X16 Preview

Re: X16 Preview

I borrowed a DL1608 twice for two simple gigs. The sound company I was working for on these shows now sees the advantage of this type of set up. But the DL1608 doesn’t have sub groups and I really want that. So I am telling him that if he can wait and the X16 is basically half of an X32 and if it is in the same price range that the X16 might be a better choice. This is also assuming that the XiControl for the iPad is fully functional by that time. I was playing with the app off line and it looks like I can’t control things like the channel EQ and dynamics. Is this only in the offline mode or is it not enabled yet in the online mode also. Or am I just missing how to do it?

Does anyone know when the X16 (however it comes out looking like) will be shipped?

Will I be able to interface a Behringer BCF2000 to it if I want to?

Answers at Winter NAMM... trust me.

Mackie shut down their user forums on 1/4/13 :mad: so I'm starting the rumor that Behringer bought them out - to be announced at NAMM :D . So Uri, is Behringer going to continue to upgrade the DL1608 firmware or offer a trade-in program on the X16 8)~:cool:~:cool: ?

Just visited BEHRINGER: Home today. There is NAMM teaser pic. Seems that we are getting a 1 and and 3 U rack version of the X32! :)
I'm in!

Is that a C32 controller surface behind the RX32? My guess is that the 3U might have inputs and that the 1U if it is indeed a X32 processor box will be a processor only box that needs a couple of S16 to make a full system. I'm keeping an open space in my stagerack :D~:-D~:grin:

@Per: I'm an idiot...you are right. Behind the 3U rack there seems to be a X16 (whatever you call it) with 8 faders less than the X32. On the left of it, there seems to be another version. To sum it up, there seems to be at least four (!) different new X-devices. Great! I'm with you, probably there will be units with and without onboard inputs, what makes perfectly sense, if you already own one or two S-16.

@Per: I'm an idiot...you are right. Behind the 3U rack there seems to be a X16 (whatever you call it) with 8 faders less than the X32. On the left of it, there seems to be another version. To sum it up, there seems to be at least four (!) different new X-devices. Great! I'm with you, probably there will be units with and without onboard inputs, what makes perfectly sense, if you already own one or two S-16.

Didn't really notice the difference in the surfaces, but you might be right, that definitely looks like a "proper" X16 and another surface of some sort.

It all comes clear now..
Uli releases a teaser that looks a lot like Mackie's offering to make their customers wait and see. then comes out with what we all wanted and hopefully will sway those customers to the more useful format

OR he's coming out with both types (28 new products could cover a lot of new digital offerings)

Or he's going to show some fancy boxes of nothing that won't actually get produced for another year (the website teaser looks like a lot of photoshop work)

we'll see!
Jason

Or he's going to show some fancy boxes of nothing that won't actually get produced for another year (the website teaser looks like a lot of photoshop work)
we'll see!
Jason

Hopefully it won't take a year to release these products, since most of the "work" has gone into the X32, now it's just putting it in a smaller box, with less moving parts.... here's hoping....

BTW - does anyone think that the console fader surface in the back on the left, might be a "fader wing" to expand an X16?

pictures below ron...

Attachments

• behringer_2013.JPG
    behringer_2013.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hopefully it won't take a year to release these products, since most of the "work" has gone into the X32, now it's just putting it in a smaller box, with less moving parts.... here's hoping....

BTW - does anyone think that the console fader surface in the back on the left, might be a "fader wing" to expand an X16?

pictures below ron...

or maybe a fader only version to go with the 3U module that already has the screen and master controls on it?

Jason

Re: X16 Preview (x48)

I believe it may be a mistake to claim that an iPad is an expense to be factored in to the purchase price of the X16. A generation is coming where an iPad is just another accessory that is almost universally expected.

I believe we're at the point currently with smart phones and tablets that we were with cell phones ten years ago. They've moved beyond curiosities that only those with significant disposable income have to another fixture of every day life. We're rapidly approaching a time when not having a tablet (and right now the iPad is the most popular) or a smart phone will get you the same looks as saying you don't own any shoes.

The Point: Many of the people who will be using this mixer view an iPad as a necessity of life. I can certainly imagine a provider renting the bare X16 and stipulating the user provide their own iPad without a peep of protest.

The Point: Many of the people who will be using this mixer view an iPad as a necessity of life. I can certainly imagine a provider renting the bare X16 and stipulating the user provide their own iPad without a peep of protest.

An iPad as a company-owned remote control can often make sense; a privately-owned 'toy' - not as much. There's still many, like myself, that don't have use for a tablet until it can take over my laptop and/or cell phone.

I believe it may be a mistake to claim that an iPad is an expense to be factored in to the purchase price of the X16. A generation is coming where an iPad is just another accessory that is almost universally expected.

I believe we're at the point currently with smart phones and tablets that we were with cell phones ten years ago. They've moved beyond curiosities that only those with significant disposable income have to another fixture of every day life. We're rapidly approaching a time when not having a tablet (and right now the iPad is the most popular) or a smart phone will get you the same looks as saying you don't own any shoes.

I think you may be overlooking a basic aspect in that you are referencing personal items, so it may be a valid point for one's personal mixer but not necessarily for one that belongs to an employer, a venue, a production company, etc. Using your analogy, if an employer wants to be insure their employees have smartphones or iPads then they generally purchase or pay for them and incur that cost. The same concept would likely apply to an iPad for a mixer that belongs to an entity other than an individual.

Two other factors that some don't seem to consider is that a) there are other tablet type devices besides the iPad and some people may prefer/use/own those and b) many people function just fine without any 'Pad' type device.

I think you may be overlooking a basic aspect in that you are referencing personal items, so it may be a valid point for one's personal mixer but not necessarily for one that belongs to an employer, a venue, a production company, etc.

The (i)X16 isn't a product for the rental market and everyone seems to recognize that, so why are some obviously acknowledging this basic premise while at the same time discussing problematic details involved in renting it out.

View attachment 4968
View attachment 4969

We like to share with you a preview of our new X16, which is based on the X32 digital mixer.

The iPad/PC based digital mixer includes 16 Midas-designed preamps, Ethernet connection for a wireless router, Ultranet for our P16 Personal Monitor system and also a bi-directional 16-channel USB recording interface. Like the X32, it will be remote controllable via iPad and PC (iXControl, XControl).

The unit is also rack and floor mountable for fixed installations.

Aside from the reduced channel count (16 inputs, 8 outputs) it has the same DSP engine and functionailty of the X32.

Delivery is targeted for Q2 2013 and the estimated price will be around US$ 1000.

Comments are appreciated.

Uli

Rather mix on a Mackie 1604vlz, but that pictured product you have would make a better wheel chock then what your other products do under a tire.

I see (almost) the same as you guys, A 3RU non-fader version, a 16chan version, and what looks like either a pure controller, or an extension unit to expand a 16chan to a 32chan.