X32 Discussion

re: X32 Discussion

Installed the console and I'm testing every channel. It appears I can't get input from channels 9-16 or 25-32. Haven't test all the outputs yet except for 15/16.

I've verified the routing is all set to local inputs, and when I assign inputs 9-16 to local 1-8 I get signal on those channels. Perhaps I have two bad 8 channel input cards. Unless this is something I'm missing I'm none too pleased about this. To be fair, the same thing happened with our SC48 output card so I'm not gonna knock Behringer on this, but can someone from tech support please contact me?

I've been on hold waiting to speak with tech support for 20 minutes and have don't have time to sit on my phone all day.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also tried doing a firmware update but when I plug in the usb stick and power on it won't update so I'm stuck on 1.02.

Just an update for this situation. I'm very pleased with the support I received from Behringer. I pm'd Joe Sanborn about this and received a call back within 10 minutes. After I mentioned that I'm in NYC he said that John Dinicola lives close by in NJ and would be able to help me out. So John calls me a few minutes after I get off the phone with Joe and we arrange for him to come by the club yesterday afternoon.

I should mention he offered to come the same day but I already had our old Venice installed again and it was Saturday night and too late to swap consoles at that point but I thought it was great that he offered.

So John swings by the club in Harlem yesterday and confirms no input from channels 9-16, and 25-32. He then gave me the option of him taking the desk and having it fixed and leaving the loaner X32 he brought, or him fixing it there on site. I opted for the latter as it would be easier for everyone involved and was assured the warranty would be fully intact.

He pops open the console and checked all the ribbon cables. Although it appeared everything was fully seated, he unplugged and re seated the two corresponding ribbon cables and sure enough I had signals on those channels now.

After we did a noise test on every channel and we ran into the issue with noise on channel 16 due to a power cable running too close to the preamp on channel 16. So we opened the console up again (luckily hadn't put all the screws back yet) and he re-routed that power cable which required unplugging the ribbon cables for the output cards. We tested 16 and it was clean and then tested all inputs and outputs one more time to be sure and all was good.

John is a super nice guy and very easy going. I was impressed that someone was able to personally come by the club and address the issue and to me this indicates that Behringer is very serious about making sure customers are happy with their purchase.

As for the X32 I won't be installing until Thursday but spent a couple hours configuring and playing around with it last night and so far really like it. I also tested the firewire recording function and card playback with a Reaper session I had on my laptop and had absolutely zero issues getting it setup. Installed the driver on the comp, and Reaper saw the X32 right away. This is important because we do a lot of multri-track recording there and that was one of the major selling points for me and this will make my life much easier than dealing with out current Fostex hard disc recorder.

So thanks again Joe and John, if either of you are ever in the area you're more than invited to check out the show and have a few beers on the house.

EDIT: Oh and I was able to update the firmware by forcing a reboot by switching sample rates with the usb stick in.

The other way is via sub-groups. The Channel is routed to a Bus (configured as a sub-group). Then, the Bus sends the signal to L/R. (Or, wherever you want.)

This isn't necessarily targeted at Eric - he just triggered the thought 8)~:cool:~:cool:

Does anyone have a block diagram for signal flow? There were some block diagrams on a few of the screens, but having a system-wide diagram with indications of where things can be changed via the routing screens would really help me wrap my head around many of these conversations. And if not, I may go ahead and start working on my own - if nothing else I have found documenting systems can be the fastest and best way to learn them! I think I just talked myself into it - now to start digging for the fundamental information and get a first crack out there.

I don't really find any faults with scene managment except missing the ability to insert a scene (and more scenes are allways handy of course)

What seems to be missing, and here I agree with Kevin and Forrest, is a quick way to save the state of the board to the current scene. Even better, without being prompted to confirm.

Unless I'm missing something - but I noticed this right away on the console I was playing with in Guitar Center. Forrest's video pointing out moving the grey bar now makes sense, and I didn't pick up on that subtly in the hour or so I fiddled with the demo console - but the way it behaves now was certainly counter-intuative to me. I'm with Kevin - if I'm in a live situation, and I need to make a change and then save it "on the fly" for later, the current workflow is cumbersome, to say the least!

I don't want to get too OT... But, have you ever seen that process not work? (Not with the X32 per se, just in general.) If memory serves me, sometimes it doesn't. I'll have to ask my network engineer sometime.

It depends on the quality of the network driver on the device your are using :razz:

Since you are communicating with two devices on the same subnet, the gateway should have absolutely no bearing on any of the desired communication. The key word being "should". So whether the GW is empty or has an IP shouldn't matter in the least since it's "extra information". On some poorly written drivers, Weird Things can happen, so when in doubt fill it out.

It would be cool if, like with Mikrotik routers, UDP communications was supported between Xcontrol and the X32. At that point the network settings are irrelevant - plug in an ethernet cable, verify link is established (i.e. if your computer does do auto crossover, use a cross over cord). If the two devices are in the same ethernet collision domain (layer 2 - same switch/hub) they can see each other no matter what the IP settings are - you would pick the console by it's ethernet MAC address from inside of Xcontrol.

It's one of the slickest features of the Mikrotik routers - their config software can always find the router since the network settings don't matter (handy for if you bork the IP settings on the router and can't or don't want to connect another way like serial).

The 1.09 Firmware is now available on the Behringer website!

Kind regards,

Chase McKnight
Music Group

Last edited:

What seems to be missing, and here I agree with Kevin and Forrest, is a quick way to save the state of the board to the current scene. Even better, without being prompted to confirm.

Unless I'm missing something - but I noticed this right away on the console I was playing with in Guitar Center. Forrest's video pointing out moving the grey bar now makes sense, and I didn't pick up on that subtly in the hour or so I fiddled with the demo console - but the way it behaves now was certainly counter-intuative to me. I'm with Kevin - if I'm in a live situation, and I need to make a change and then save it "on the fly" for later, the current workflow is cumbersome, to say the least!

The prompt to confirm can be eliminated. It is one of the choices in the setup menus. But that only fixes part of the problem.

The prompt to confirm can be eliminated. It is one of the choices in the setup menus. But that only fixes part of the problem.

I know the prompt to confirm loading can be eliminated, but I didn't catch that the prompt to confirm saving could also be eliminated.

Hi Kevin,

As promised I spoke to our lead X32 developer about your issue and this is what he reported back:

"What Kevin referred to is actually related to the Setup/Global setting "Scene Go Next", which automatically sets the selection to the next scene in line. While this is useful for just pressing GO repeatedly proceeding through the show, without having to press NEXT in between. But, it obviously also means that the selection is one ahead of what is currently active, and when you press Save, it would correctly be stored in the next scene.
If the customer does not like it that way, they should just switch off the "Scene Go Next" function."

Giving you the option to switch this function on and off, allows you to develop your show with it OFF and run it at show time with it ON. I understand that may not be perfect for your specific application, but it was how they designed the console. If this comes up as a common concern in theatre, we could work on a better solution.

I hope that answers your question.

Best
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Hi Kevin,

As promised I spoke to our lead X32 developer about your issue and this is what he reported back:

"What Kevin referred to is actually related to the Setup/Global setting "Scene Go Next", which automatically sets the selection to the next scene in line. While this is useful for just pressing GO repeatedly proceeding through the show, without having to press NEXT in between. But, it obviously also means that the selection is one ahead of what is currently active, and when you press Save, it would correctly be stored in the next scene.
If the customer does not like it that way, they should just switch off the "Scene Go Next" function."

Giving you the option to switch this function on and off, allows you to develop your show with it OFF and run it at show time with it ON. I understand that may not be perfect for your specific application, but it was how they designed the console. If this comes up as a common concern in theatre, we could work on a better solution.

I hope that answers your question.

Best
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

I should have realized it was too good to be true. Yet another digital console that is designed by people that have no concept of what is needed for musical theater. The show is never finalized; changes are being made until the show is over. Looks like it is back to renting consoles for these shows.

Joe – thank you for all of your help. I am assuming that you don’t handle the Midas pro series consoles.

Re: XUF I/O Routing - A question?

All:
Newbie question. If you are just using the x32 in mono, how would you setup the routing? How would you setup the panning mode in the Global and your output assignments? Will this show up on your metering?

Thanks

I should have realized it was too good to be true. Yet another digital console that is designed by people that have no concept of what is needed for musical theater. The show is never finalized; changes are being made until the show is over. Looks like it is back to renting consoles for these shows.

Joe – thank you for all of your help. I am assuming that you don’t handle the Midas pro series consoles.

Wow, that was pretty fucking harsh, Kevin. For a sub $3K console they seem to be building in a lot of options, and certainly need to make it as general purpose as possible.

Wow, that was pretty fucking harsh, Kevin. For a sub $3K console they seem to be building in a lot of options, and certainly need to make it as general purpose as possible.

+1 I'm gearing up to do a local theatre production with the X32, so I've been playing around with it in the shop for the last few days. I'm convinced that with a laptop running XControl I can pull off of a show that will exceed what was done by our competitors in previous years.

I would like to see a higher scene count and the ability to insert scenes in the future, but for $3000 we are getting our money's worth IMO.

The USB is on Aux channel 7-8 and you can select any Card, Aux, Fx or Bus as the source for these Aux channels. That doesn't give you any file functionality though, and you can't control the source.
I haven't tried to plug a lot of things into the USB, and my little USB-stick media player didn't get recognized. I guess only devices that uses the generic driver works, which rules out most "i-devices"

I do not have my console yet, so I have been using the Xcontrol program and doing a lot of reading. If i select AUX7 and go to change the input I can select any channel 1-32, AUX 1-6, USB L-R, FX 1-4, or BUS 1-16. I do not see any way to change to Card (USB/Firewire) input. The only way I can see to get something in from the computer would be to burn some inputs/AUXs and I am trying not to do that. Can this be done and I just missed it in the menus? Is it only on the X32 itself? Or just not possible?

I do not have my console yet, so I have been using the Xcontrol program and doing a lot of reading. If i select AUX7 and go to change the input I can select any channel 1-32, AUX 1-6, USB L-R, FX 1-4, or BUS 1-16. I do not see any way to change to Card (USB/Firewire) input. The only way I can see to get something in from the computer would be to burn some inputs/AUXs and I am trying not to do that. Can this be done and I just missed it in the menus? Is it only on the X32 itself? Or just not possible?

On the Routing tab, under Aux 1-4 select "Card 1-4". Try that.

Hello Per,
what do you mean ? What I want is per example have 14 mixbuses configured post fader, all for monitor mixing duty. Is it feasible ? I read the manual 2 times, I do not find the root for it.

pre-post.jpg

On the channel screen, "HOME" on the menu buttons, you'll find a "sends" tab. Each two sends can be Pre EQ, Post EQ, Pre Fader, Post Fader or Sub Group. Five options right there, plus the option to move the dynamics pre or post eq, giving you a sixth send option. But in your case, just select Post Fader on everything and you're set.

But go with Donald's method, a lot quicker http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/4393-x32-discussion-93.html#post38129

Last edited:

I agree Bennett, IT'S A FUCKING CONSOLE THAT WAS PRIMARILY DESIGNED FOR LIVE SOUND PEOPLE!!!!! That was what I bought it for, no need to have a shit fit because it does not have enough scenes or whatever. People were kind enough to offer help and suggestions, and they were spoken to in condescending overtones. At least this board offers various features to get you started whether used for recording or theater work. Sorry to go off topic, carry on.

In fairness to the X32, it's not marketed as a console for musical theater. And at $3k, I don't expect it to replace a Digico SD7T, a PM5D or even an M7. I work in theater, I mix musicals occasionally, and I understand your concerns and frustration but the X32 wasn't meant to address them at the level you work at.

Have fun, happy mixing.

Tim Mc

It doesn't matter if it's free if it doesn't do the job required. I suspect Kevin is a little frustrated and I appreciate that he started a new thread, while the discussion still ends up here.

Of course even digital consoles can not be all things to all people, but there is no reason why Behringer can not mine this particular niche later, after they put out the more pressing fires.

While I have been actively trying to not follow this thread, it sounds like Kevin's needs do not require major hardware upgrades like some of the other whines (higher sample rate, etc), but perhaps a revisit of the software interface to better match his, and others like his, specific work flow.

While I would never make promises for someone else to keep, I would advise a little patience. This is a large enough niche to pursue if it's only a cut of software away.

(only software.. hah... ) :) .

JR

Hi Kevin,

As always, thanks for the feedback.

I think at the end of the day, each person must decide if a product works for their application or not.

As far as BEHRINGER, I can say we tried:
- I arranged a 3-hour personal demo for you.
- I escalated your question to our development team, and got an answer.

We all might not like the answer, but we are listening and might be able to implement this if there is enough need for this feature. Maybe you have helped us identify a feature that would open the X32 up to the theatre world. For this I say, "thanks".

The console has been in the market for about 1 month...please give us some time. Some features are easy to instantly add, and others either take time to implement and must be prioritized, or are too costly to implement, and go outside the original design of the product.

The most important thing is we are trying to listen you, the customer, and improve an already feature-packed product, offered at an incredible price-point.

I can put you in touch with the Midas people in Las Vegas, and they would be very happy to help you in securing a Midas console if you think that is the best solution for you.

Either way, we are here to serve you and hopefully one day, earn your business.

Best
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER