X32 Discussion

re: X32 Discussion

Hi Chris,
First off thanks for the kind words on the X32. Great to hear you are getting the results you are looking for!

As far ast the headphone level, I will have a discussion with our product development guys. I have not heard this as an issue but will have a discussion about it.

I sent you my cell in a PM, call and we will get the 16/32 noise issue cleared up.

Best
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group

I'm trying to use the X32 Card with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Cakewalk Sonar Producer.

I've installed the Behringer USB Driver.

Installed XControl That runs well and syncs to the console.

Sonar show the XUF driver as an audio option.

However it seems to default to only MME driver option inside Sonar. Changing it to WDM or ASIO disables the XUF audio.

Route the USB X-UF Card to Aux 1-4 Input

Getting crackling noise over the audio.

Nothing seems to get rid of that.

I'm thinking about turning to the Firewire option instead.

Any recommended Firewire cards? And what type of firewire cable is required? 4 pin 6 pin etc?

Hi Liam,
I just received an NFR copy of Sonar. We will be testing next week and see what we find. I really think this is a PC/Sonar issue. The X32 has worked flawless with PT, Logic and even the Free Reaper app on a PC.

Hope to have some info on this in the coming week.

Best
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group

Bad Times!

My excitement at the X32 took a slight downward slope this evening when the desk decided to crash 5 mins into the last show of the current production I was doing!

Didn't really have time to examine the problem much, only to say that it was almost like everything just stuck in a state. The meters kept working, the faders and buttons did nothing! So rebooting in the middle of musical number wasn't great, but had to be done. When it came back on it did something along the lines of the sequence when doing a firmware update, then everything was fine.

I was recording at the time it 'stuck' on a USB device so hope that was just a bit dodgy and nothing else! I've not had a problem all week and did do a recording on the same stick this afternoon. I am wondering if the black recovery sequence actually wrote anything to the USB stick. I will check when I can get it back.

Anyone else experienced this kind of problem yet? Sort of took the edge of the show and I was relieved when the curtain came down! Testing time tomorrow I think.

Bad Times!

My excitement at the X32 took a slight downward slope this evening when the desk decided to crash 5 mins into the last show of the current production I was doing!

Didn't really have time to examine the problem much, only to say that it was almost like everything just stuck in a state. The meters kept working, the faders and buttons did nothing! So rebooting in the middle of musical number wasn't great, but had to be done. When it came back on it did something along the lines of the sequence when doing a firmware update, then everything was fine.

I was recording at the time it 'stuck' on a USB device so hope that was just a bit dodgy and nothing else! I've not had a problem all week and did do a recording on the same stick this afternoon. I am wondering if the black recovery sequence actually wrote anything to the USB stick. I will check when I can get it back.

Anyone else experienced this kind of problem yet? Sort of took the edge of the show and I was relieved when the curtain came down! Testing time tomorrow I think.

Hi Mark,
Sorry to hear you had a crash.

Question, are you using a UPS, (un-interrupted power supply)?
If you have a sag in power below 85v for 20MS, the X32 can reboot or shut down. A UPS is highly recommended in the manual.
This is common on all digital devices, particular on digital consoles. On analog consoles they might seem to working, but lose fidelity as your have power sags.
Many power amps do the same thing as power becomes unstable.

If I can be of any help please send me a PM.

Best
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group

Hi Joe, a ups is on order and due on Monday anyway. That did cross my mind as the theatre is a bit interesting to say the least. I am sure it's nothing too drastic. On another note the desk has sounded amazing this week. Many great comments on a complicated show! Thanks for the quick response.

....As far ast the headphone level, I will have a discussion with our product development guys. I have not heard this as an issue but will have a discussion about it....

Best
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group

I would suggest comparing the headphone max output level (volume/db's) on the X32 against other comparable digital and analog boards. Thanks as always for such prompt attention to customer feedback! -Rob

Hi Liam,
I just received an NFR copy of Sonar. We will be testing next week and see what we find. I really think this is a PC/Sonar issue. The X32 has worked flawless with PT, Logic and even the Free Reaper app on a PC.

Best
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group

Thanks, Joe. I've had slightly better luck using Ableton Live - the beta 64 bit version. I've just plugged my X32 usb cable from the X_UF into the PC's rear usb port which I believe is a usb version 2 one. That may be the cause of the noise - the fact that my front post is probably usb 1.

Tomorrow I'll try the new arrangement and see if the noise has gone.

Can you tell us what sort of driver is the Behringer USB driver? WDM, MME, ASIO or what?

Liam

I'm thinking about turning to the Firewire option instead.
Any recommended Firewire cards? And what type of firewire cable is required? 4 pin 6 pin etc?

There are a number of posts in this thread - the consensus on several audio forums I have been reading is the SIIG brand cards seem to be pretty consistent. As for 6 vs 4 pins, 6 pin caries power. I don't think that's an issue for the X32 :)

monoprice.com has great deals on FW cables...

Hi Liam,

Best
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group

Hi Joe, well the USB cable plugged into the rear USB 2 port on my PC worked like a charm.

Crystal clear audio. I think the audio quality is superb.

Just listening to two audio drum loops from Ableton Live and it sounds awesome.

I can hardly believe how good the sounds are compared to previous setups.

Must set the default dB (saw that option somewhere) to a lower default as this thing is loud. Really loud. All my Live faders and X32 faders are down really low right now.

So far so good.

I'll try the X32 with Sonar X2 again. I suspect it will work just fine now. And having tested Sonar X2, yes, its working great.

This is audio heaven.

BTW thanks for the interesting Webinar yesterday. Very useful and informative.

Last edited:

Hello to all, yesterday evening first exit of X32 for me, an excellent success, a total satisfaction both in term of sound and the ergonomics, I post you here 2 files USB MAIN L/R and one the other outcome of Reaper via the audio USB interface the last one is neutral, no effect just faders level :

Covercast in Reaper by Dinnisisis on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Covercast USB X32 by Dinnisisis on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Just wanted to share:
Got the X32 as soon as it came out but didnt have a chance to play with it as I was overseas playing with some vi4s :razz:. However I have been gigging with it pretty heavily over the past few weeks and I can honestly say that I am thrilled. Sound quality is excellent and the board offers great features for the price! Just a quick shout out to Joe Sanborn; Joe took care of my noise issue on 16/32 right away a real pleasure to deal with! Ive done a few gigs with a second X32 on monitors and it performed extremely well.
However a few things to note that hopefully can be addressed in future updates.
1) no eq on effects returns - not the biggest deal, but would be really nice.
2) the linking of the busses, meaning i cant make bus 1 post fader and bus 2 pre fader...Thats a bit of a pain and sometimes quite difficult to work around. (ex. If I run bus1-2 as stereo sub group and then bus 3 as a mono subgroup. im left with an empty bus (4) that i cant use as an aux send.
3) please make an option to turn off the "changing this setting will remove all sends to this bus".
4) currently there is no way to recall an eq preset to only the A or B slot of the dual mono eq.
Please please finish the iPad app!!

Here are some pics and a clip of a Hebrew/Jewish wedding I did in Brooklyn this past Thursday. Enjoy!

X32>driverack 260>DB T4 over S10
macbook running wine with xcontrol via wifi

The clip below is straight from the USB drive, cut up in logic.

MP3 Reel by ShyCly on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Attachments

• 20121016_180728.jpg
    20121016_180728.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20121016_192542.jpg
    20121016_192542.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Line array.jpg
    Line array.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Wireless.jpg
    Wireless.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 0

I was at Guitar Center yesterday playing with the x32, and I love it!. I ran into a couple of issues, some of which have already been hashed out. But I thought I would list them below. I am getting mine next week and am really excited!

1. The biggest problem I ran into was with linked channels. I would control linked channels with the left fader, no problem, but then I would stop and grab the right fader and it would not want to move. I understand that it is acting as slaved to the other fader that just moved, but it should release sooner in my opinion. I can see this being a problem with affecting the faders lifespan. Of course you could just make sure to keep using whatever one you used last but that might not always be natural.

2. You cannot route inputs to whatever channel you want, only to blocks of 8. So for example If I have a mic inputed on Ch 5, it can only be patched to Ch's 13, 21, and 29. It's nice to have the option to patch but it kind of is useless if I can't change which input is where for individual scenes. I hope this can one day be fixed with a firmware update.

That's all for now and I can't wait to get it, you guys have been great on this forum encouraging me that this is the right board for my needs.

They should be there if you route correctly to the card, in other words, you need to route Aux1-6/Mon to the card. Looking at channel 13&14, what you see is the preamp inputs, and they don't have a signal. Routing aux/mon to card 9-16, 17-24 or 25-32 should give you a recording signal on 13-14, 21-22 or 29-30. You need to route to the card in blocks, so use the first block that don't have any live channels on it.

Thanks for the help,

I have already routed the Aux 1-6/Mon on the Routing/card out tab for expansion card output 9-16... The bottom choice on the list.

any other idea as to what I may have missed?

Craig.

OK Per, I found out and this worked:-

I actually realised that I needed to have the AUX 5&6 channels on layer 3 having the source as AUX 5&6 but not routed to the main outs.

So in-fact I'm using channel 13&14 for playback only of AUX 5&6.

What happens if I need 30 XLR channels recording and only 1 pair of AUX's?
I would imagine it's not possible because you have to have 1 block on the card out set for AUX 1-6/Mon, is this correct?

I see that using the AUX's as inputs has a limitation for recording and it is best to get either a DI box of a suitable cable (iPod to pair of XLR's).

Craig.

Last edited:

I was at Guitar Center yesterday playing with the x32, and I love it!. I ran into a couple of issues, some of which have already been hashed out. But I thought I would list them below. I am getting mine next week and am really excited!

1. The biggest problem I ran into was with linked channels. I would control linked channels with the left fader, no problem, but then I would stop and grab the right fader and it would not want to move. I understand that it is acting as slaved to the other fader that just moved, but it should release sooner in my opinion. I can see this being a problem with affecting the faders lifespan. Of course you could just make sure to keep using whatever one you used last but that might not always be natural.

2. You cannot route inputs to whatever channel you want, only to blocks of 8. So for example If I have a mic inputed on Ch 5, it can only be patched to Ch's 13, 21, and 29. It's nice to have the option to patch but it kind of is useless if I can't change which input is where for individual scenes. I hope this can one day be fixed with a firmware update.

That's all for now and I can't wait to get it, you guys have been great on this forum encouraging me that this is the right board for my needs.

1) how long did it take for the right fader to be released again? never had this kind of a problem, but i probably never grabbed the right fader just after moving the left one.

2) you can route every input you selected in "routing/home" on every channel. so if i choose local 1-8 i can use input 1-8 on channel 1-32 and aux in 1-8.

cheers,
flo

Bad Times!

Million Dollar question............ did the console continue to produce audio in the state that it was in when it crashed? So at least you would be able to finish the song and then do the reboot.
I'd really like to know about this, I'm close to getting an X32 for one of my venues, and reliability is my main concern. I can work around all the issues I raised in the Corporate thread.

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Am I the only one, who miss the dual dynamics from the channel strip? I mean not Gate + comp, but comp + comp in order to be able to use a copressor and a deesser... (deesser like a compressor with a side-chain EQ), anyhow the new Yamaha CL series has a real Deesser in the dynamics section, which would be really nice on the X32 as well....
Also in the FX rack a multiband Dyn EQ would be just great....

Best Regards,

Tamas

Crashing and UPS, somewhat frustrating to find that the manufacturers of UPS are very sparse with their information these days. I'm was used to seeing information about type of conversion and switch-over time where appliccable in the datasheets of every UPS I looked at the last time I looked for one, but these days it seems that such information isn't deemed essential (my old Merlingerin ups with a specified switchover of less than two cycles i.e. <40 ms crashes the X32).
However, I found that my new UPS of choice, the Eaton 3s is indeed an offline model with unspecified switch-over time. I think I'm going to get it anyway and see if I can provoke the X32 into crashing, or even better, measure the time and quality of transition. If anybody have other suggestions for a low price compact UPS that they have tried (or not), please chime in.

Question for Joe Sanborn: Would it be possible to provide for an aftermarket upgrade of the rail caps to provide for somewhat longer brownout and switchover tolerance?

Last edited:

Hello again everybody!

I wanted to first mention something about my last post. I had written a lot more text which ended up being lost because of a glitch in my
browser. It happened right after I started mentioning a few issues I had with the board. The majority of the text was not about minor issues but
things I loved about the board and how I was using it. I originally had only mentioned the headphone amp, and the chan 16 + 32 digital noise,
which I ended up retyping back in. ANYHOO

So Joe Sanborn immediately contacted me, as I expected (nice to say), and told me he would get me in contact with one of the other Behringer
guys in my area. I actually already know John really really well and wasn't sure why I hadn't contacted him about it already. Joe said the noise
from chan 16 and 32 is an easy fix. One thing I had mentioned in the text that got deleted, was that I probably would not have noticed the noise
if I didn't read about it here. It is very very low level. I have to crank the gains to +60db to get a loud noise out of it. If the channel is at 0.db,
it's barely noticeable compared to other channels.

I wanted to share my latest Assign Setup, to get opinions on it and to help people who may be so new to digital desks, they may not
be sure about a good way to set it up. The beauty is it will be different for everyone. So experiment!!

For my "Zero Out" scene, which I use to start a new scene over with any band or production. It is setup to run four powered wedges on
MixBus 1-4.

Set A- Set .JPG

This is unchanged from the factory preset. It has my 4 FX slots, with tap tempo on the delay and chorus, with the encoders controlling the most used
variable to each of those effects. The color is purple because my FX returns are purple.

Set B-Set B.JPG

Here is my monitor set, besides the encoders. Buttons 5-9 activate the Sends on Fader for my four monitor busses. Buttons 9-12 activate FX slots 5-9,
which for me are my 31 band EQ's for each monitor. This way when I'm setting up a monitor mix, I solo the mix bus, then quickly hit both 5-9, 6-10, etc
to activate that busses SOF and EQ to pop up. The encoders manipulate the Gate Range, Attack, Hold, and Release. So when setting up a gate on a channel,
I can with both hands manipulate threshold with the main control, and tweak those other settings with my other hand. The color is light blue because my monitors
mix busses are light blue.

Set C-SetC.JPG

Set C is very similar to how they program Set B by default, which a few changes. The encoders are setup like I have the gate setup on Set B. I have
control over the compressors Ratio, Attack, Hold, and Release. Buttons 5-8 are all of my meters, Channel, Mix Bus, Aux FX, and In and Out. Button 9
is direct access to my Stereo LR EQ, Button 10 my Channel presets, Button 11 my FX presets, and Button 12 access to the USB home page.

One thing I would ask for in a firmware update is the ability to choose between EQ pages A or B with the assign buttons. That way I can
free up two FX slots and use only two dual mono EQ's for my monitors.

I will leave this post with a few pics of my X32 in action. Again, big thanks to Behringer for creating such an awesome product and thanks for the continued
customer support which is leaving us all giggly inside.

x32a.JPGx32b.JPG

Chris

I'm trying to play audio from a synth into Aux 5 + 6 Ins

The X32 passes that through to the PA

How do I route the Aux 5 + 6 audio to the X-UF card outputs to record on a PC?

Aux 1 - 4 are already assigned to the Card Out 1 - 4. That works fine. Sends audio to the PC and back to the X32.

Is there something I've missed with Aux 5 + 6?

I'm waiting for some extra xlr cables to arrive so I can just use Input 1 - 8 etc Meanwhile it would be helpful to send Aux 5 + 6 to the X-UF outs.

OK, so I found the Routing / Card Out tab

/ Expansion Card Output 9 - 16

Go down to the very last option which is:

Aux 1-6/Mon

Push the knob to select that option.

Now I can select the correct audio input inside Ableton Live which is 15/16

Then I can record the audio from my synth whcih is connected to the Aux 5 / 6 input on the X32.

Last edited:

One thing I would ask for in a firmware update is the ability to choose between EQ pages A or B with the assign buttons. That way I can
free up two FX slots and use only two dual mono EQ's for my monitors.

Hi Chris, don't quite get this. If you are running mono monitors on adjacent mix buses and insert the dual geq, you are using up only those two eqs.
What am I missing?