New Midas M32 Console

Re: New Midas M32 Console

29 pages of great commentary by a good gang of guys here...
Why do I think its ODD that no Case manufacturer has released a price for the M-32 case yet? (thinking Sam has a pair of white gloves in his back pocket at all times now)
I also think if they are beginning to ship why someone like Thomann here in Europe are not listing them yet ( they do list other Midas consoles)!

Could be that the initial price not agreed with distributers - recall with x32 some took pre-orders at a lower price than they were eventually released at.

I also think if they are beginning to ship why someone like Thomann here in Europe are not listing them yet ( they do list other Midas consoles)!

Could be that the initial price not agreed with distributers - recall with x32 some took pre-orders at a lower price than they were eventually released at.

to my knowledge its been distributed around the Midas Dealers to my knowledge Thomann arn't a recognised dealer ( I may be wrong) even though they do stock them.

How can a mass market, on-line retailer sell a product they don't have an authorization for? They can't if they expect their customers to be happy. If your allegation is correct, Thomann will be defrauding customers who would be without factory warranty support (not the retailer's statutory obligation to refund/replace for 6 months in the UK). There would be pitchforks and torches. Stop posting rubbish.

BTW, Thomann is an authorized dealer for several other Music Group lines including Behringer and is selling other Midas consoles.

How can a mass market, on-line retailer sell a product they don't have an authorization for? They can't if they expect their customers to be happy. If your allegation is correct, Thomann will be defrauding customers who would be without factory warranty support (not the retailer's statutory obligation to refund/replace for 6 months in the UK). There would be pitchforks and torches. Stop posting rubbish.

BTW, Thomann is an authorized dealer for several other Music Group lines including Behringer and is selling other Midas consoles.

There is a massive difference between a distributor and an authorised reseller. What I meant by my comment was that they seem to be just selling through the distributors not online resellers.

Last edited:

There is a massive difference between a distributor and an authorised reseller. What I meant by my comment was that they seem to be just selling through the distributors not online resellers.

well of course MG will only sell to their distributors - but I would expect the distributors would then supply the resellers. The Uk may be slightly different as there aren't many resellers of Midas (if any). But thomman are a Major reseller and with the buzz around the M32 you would expect them to want to add this to their product listings. Mind you they do not seem to sell the MI range of Turbosound - while in the Uk studiospares and DV are now selling these & this will allow the penetration of the new IQ series when they are released.
But for the entry level Midas the reseller outlets do not seem to be in place.

Anybody from MG able to supply a CAD-file of the exteriors of an M32?

I am going to get one flush mounted in a control room desk (when it arrives...), but to do it as correctly as possibly, it would be nice with an EXACT CAD-file.
The dimensions are listed in some illustrations at the bottom of the Midas M32 web page, but it would be even better with a CAD to get all angles and other stuff right.

Regards
ARNE

chase mentioned 4 - 6 weeks

Why don’t you just buy the real thing http://www.midasconsoles.com/Products/DL153.aspx

That way when Behringer does whatever to make the M32 operate at 96kHz you will be ready. I assume you will not have to buy or upgrade a significant amount of hardware :?~:-?~:???:

Given that Midas has this product, and it just been released, I don’t understand why they are going to release the DL32, especially since it’s got all the same good stuff as a real Midas :?~:-?~:???:

What are you talking about the m32 is 48k and the box you are talking about isnt 48k

The literature for Behringer’s M32 says it will work with the DL150 series i.e. it will do 48K – the literature for the DL150 series say we are going to make it 48K latter :roll:.

The literature for the M32 say we are going to make it 96K latter … Then they go and paint the X32 stage box and put Midas so they can sell it to M32 customers.

If they both have the same preamps and use AES 50…. why ... why would you do that ? Seems obvious to me!

I know you want to think you have bought a Midas, but you have just bought a Behringer dressed up to look like a Midas. Luckly for you the X32 is a good little desk.

How did this get back to where it is? The M-32 as is will be 48K. The web article talks about one day it will be 96k.. The DL-16 stage box is 48k.
The only IO that i know of in the big boy stuff is the DL-251 that can be set to 48K. Why you would try to put a 48x16x8 on a 32 input desk is beyond me...
And don't forget that 96k is 24 x 24 bi-directional. your not getting 32 inputs on one Cat-5 cable using 96K. AES-50
Unless you install a network bridge, KT 9650 you cant talk to 96k from a 48k desk...
SAM, did yours come in YET ?

While the A/D chips they are using can easily be raised to 192Khz, this would place double the processing throughout the entire console.

The current DSP is a ADSP-21371. Rumor has it that Analog Devices are working on a pin compatible 214XX device which could be a drop in replacement. The 214XX (4th gen SHARC) has built in FFT and other integrated computing units which will more than double the capability of the processor. This could be their plan.

The other possibility is that they have included more processors in the M32, but are under-utilizing them at 48Khz. I believe the X32 only has 2 of these DSP chips. If they have included 4 in the M32, then it wouldn't be much of a stretch to increase the processing up to 96Khz.

Hopefully, the latter is their plan since the former would require a trip to the shop for an upgrade ;)

How did this get back to where it is? The M-32 as is will be 48K. The web article talks about one day it will be 96k.. The DL-16 stage box is 48k.
The only IO that i know of in the big boy stuff is the DL-251 that can be set to 48K. Why you would try to put a 48x16x8 on a 32 input desk is beyond me...
And don't forget that 96k is 24 x 24 bi-directional. your not getting 32 inputs on one Cat-5 cable using 96K. AES-50
Unless you install a network bridge, KT 9650 you cant talk to 96k from a 48k desk...
SAM, did yours come in YET ?

Mike ships from china today to Belgium...

While the A/D chips they are using can easily be raised to 192Khz, this would place double the processing throughout the entire console.

The current DSP is a ADSP-21371. Rumor has it that Analog Devices are working on a pin compatible 214XX device which could be a drop in replacement. The 214XX (4th gen SHARC) has built in FFT and other integrated computing units which will more than double the capability of the processor. This could be their plan.

You would hope that they aren't going to do this because it would take them forever to deal with the backlog, its taking them forever to deal with the backlog of orders in the first place.