New Midas M32 Console

Re: New Midas M32 Console

At 48K processing, the desk should be able to reproduce frequencies up to 24Khz without any aliasing. Does anyone have an explanation of how it is even possible for anyone to hear the difference between 48Khz and 96Khz (all other things being equal)?

To prevent aliasing, the input signal needs to go through a low-pass filter before digitizing. Everything else being equal, there's a bit more wiggle room at 96k to raise the corner frequency and reduce the slope of the LPF to lessen the likelihood of the filter affecting amplitude or phase response in the audible range.

That's the theory as I understand it. No idea whether that difference would be audible.

Modern A/D convertors are typically oversampled or performing the initial analog to digital conversion at very high sample rates (and lower number of bits) where there is precious little audio energy present to alias against, so the analog input filtering is relatively gentle. Then the above passband energy gets digitally removed when the data gets decimated down to lower sample rates with increased bit resolution.

JR

[edit- the higher output sample rate is just decimated down (less). The decision regarding using higher output sample rates is a tradeoff between data bandwidth, storage, processing overhead, and lower on that list (IMO) audio fidelity. Many A/D convertors offer different output samples rates as a basic option. /edit]

Last edited:

As intriguing as this all is, I downloaded the software. Actually was really impressed with the website. Anyway the software doesn't appear to allow post fader inserts which is a deal breaker. Also I can't see where you would assign the insert sends and returns to the computer as a core audio or ASIO device. Maybe someone can address that. In any case unless they allow for post fader inserts that use the FW or USB connection, its a no go for me. Thats assuming it sounds at least neutral if not good.

Modern A/D convertors are typically oversampled or performing the initial analog to digital conversion at very high sample rates (and lower number of bits) where there is precious little audio energy present to alias against, so the analog input filtering is relatively gentle. Then the above passband energy gets digitally removed when the data gets decimated down to lower sample rates with increased bit resolution.

I did not know that--nice solution for audio frequencies for sure. My work with A/D has all been up in the RF domain and I sometimes forget how much less bandwidth there is in an audio signal. Thanks!

+1 on that. Just give me these three things: VGA or DVI port for external monitor and additional USB ports for mouse and keyboard, a-la-MIDAS Pro, and I'll make my own monitor bracket. Two screens or split screen would be even better.

As example, AVID S3L surface design sucks (even Presonus SL desks looks better), but the DVI port for a standard computer monitor of any size (30" if you wish) gives it a killer look overall! (I mean only the external all-black rubberized layout that sucks, not the functionality. S3L modular concept wins both hands!)
View attachment 9469

Actually, a mini-display port connector would do and be cheaper for them and use less rear panel real estate.

Sent from my iPad HD

As intriguing as this all is, I downloaded the software. Actually was really impressed with the website. Anyway the software doesn't appear to allow post fader inserts which is a deal breaker. Also I can't see where you would assign the insert sends and returns to the computer as a core audio or ASIO device. Maybe someone can address that. In any case unless they allow for post fader inserts that use the FW or USB connection, its a no go for me. Thats assuming it sounds at least neutral if not good.

I am not sure I understand what you are attempting to do; however, I think you can use a bus, configure its tap to be post fader, then use the send on any channel to go to that bus. You can then use routing to send that bus to any physical output you like into any external efx you wish. You can return the efx into any input or aux in and you have essentially created an insert.

Do you have a particular use case in mind? I am not understanding exactly what you are trying to do. Old age is catching up on me evidently ;)

I am not sure I understand what you are attempting to do; however, I think you can use a bus, configure its tap to be post fader, then use the send on any channel to go to that bus. You can then use routing to send that bus to any physical output you like into any external efx you wish. You can return the efx into any input or aux in and you have essentially created an insert.

Do you have a particular use case in mind? I am not understanding exactly what you are trying to do. Old age is catching up on me evidently ;)

My guess is Dugan Automixer. Harry does a lot of corporate talking head gigs with panel discussions.

Scott,

I work corporate AV full-time, and for my job, flexibility is key. Personally, I want as many pick-off points as possible per channel as well as per output type (main, mix/aux, matrix, etc.). Having the ability to go "under the hood" digitally, rather than needing to change jumpers from show to show, is a fantastic benefit of most digital consoles nowadays. I think that this sets apart the more-accepted medium- and large-format consoles from other possible contenders. Input and Output DCAs are great, too.

Scott,

I work corporate AV full-time, and for my job, flexibility is key. Personally, I want as many pick-off points as possible per channel as well as per output type (main, mix/aux, matrix, etc.). Having the ability to go "under the hood" digitally, rather than needing to change jumpers from show to show, is a fantastic benefit of most digital consoles nowadays. I think that this sets apart the more-accepted medium- and large-format consoles from other possible contenders. Input and Output DCAs are great, too.
Jordan,

Thanks for the reply.

I believe you can get a post fader send from the outputs (either xlr or aux outs); however, with the version 1.15 firmware, I don't think there is any way to do it simply by adjusting your tap point for the inserts (you would have to use up buses to accomplish it as it stands). It may be that the V2 firmware will make it possible, but I haven't downloaded it and tested it yet so I can't be sure.

My old MixWiz 2 had the direct outs setup as post fader which actually really caused issues with me since I wanted to record with them. I had to get the schematics and go in and re-configure it myself with a soldering iron. I remember wondering what A&H were thinking when they did this (the changed it to pre-fader direct outs in version 3) as I couldn't think of any application where this would be useful. You have given me at least one application where this is needed ;)

We don't want post fader XLR outputs. We want post fader ASIO/ Core audio outputs to our computers. If I have 3 presenters on stage wiht a moderator and the host and the keynote speaker are in the house watching, and one of them coughs, a pre fader insert means that cough will knock down the level of the guys on stage.

Keep in mind post fader direct out is not the answer here. Has to be an insert. We want to leave the channel and return after the fader and before the mix bus, and post fade sends.

If we could tap off pre and post at the same time, that would be cool.

Jordan,

Thanks for the reply.

I believe you can get a post fader send from the outputs (either xlr or aux outs); however, with the version 1.15 firmware, I don't think there is any way to do it simply by adjusting your tap point for the inserts (you would have to use up buses to accomplish it as it stands). It may be that the V2 firmware will make it possible, but I haven't downloaded it and tested it yet so I can't be sure.

My old MixWiz 2 had the direct outs setup as post fader which actually really caused issues with me since I wanted to record with them. I had to get the schematics and go in and re-configure it myself with a soldering iron. I remember wondering what A&H were thinking when they did this (the changed it to pre-fader direct outs in version 3) as I couldn't think of any application where this would be useful. You have given me at least one application where this is needed ;)

Last edited:

We don't want post fader XLR outputs.
Not for the purpose of integrating automixing into a digital mixer setup, but I certainly use them for backstage and broadcast feeds.

We want post fader ASIO/ Core audio outputs to our computers.
Is this for recording purposes? Monitoring/distribution (4-wire Comms, etc.)? Just wonderin'. I haven't used any multi-channel I/O direct from digital consoles/option cards to computers just yet.

If I have 3 presenters on stage wiht a moderator and the host and the keynote speaker are in the house watching, and one of them coughs, a pre fader insert means that cough will knock down the level of the guys on stage.
Yeah, that's never fun to have happen. It's so nice to be able to mute the channel and have it get taken out of the mix bus for the AM.

Keep in mind post fader direct out is not the answer here. Has to be an insert. We want to leave the channel and return after the fader and before the mix bus, and post fade sends.
Yes, the Dugans are certainly suited for use with inserts as compared to DOs. SCM810s can be modded for use with inserts also, but it's a permanent change. At least with the way I use SCM810s (when not using a digital mixer setup), outputting to the AM's inputs via post-fader DOs achieves the same end goal: the ability to remove sources from the AM bus so that they don't affect the other sources unnecessarily.

If we could tap off pre and post at the same time, that would be cool.
Yeah, that would be - I guess it's possible if you have the channel count to double-patch, but I've never tried it - I don't see why it wouldn't work, though.

I hope I make sense; I'm running on less sleep than I'd prefer.

Not for recording purposes. For use with the Dugan. The Dugan is on my Mac. It works great. Now I'm trying to find a way to use more than the 8 channels my I/O has.

I'm curious how you use post fader outputs. I feed all of those things you mentioned via aux or matrices.

I don't want to burn up channels or inputs to have 2 inserts per channel. It's just software. You are literally just taking data from a point and sending it to the computer, then returning it to that point from the computer. The number of AD and DA remains the same. In fact it's odd to me that Yamaha has this limitation of 16 channels each way on the SLOTs. I think there should be a USB, FW, TB, or RJ45 connection on every digital desk that allows any input or output to be to or from the computer. I don't see what is so complex about it. Waves makes a MADI box that delivers 128 channels into the computer both ways. It's about the size of most large cell phones are today. Lists for about $2200. That means to me that dealer is about half that, and that means manufacturing is probably close to $500. cost and they are a software company so they have to be outsourcing. Why can't all of these manufacturers have this capability built in? You not only have the option of a so called virtual soundcheck, you also can use any number of plugins, and as you mentioned, routing into a com system, webcast, etc would be really easy. Recording and playback is the most obvious general use and that's what is going to drive the product. We just need to convince them to allow for a post fader pick off point.

In the studio 22 years ago we would prefer a post fader send to records and a post gain return when listening back or mixing down. Recording desks were usually made this way. Live desks usually want post gain so we can record the raw sound and fix it later.

Not for the purpose of integrating automixing into a digital mixer setup, but I certainly use them for backstage and broadcast feeds.

Is this for recording purposes? Monitoring/distribution (4-wire Comms, etc.)? Just wonderin'. I haven't used any multi-channel I/O direct from digital consoles/option cards to computers just yet.

Yeah, that's never fun to have happen. It's so nice to be able to mute the channel and have it get taken out of the mix bus for the AM.

Yes, the Dugans are certainly suited for use with inserts as compared to DOs. SCM810s can be modded for use with inserts also, but it's a permanent change. At least with the way I use SCM810s (when not using a digital mixer setup), outputting to the AM's inputs via post-fader DOs achieves the same end goal: the ability to remove sources from the AM bus so that they don't affect the other sources unnecessarily.

Yeah, that would be - I guess it's possible if you have the channel count to double-patch, but I've never tried it - I don't see why it wouldn't work, though.

I hope I make sense; I'm running on less sleep than I'd prefer.

Not for recording purposes. For use with the Dugan. The Dugan is on my Mac. It works great. Now I'm trying to find a way to use more than the 8 channels my I/O has.

I'm curious how you use post fader outputs. I feed all of those things you mentioned via aux or matrices.

I don't want to burn up channels or inputs to have 2 inserts per channel. It's just software. You are literally just taking data from a point and sending it to the computer, then returning it to that point from the computer. The number of AD and DA remains the same.
The limitation on the M32 is that you can only have 32 channels in and out of the interface. As long as the total amount of inserts is limited to 32, it should be doable.

In fact it's odd to me that Yamaha has this limitation of 16 channels each way on the SLOTs. I think there should be a USB, FW, TB, or RJ45 connection on every digital desk that allows any input or output to be to or from the computer. I don't see what is so complex about it. Waves makes a MADI box that delivers 128 channels into the computer both ways. It's about the size of most large cell phones are today. Lists for about $2200. That means to me that dealer is about half that, and that means manufacturing is probably close to $500. cost and they are a software company so they have to be outsourcing. Why can't all of these manufacturers have this capability built in?
You answer it yourself, to add $200 worth of hardware hikes the retail price by $1000 at least. Another aspect is that on a live desk, latency is everything, and stuff adds latency or costs money in terms of added hardware.

You not only have the option of a so called virtual soundcheck, you also can use any number of plugins, and as you mentioned, routing into a com system, webcast, etc would be really easy. Recording and playback is the most obvious general use and that's what is going to drive the product.
The M32 certainly have the capability of virtual soundcheck, and similar to an analog desk have a "hard" insert between the preamp and the channel processing, thus Preamp -- Computer -- Channel processing is available on all channels. We can rehash the discussions on how some people prefer to record post processing and how this also is possible with some amount of routing. What you can't have, is everything you want without using up resources. To be able to use up all the resources of the desk for what you want and still have all the resources available for something else, then you need to get the Rack or Core in addition to the full desk.

We just need to convince them to allow for a post fader pick off point.
We have been nagging Behringer for a year now, and many of us will keep nagging to have the interface card available as inserts, hopefully with some more flexibility in terms of insert point.
Multiple insert points raise a latency issue that I believe Behringer has tried to avoid since the low latency of the mixer is a big plus at the moment.

In the studio 22 years ago we would prefer a post fader send to records and a post gain return when listening back or mixing down. Recording desks were usually made this way. Live desks usually want post gain so we can record the raw sound and fix it later.
Really? Not post big fader? That's a "disaster about to happen" patching. Even having the "B"-fader controlling recording level is nerve-wrecking.
"That was great, Paul, you really nailed it this time.....................uh oh" :blush:

Really? Not post big fader? That's a "disaster about to happen" patching. Even having the "B"-fader controlling recording level is nerve-wrecking.
"That was great, Paul, you really nailed it this time.....................uh oh" :blush:

Actually the recorder was fed via BUS outputs so it had to go through 2 faders before it got there. You then had to turn up a 3rd fader to hear what was being recorded. Inline recording desks are totally foreign to live consoles.
Preamp through inserts (Compress to tape (better s/n), Gate on return (so you don't accidentally cut off something you needed)), EQ, HPF etc, then to the channel fader and PAN, then to the buss assign switches, to the particular mix buss (what we call a group in livesound) then to the recorder.. There were as many busses as there were channels. Even on split style consoles, not my preference, there were the same number of busses and return channels as there were tracks. There might be more input channels than tracks on a split console, but on an inline you had the same number of everything.
The input channel, the group or buss, and the return channel would all be on the same strip. The playback could be routed through the same equalizer or bypass it entirely. No need to have 2 EQs on a strip, just flick a switch to use the EQ during mixdown. The Aux sends would be on the return and used for feeding studio mixes for performers as well as for effects sends. The deck could be set to monitor INPUTS (direct monitoring) or outputs, which monitored the playback head so there would be the tiniest of delay between the information going to tape and moving from the record head to the playback head and coming back. That is the best way to record. If you don't hear it, it's NOT being recorded. No problem with Paul. Also if the tape itself has a flaw you may just pick that up early on. Best to run the tape heads to tails and back to get any loose debris to drop off before recording. Always store tails out to mitigate the issues from print through. I think Led Zeppelin learned their lesson on that. (way down inside, woman you need, love)..... OK I gotta get back to work. http://vintagewindings.com/images/Board 1.jpg

Hopeful or more likely date? The unofficial best date I heard from our rep is June. The initial date I believe was early April.

Typed on a virtual keyboard.