X32 Discussion

Re: Post fader metering

I have to wonder how much use a keyboard would really get, what would you use it for besides labeling the scribble strips? I know having it as a card would make it optional without forcing it on people who would never use it, but I have to wonder if you would really end up wanting your card slot used up just for a keyboard instead of having it available for much more powerful options with audio? That being said, your bluetooth suggestion is making me think that perhaps a greater number of people might find A2DP bluetooth more useful; perhaps a card which incorporates both A2DP/AVCRP (for "transport" control) and HID for keyboards might be useful. I know not everyone would use this as it is not the best playback option out there, but for set breaks and things I could see people wanting to use a bluetooth device for playback.

Re: X32 with Eve 6

Hi Joe, when your friend has his s16's how will he split the sognal for foh and monitors, will he be able to control gain at both or will he route first to foh then monitors from the foh x32?

Andy

ps still got the high pitched digital noise on my monitor outputs (no call from uk support yet)

Re: Post fader metering

Could Bluetooth for a Keyboard be possible as a card feature? Always thought that would have been nice in original design. I use an iPad myself, but it would be handy for some.

I'd rather just be able to plug a USB keyboard or wireless keyboard dongle into the USB recorder slot for occasional use when setting up the scribble strips.

Re: X32 Discussion

Here's something I'd LOVE for the iPad app -
The ability to control my DAW from the ipad - In other words, access to Record, Play, Stop, FF, Rew....... That would be oh so cool.
Thanks
Pauly

iPad app - Feature Request - DAW control

The ability to control my DAW from the ipad - In other words, access to Record, Play, Stop, FF, Rew....... That would be oh so cool.
Thanks
Pauly

Did a tryout last weekend with a band a know well. I did a full analog split because there weren't time enough for a full soundcheck.
I also brought my Imac I7 to test to record (22ch) both on Logic and 2trac on X32 USB.
My first sound impression was good although I felt I had to eq more dBs than I think a usually do on Yamaha digitals.
The 2trac sounds good but I hadn´t have time to play with the multichannel.
The only downside was the when I "took over" the PA-sound in the second set using Xcontrol (previous betaversion (7?)
the program crashed 2 two times so after master EQing I went back to my place backstage to continuing mixing.
Thanx for for the Deesser that worked but were a bit to subtile.

Thanks
Pauly

I use an app called: "V-Control Free" to control my ProTools via WiFi- works great and has nothing to do with the x32.
BTW- Thanks for adding the de-esser in 1.10, but-
Does anyone beside me missing a swap-able frequency control knob on the de-esser? Am I missing something?

Feature wishlist

Hello

At moment I have few things on my wishlist

XiControl should have same functionality in BUS 1-8 and BUS 9-16 as the console has - namely first select a BUS and then use channel faders to send stuff - would be very useful in monitor setup on stage. Now I obviously have to select first the channel and then send it to the monitor - thus amounting to far more buttons to be pushed.

Perhaps even include sideways continuous sweep between channels - same in channel fader mode - as in Presonus

On X32 - Assignable encoders LCD - it would be nice and informative to be able to select colour individually instead of all four.

On X32 - channel sends - now they are selectable in pairs to be pre or post or subgroup - individual selection would help a lot.

I am very happy with my X32 as is 8)~:cool:~:cool: - just asking, if it could be done without enormous hassle.:roll:

Coming weekend I have my first gig with S16 - really looking forward to that - also iPad goes with this time.

Re: S16 Gains

had my first gig with s16 on saturday and it felt like the s16 preamps were not as hot as the builtin in the x32. had to gain up such a lot. can ynbody confirm or give a hint what I am missing.

TIA,

Henry

edit: There's a thread on the (not well supported) Behringer forum: Another Gain value on X32 and S16

Gain is gain. The position of any "knobs" or "sliders" may differ, but the gain is the same. If you have to raise an "apparent" level to get the same gain, it is just that: apparent. The difference is more likely in the control than the device.

I use an app called: "V-Control Free" to control my ProTools via WiFi- works great and has nothing to do with the x32.
BTW- Thanks for adding the de-esser in 1.10, but-
Does anyone beside me missing a swap-able frequency control knob on the de-esser? Am I missing something?

Yes you are correct they seem to use a Low dessing WHY i really don't know but they should go over the de-essing plugin and make the LOW dessing into the Freq knob to ajust the freq on the desser and use the Hi dessing for the amount of dessing your need.. I also used it the other night and even when you turn the de-essing knob all the way it really dont de-ess much..

And that could be why it needs the Freq knob for it to work correctly..

Hope you guys here that and remake the de-esser like that and it will be all good. :)

Re: Feature wishlist

XiControl should have same functionality in BUS 1-8 and BUS 9-16 as the console has - namely first select a BUS and then use channel faders to send stuff - would be very useful in monitor setup on stage. Now I obviously have to select first the channel and then send it to the monitor - thus amounting to far more buttons to be pushed.

Don't have my iPad in front of me but I'm pretty sure you are wrong. Press "Sends on Faders", select the bus you want to adjust and then the channel faders will reflect signal going to that Bus.

Bus, or Buss?

Re: S16 Gains

Gain is gain. The position of any "knobs" or "sliders" may differ, but the gain is the same. If you have to raise an "apparent" level to get the same gain, it is just that: apparent. The difference is more likely in the control than the device.
I found this quite informative post on gearslutz (behringer really should have a faq for things like this!):
I spoke to our design team and have posted a very detailed description of what you are describing.

From our design team:
Some X32 users have detected and reported a slight clicking noise when adjusting the analog preamp gain under certain conditions. The issue is sometimes reported as “zipper noise” and is more noticeable with low frequency signals such as a bass. This article explains the phenomenon and describes how to avoid it.

The X32 uses a digitally controlled precision A/D-Gain stage at the front end of every mic preamp to condition the signal . Just as on a standard analog mixer, the purpose of this A/D-Gain is to attenuate strong or amplify weak signals and thereby provide an optimal match to the preamp. Proper gain staging at this point results in enhanced signal to noise performance and prevents saturation or overdrive of the preamp or subsequent A/D converter. The analog A/D-Gain provides 2 dB of attenuation and 45.5 dB of gain in 2.5 dB steps.

This is further augmented by a digital trim that interpolates and expands the range to -12…+60 dB in steps of 0.5 dB each, for a total of 72 dB across 145 steps. The two attenuators work together to render a smooth and quiet range of gain that has the added benefit of being fully recallable. This is what the Gain control does whenever an analog preamp (of X32 or S16) is patched to an input channel. Compare this to preamps like e.g. the Neve Portico 5015, which has a Gain control with discrete 6 dB steps and 60 dB Range, plus a continuous Trim of +/-6 dB.

In cases where the preamp signal is sent to an outboard soundcard and returned from the DAW the connection between the mic preamp and the attenuator is obviously broken. In such cases the combined Gain is replaced with a purely digital Trim of +/-12 dB, in steps of 0.5 dB. As there is no analog switching involved this will never cause any noise.

As of firmware 1.10 an additional Setup page for Preamps gives back access to the head amps when they are not routed to any of the X32 input channels. Obviously, there is no interpolation and expansion of the gain range and only the 2.5 dB analog steps are in effect. Adjustment of the A/D-Gain under such circumstances may render an audible click, especially at low frequencies.

All digital attenuation in the console has been designed to be completely free of zipper noise and digital gain changes are completely inaudible. While adjustment of the analog input A/D-Gain is also inaudible through the interpolated range, there is a chance that a click can be heard when crossing the 2.5 dB steps. Of course, a rapid change in gain could be interpreted as zipper noise provided that a constant low frequency input signal is present.

This input attenuation scheme is pretty standard for digital consoles, regardless of cost. The digitally controlled analog attenuator is a necessity in the absence of a trimmer potentiometer found on an analog console. This is what makes the mic preamps fully programmable and adds a whole range of functionality to the X32.

I hope it helps!

Best
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Re: X16 (dreamers version)

I was just having a think about what I would love in an X16, and came up with the following.

An 8+9 fader surface similar to the X32
16+8 analogue input panel

That's where the reduction stops. The same brain as the X32, and the same AES inputs. And the same 32-channel control; using a 4x8 fader layout instead of 2x16.

As such, an X16 and an S16 = X32, giving you the same performance in a smaller package. You also have the option to use the X16 as an advanced stage-box for an X32/16 (if you desire) or even as a small FOH mixer controlling a few S16s or even an X32 at side of stage/monitors.

If this hit the market, it would be at the top of my shopping-list.

yes. a thousand times yes. i would buy 4 of these the instant they became available, and probably another 2 or 3 more within a few months....