X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

Hello all. New member here. New subject: Connectivity X-32 / PC directly via RJ45. IP address, check. Latest firmware / X-Control, check. No dice. What's up? Go!
-MJ

You say IP adress check, but have you ticked all the boxes of the IP-address checklist? Is everything on the same subnet and the subnet mask set correctly?
What's the IP of your computer? What console IP is the Xcontrol set to? What IP is the console when you look at the console? Can you see the console on the network in Windows explorer?

Nobody has yet given any logical reason why processing has to be done from stage, apart from statements saying it must, and detailing what can go wrong.

Not convinced yet. Has anyone else had to pull an amp rack centre stage to actually hear what the crossover tweaking actually sounds like?

I don't care if the crossover is on mars (although nowadays I prefer it inside the amplifier), I just care that the X32 is not a crossover. I do all my speaker preset building where I can make changes quickly, but that is rarely at a show. The kinds of processing adjustments I need to make at a show necessitate a system that allows me to walk around anyway.

I don't care if the crossover is on mars (although nowadays I prefer it inside the amplifier), I just care that the X32 is not a crossover. I do all my speaker preset building where I can make changes quickly, but that is rarely at a show. The kinds of processing adjustments I need to make at a show necessitate a system that allows me to walk around anyway.

Prefer it inside an amplifier that can be locked out at the front panel, keep them darn travelling BEs at bay :p

Hi Gang.

Just wanted to report that I set up our console to work with Sonar X1 at our studio this weekend. Everything is working flawlessly. Used Firewire for the interface and ASIO driver mode with no problems at all. I'm sending all 32 console channels to Sonar, and sending Sonar's main L & R as well as a separate metronome output back to the console which in turn are routed to 3 aux input channels. I have these returns controlled by a couple of DCAs for easy access. I'm using 12 of the output buses linked as 6 stereo headphone mixes. Xcontrol also worked great. Great job, Behringer!

-Jim

My setup works flawlessly with Sonar X2 As well, but I still can't get the x32 to control Sonar via the Mackie control in sonar. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Problems with XControl

What a mess this thread has become! All the topics are mixed up. It should have been a separate forum of its own.

Anyhoo, I have been playing with XControl in anticipation of getting the real thing for one of my venues. It seems to me that there is no read-only default "initial settings" scene. I found this out the hard way, by overwriting the scene that XControl was in when first installed. There's no way to get it back, that I can find. I have even re-installed the program, and it still has my own scenes in it. That seems impossible but true. Can anyone help me to get back the initial scene in XControl?

Hopefully there is an initial settings scene in the real X32.

Regarding the "crossover in the mixer" discussion, it seems a ridiculous idea to me these days, and the few people who would want it definitely does not justify using up DSP in the console which could be used for plenty of other missing features. I suppose it could be implemented as an effect, with a stereo in and six outputs.

Here's a bit of history for you. I used to work for Midas, many years ago, and the crossovers were in the console! The crossover points were fixed however, (optimised for the Martin PA system) and could only be altered by changing internal components. Once the BSS (Brooke-Siren) crossovers appeared (both Chas Brooke and Stan Gould of Siren Systems worked for Midas) we no longer included crossover modules in the consoles.

Mick Berg.

Last edited:
Re: Problems with XControl

I'm only a new member, but I think I have the flavour now - 30 years experience in PA is a must, and following the 30 year way of working is absolutely essential. However, I thought we were talking about a desk intended for a very different market? Like my 1400 seater venue with a 3 hour window before show time from the first walk through the door. We have a huge variety of styles that with our PA do mean we use a few presets in the crossovers to make the bands sound their best. At the moment, most shows need a max of four foldback sends, and a left and right. With the advent of 16 outs (when the S16s are available) I just thought, bearing in mind the virtually empty foh racks, that maybe doing this in the desk would be a sensible future possibility, or even a current one with some tweaking. The thing I've realised is that the biggest snag is the lack of the ability to set output filters and make them (semi)permanent. That for me is the critical advice, and the thing that puts me off trying - but I do think for future use, that with plenty of people could well be interested in having a one stop adjustment centre - as in the X-32.

The notion that I should invest in crossovers that have remote control is a pretty pricy solution - bearing in mind the X-32 price point, so forgive me, but it's a daft notion for me. I'd not even figured that the big-boys with this kind of infrastructure and kit would be swapping their out front mixer to an X-32?

My own 30 year experience is obviously inadequate in some way. Thanks for the information - both good and bad, it has helped me see the current state of play.

Hello all. New member here. New subject: Connectivity X-32 / PC directly via RJ45. IP address, check. Latest firmware / X-Control, check. No dice. What's up? Go!
-MJ

Configure it as follows:

On PC

Configure the network interface that you are connecting to the X32 to use a STATIC IP address (NOT automatically get an address via DHCP) as follows:

Address: 10.0.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1 (not strictly needed)

Configure the X32 network interface as follows:

IP address: 10.0.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1 (not strictly needed, and yes, that IS the address of the PC)

Should work fine (it does here) and will enable your laptop wi-fi connection to be used at the same time (since that almost certainly uses a 192.168.x.x address)

What a mess this thread has become! All the topics are mixed up. It should have been a separate forum of its own.
If it gets too bad, X32 User Net http://www.x32user.net/phpbb2/index.php is ready to take the X32-specific overflow, but I for my part think it is good to have this thread with lots of info on a big mainstream forum. And there is of course the Behringer forum, allthough waiting for an updatet forum over there.

Anyhoo, I have been playing with XControl in anticipation of getting the real thing for one of my venues. It seems to me that there is no read-only default "initial settings" scene. I found this out the hard way, by overwriting the scene that XControl was in when first installed. There's no way to get it back, that I can find. I have even re-installed the program, and it still has my own scenes in it. That seems impossible but true. Can anyone help me to get back the initial scene in XControl?

Hopefully there is an initial settings scene in the real X32.
Setup menu/Config tab bottom left corner (now kick yourself ;)~;-)~:wink: )

After initializing, save scene to file and there you have it

http://www.x32user.net/phpbb2/download/file.php?id=10

Just import the scene in the same menu.

Regarding the "crossover in the mixer" discussion, it seems a ridiculous idea to me these days, and the few people who would want it definitely does not justify using up DSP in the console which could be used for plenty of other missing features. I suppose it could be implemented as an effect, with a stereo in and six outputs.

Here's a bit of history for you. I used to work for Midas, many years ago, and the crossovers were in the console! The crossover points were fixed however, (optimised for the Martin PA system) and could only be altered by changing internal components. Once the BSS (Brooke-Siren) crossovers appeared (both Chas Brooke and Stan Gould of Siren Systems worked for Midas) we no longer included crossover modules in the consoles.

Mick Berg.

If implementing crossover was using up DSP I could understand the resistance to having this as an option. Obviously every little thing that is added will use up some firmware memory, and there is a limit to the features that can be added, but no matter how dsp-intensive a feature is, as long as that feature is not enabled, it won't use up any dsp resources.
Basically, to do crossover, we are talking about a slight upgrade to the high- and lowcut filters, ie selectable slopes, and a way to lock down certain areas and throw away the key (or keep it in the pocket of the person responsible and knowledgable). This extra safe feature is not exclusive to crossover implementation, but something a few users have asked for to do other things like church installs etc.
And we are not in a segment of the market where we are talking about replacing Meyer or Lake processors or disabling the dsp of a d&b D12, but crossing over between subs and tops that are most likely to be powered with internal dsp that take care of protection and internal processing. I understand how eons of experience (no pun intended) can make this whole concept seem like a bad idea, but I believe that many of the naysayers are looking at this as a much more complex task than it really is, simply because most experienced operators are used to more complex systems. Most users of powered top on stick on powered sub will be using the crossover in the sub, some will go to the probably totally unnecessary step of adding a low end processor like a dbx drpx or drpa+ to this set up, and some might like to cross over in the mixer to have some control over alignment and exact crossover frequency and be able to control the balance between subs and tops.
Some might want to try aux send subs without having to invest in new hardware etc.
Some adventurous souls might want to take it further and do things that might backfire on them, but that is another story.

Last edited:

If you are considering the X32 as your console you should also consider DCX 2496's as your crossover. The price point is completely consistent. Personally, and as an owner of an X32, the last place I want speaker system processing is in the console. Simple 4 pole hi/low filters might be useful for powered speaker setups bit a more feature laden solution would not be something I would want. I make DSP adjustments from FOH as the system is new and I do use different speaker setups but I wouldn't want to be digging through console menus adjusting speaker processing while mixing the guitar solo.

Ok. IP address in the console, and in X-control MATCHED. (by this I mean: check!). If connecting directly to the console and PC with a single CAT5 cable, do we need to assign a subnet mask or gateway? I didn't think so, but, again, if I'm missing something, do tell. My PC recognizes an 'unidentified network'. That's about as much connectivity I can get...
Thanks Per!
-MJ

My setup works flawlessly with Sonar X2 As well, but I still can't get the x32 to control Sonar via the Mackie control in sonar. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Hi Guys,
I wanted to report back a few Cakewalk Sonar tests we have done.

We setup Sonar on a PC laptop:
IBM ThinkPad
Windows 7
RAM 4GB
XUF PC USB driver version 5.25
Sonar X2 Producer (64 bit version)
X32 connected to Sonar via USB

Successfully recorded via USB, 32 outputs from X32 into Sonar and played back/mixed 32 outputs from Sonar, on the X32
Tested on a simultaneous recorded 32 track session. No problems all audio was clean on recording and playback.

Sonar Control Surface Functions:
We can see MIDI parameters being sent from X32 on the PC using a MDI analyzer, but for some reason Sonar is not reacting to the HUI commands from the X32. We were able to select HUI in Sonar and on the X32. As stated earlier the X32 HUI works without issue on ProTools and Logic, so I do not think this is an X32 issue. We have a technical call in with Cakewalk to see if they can help find a solution.

Will report back after we speak to Cakewalk.

Hope it helps.

Best
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Ok. IP address in the console, and in X-control MATCHED. (by this I mean: check!). If connecting directly to the console and PC with a single CAT5 cable, do we need to assign a subnet mask or gateway? I didn't think so, but, again, if I'm missing something, do tell. My PC recognizes an 'unidentified network'. That's about as much connectivity I can get...
Thanks Per!
-MJ

Subnet mask: Yes, required, and all devices on the network must match of they won't be able to talk with each other.
Default Gateway: No (only used when communication to the "outside world" is being done through a router somewhere; which if setup, could be the PC)

-- Mitch

ETA: Does the X32's ethernet port have auto polarity detection? If not, it might be that an ethernet crossover cable is needed in order to plug the two in directly without the benefit of an ethernet switch. Have no hands-on experience with the X32 (yet; hoping to get one), but am speaking in general networking terms.

Subnet mask: Yes, required, and all devices on the network must match of they won't be able to talk with each other.
Default Gateway: No (only used when communication to the "outside world" is being done through a router somewhere; which if setup, could be the PC)

-- Mitch

ETA: Does the X32's ethernet port have auto polarity detection? If not, it might be that an ethernet crossover cable is needed in order to plug the two in directly without the benefit of an ethernet switch. Have no hands-on experience with the X32 (yet; hoping to get one), but am speaking in general networking terms.

Mine works fine with a straight through - though it could be the other port that is doing the auto-detection, of course.

Re: X32 - PC Direct RJ45 connection

Thanks Per!
-MJ

MATCHED? Check!? - what is that supposed to mean? What are they actually set to? The addresses must not match - they must be different but in the same subnet. As Mitch says, the subnet masks must be the same (unless you're trying to be clever, of course - it's perfectly possible to have two hosts with different subnet masks on the same LAN segment and still be able to communicate directly without a gateway (router). You just have to understand CIDR, ARP etc. :razz: )

See my earlier post for all the info you need to get this working: http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/4393-x32-discussion-127.html#post40280

Last edited:
What a mess this forum has become

Hello

This forum would be way less messy, if ALL writers would take two seconds to put CORRECT title to what they are answering....

As it is now - there is too often guesswork to do to figure out what exactly has been commented....

Nuuska. - not english by mother tongue .....:)~:)~:smile:

The rack limiter

Forgive my stupidness, but I'm unable to figure out how to operate the rack precision limiter properly.

There are no meters to guide me and I'm having trouble make it work due to setting parameters becomes mostly guesswork.

Am I missing something obvious here (other than use my ears)?

Setup menu/Config tab bottom left corner (now kick yourself ;)~;-)~:wink: )

After initializing, save scene to file and there you have it

http://www.x32user.net/phpbb2/download/file.php?id=10

Just import the scene in the same menu.

Thanks, but I'm only going to kick myself gently, it was quite obscure I think.

I wish there was a way to make scenes read-only, I want to make some starting-point scenes.

Mick Berg.