (192.168.1.0/24) and will ARP for the neighbour's MAC address and send directly using that. Worked first time for me.

Ok, I understand. I was just trying to answer your original post while reproducing the behavior you described in your second post

And even when I was saving scenes the way you described all I could think of was that it was an obnoxious way of having to go back to save changes, so I totally agree with you that it's way too slow. It sort of defeats the purpose of having the "Scene Go Next" feature if it defaults to saving the changes to next scene as opposed to the one it is currently on, and then in addition to that it makes the "Go" button useless until you move the grey bar to the next scene.

And so for this:

On the X32 it does exactly that. If you have the "scene go next" activated, then in the scenes view you move the grey bar, that is on scene 3, to scene 2 (which is currently highlighted with the orange bar) so that all that is there now is the orange bar on scene 2, the "Go" button becomes useless. Press it and it will not go to the next scene.

And it looks like it does the same exact thing on the XControl Editor. The "Go" button becomes useless.

I don't have an X32 and haven't work with it but when you move the gray area when storing a scene isn't that the location the scene will be stored in? As an example.
I'm on scene 1.
I want to store some changes I did on this scene to scene 5. I cursor down so the gray area is in scene 5. Store it.
Now scene 1 changes are in scene 5?

If it works this way can the gray area be moved to scene 1 when in scene 1? To over write the current stored scene?

Douglas R. Allen

I don't have an X32 and haven't work with it but when you move the gray area when storing a scene isn't that the location the scene will be stored in? As an example.
I'm on scene 1.
I want to store some changes I did on this scene to scene 5. I cursor down so the gray area is in scene 5. Store it.
Now scene 1 changes are in scene 5?

If it works this way can the gray area be moved to scene 1 when in scene 1? To over write the current stored scene?

Douglas R. Allen

Correct. It will store in the grey scene number, which also is the small scene number in the top of the display, the big one is the active scene. Cursor up down or move with the < and > scene buttons in the scene button area. Overwriting wil prompt you if you set it to prompt for overwrites, which sometimes can be handy, other times not, but the choise is there.
I don't really find any faults with scene managment except missing the ability to insert a scene (and more scenes are allways handy of course)

You can specify each send individually for each track
Hello Per,
what do you mean ? What I want is per example have 14 mixbuses configured post fader, all for monitor mixing duty. Is it feasible ? I read the manual 2 times, I do not find the root for it.

regards,

othmane

You don't need to bother setting the gateway address - both machines are on the same subnet (192.168.1.0/24) and will ARP for the neighbour's MAC address and send directly using that. Worked first time for me.

I don't want to get too OT... But, have you ever seen that process not work? (Not with the X32 per se, just in general.) If memory serves me, sometimes it doesn't. I'll have to ask my network engineer sometime.

Eric H.

I should have mentioned to the OP that a normal cable would probably work.

As an aside, although Auto-MDIX usually works, we still use crossover cables all the time.

Eric H.

Well nothing else was working so that was the only thing we havent tried.

So to confirm, all I have to do on the console is insert an ip address, I dont need a subnet or gateway? And on in Xcontrol I simply type in the same IP that is showing on the console network tab?

If that doesnt work then what do I try?

I don't want to get too OT... But, have you ever seen that process not work? (Not with the X32 per se, just in general.) If memory serves me, sometimes it doesn't. I'll have to ask my network engineer sometime.

Eric H.

Only when one of the machines has a faulty IP stack, and/or suffers from an ARP bug when it sees unsolicited ARP broadcasts - which some hosts generate when their network interface comes up. I think I've seen it once or maybe twice in 25 years working on IP networks, and not on any current IP stacks.

But certainly it works fine between the X32 and a Windows XP or 7 platform as that's what I'm using.

Hello Per,
what do you mean ? What I want is per example have 14 mixbuses configured post fader, all for monitor mixing duty. Is it feasible ? I read the manual 2 times, I do not find the root for it.

regards,

othmane

Try this:

Press the "Sends on Fader" button
Press the "Home" button next to the LCD screen
Use the right-arrow to move to the "Config" tab
Select the bus you want to configure by hitting it's "Select" button in the master section (make sure you're on "bus 1-8" or "bus 9-16")
Now, the 3rd rotary knob below the LCD (from the left) will allow you to configure the mix bus (in PAIRS, actually) between Pre EQ, Post EQ, Pre Fader, Post Fader or SubGroup.
Select your configuration of choice and press the rotary encoder to commit the change. You'll probably have to follow-up by hitting the "Yes" (Page Select right) to confirm, because you're only able to assign in pairs, and this change will impact 2 mix busses.

I hope I've understood what you're looking to do - if not, my apologies...

Don

Re: Reaper & USB over XUF card

Thanks for the tips Eric. :)
If the USB setup gives me grief, I'll certainly look into the Firewire card like you suggested.

Your welcome. There's lots of misunderstanding about Firewire, and cheap chipsets with poor drivers don't help. But for high bandwidth and even more important, low latency needs, nothing beats it - except perhaps Thunderbolt! It should surprise no one USB is CPU intensive - it was pushed by Intel, a CPU manufacturer ;)~;-)~:wink: Being simpler and CPU dependent also made USB cheaper to implement which, particularly in the clone/Windows space, has always been paramount. Hopefully USB will be good enough for you, but if you seem to be having performance problems FireWire might lower the overall system overhead enough where your current box will be sufficient. And even though I'm not in love with the interface changes, I've found Windows 8 to be about 20% faster on the four system's I loaded it on vs. Windows 7 - Microsoft has really cleaned up parts of the kernel and driver interfaces, particularly in video - grabbing a free copy of the release candidate before that shuts down to do some testing might be fruitful too. I'm really impressed with the technical performance of Windows 8, even if the forced UI changes piss me off...