X32 Discussion

Re: X16 (dreamers version)

I was just having a think about what I would love in an X16, and came up with the following.

An 8+9 fader surface similar to the X32
16+8 analogue input panel

That's where the reduction stops. The same brain as the X32, and the same AES inputs. And the same 32-channel control; using a 4x8 fader layout instead of 2x16.

As such, an X16 and an S16 = X32, giving you the same performance in a smaller package. You also have the option to use the X16 as an advanced stage-box for an X32/16 (if you desire) or even as a small FOH mixer controlling a few S16s or even an X32 at side of stage/monitors.

If this hit the market, it would be at the top of my shopping-list.

So in other words, a rack mounted X32. (x32R!)
I think the X16 should still be 16 channels (2x8 if you want). If you need more than 16 channels, then get the X32/X32R.

Firmware Upgrade

Did a firmware upgrade this week fron 1.09 to 1.10 and while I was doing some programming for an upcoming show the console locked. Still passed audio but needed to cycle power to get it to come back. I have a show on Friday morning/early afternoon, hope it doesn't happen again :roll: ...

So in other words, a rack mounted X32. (x32R!)

Not really. I think making it small enough to fit on top of a rack would make the size too small/cramped.

My thinking was based off how the LS9/16 works. 16-chan out of the box, but can handle 32 with an upgrade (in this case by adding the S16).

Something is beginning to make me feel real nervous about the X32 I just bought. I have a show coming up with many distributed outputs and while the X32 is ideal for this type of application, occasionally some muppet will feed phantom power back down the line. I have repaired literallly hundreds of items this has happened to (mixers, media distros, minidrives etc), and at best it is just a capacitor replacement, ar worst, a chip (especially SSM2142s and their ilk, which do NOT tolerate such treatment. I determined to ask what sort of hardware lies on the other side of the XLR3Ms on the X32, on a worldwide technicians forum I subscribe to. The answer came back that no schematics have been released for the X32, and all repairs will be done at the Las Vegas facility. I live approximately 9000 miles from Las Vegas and freight is approx $300 minimum each way + 2 week round trip. As an ASWC for QSC, Harman products and Presonus (EV coming soon), I do know which end of the soldering iron is hot. I'm afraid.....very afraid.
M

Dear Mike,

As you are in New Zealand, I would recommend that you contact our service depot in Australia for a much quicker repair response. Please PM me with your contact information and I will make sure we reach out to you to coordinate any service or support that is needed.

Pat Ferdig
VP, Care
MUSIC Group

Re: Firmware Upgrade

Did a firmware upgrade this week fron 1.09 to 1.10 and while I was doing some programming for an upcoming show the console locked. Still passed audio but needed to cycle power to get it to come back. I have a show on Friday morning/early afternoon, hope it doesn't happen again :roll: ...

Hi Chris,

I sent you a PM earlier today, thinking you might have had a power sag, (below 85 volts for 20ms), and suggested you use a UPS with the console.

I also want to check that you did not inadvertently hit the option in the Setup Screen to "Lock Console."

If so, just hold down the Home button for 5 seconds to take the console out of Lock Out.

I hope it helps.

Best
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Something is beginning to make me feel real nervous about the X32 I just bought. I have a show coming up with many distributed outputs and while the X32 is ideal for this type of application, occasionally some muppet will feed phantom power back down the line. I have repaired literallly hundreds of items this has happened to (mixers, media distros, minidrives etc), and at best it is just a capacitor replacement, ar worst, a chip (especially SSM2142s and their ilk, which do NOT tolerate such treatment. I determined to ask what sort of hardware lies on the other side of the XLR3Ms on the X32, on a worldwide technicians forum I subscribe to. The answer came back that no schematics have been released for the X32, and all repairs will be done at the Las Vegas facility. I live approximately 9000 miles from Las Vegas and freight is approx $300 minimum each way + 2 week round trip. As an ASWC for QSC, Harman products and Presonus (EV coming soon), I do know which end of the soldering iron is hot. I'm afraid.....very afraid.
M

I don’t like to feed anyone without me putting an isolation transformer between me and them, just play it safe. Worse case scenario you can usually get away with using a passive DI backwards. If you don’t have any isolation transformers handy you probably at least have a bunch of passive DIs around. If you need any more detail let me know.

Something is beginning to make me feel real nervous about the X32 I just bought. I have a show coming up with many distributed outputs and while the X32 is ideal for this type of application, occasionally some muppet will feed phantom power back down the line. I have repaired literallly hundreds of items this has happened to (mixers, media distros, minidrives etc), M

Is this an event where you could just hook up a Press Bridge and call it good. I have a nice little mono 16 output press bridge so that any yahoo can get signal from me and I don't have to worry about it. If you don't have to set different output levels or mixes for each of the sends then this seems like a win for everyone as all items plugged in would be isolated from each other.

Hi Chris,

I sent you a PM earlier today, thinking you might have had a power sag, (below 85 volts for 20ms), and suggested you use a UPS with the console.

Hi Joe,

Looking at a few UPSs for use with the X32, is the 20ms time an estimate or a hard and fast "This or more will trip the mixer"?

Found a couple that suit my purpose physically, just need to know the specifics are correct before I go spending money.

I had a similar issue but while I was recording to USB. The thumb drive I used somehow wasn't compatible with the board (wrong memory speed etc..). It was a different thumb drive than the one I normally used, but I was recording all the sermons at a church conference and it got full. I hit view on the recorder page and the board locked u and still passed audio. It unfroze itself after ten minutes. I hit view again and it locked up. I decided to pull the stick out and lose the message that was currently being shared since the band was about to come back up. I went down the street and bought another stick identical to mine (Sandisk cruzer 8 gb) and everything worked great. So I would recommend using a different thumb drive to update your firmware next time. Hope that helps man!

Dear Mike,

As you are in New Zealand, I would recommend that you contact our service depot in Australia for a much quicker repair response. Please PM me with your contact information and I will make sure we reach out to you to coordinate any service or support that is needed.

Pat Ferdig
VP, Care
MUSIC Group
Couldn't ask for better than that (though NZ <> Aussie in much the same way that USA <> Cuba).
M

Re: Post fader metering

I just use a PC at my mix position running xcontrol. I edit my scribble strips with that and also use it for EQ (a la the avid venue)

I use a PC at home - but would rather not have my laptop floating around at the venue asking to be stolen just to be able to easily edit a scribble strip.

Re: Feature wishlist

Don't have my iPad in front of me but I'm pretty sure you are wrong. Press "Sends on Faders", select the bus you want to adjust and then the channel faders will reflect signal going to that Bus.

Bus, or Buss?

Hello

You are correct. I was on bus-page and it can only be accessed from HOME & channel pages. Coming saturday it will come handy.

Re: Firmware Update?

Jeez............................what side of the bed did you get out of today! I don't like watching youtubes of eighteen-year-old-would-be-sound-engineers who do it just so they can see themselves on youtube, and record their audio at -70db.
Mick Berg.
I don't want to re-open this acrimonious discussion at all, but here's an example of what I was talking about.

I just watched, and was highly amused, by a YouTube X32 " tutorial" where the guy was trying to demonstrate how to select the bus pre-post format, and couldn't find it. He spent way too long looking for it, and then actually said, in the tutorial, "I'm lost"!!!!:lol:

Can you believe that? He didn't even bother to edit it out of his video.

BTW I've also watched several of the videos made by Behringer staff, and they are, as one would expect, properly done and very helpful.

Mick Berg.

M

I don't see why you would be more worried about this with the X32 than with any other console, analog or digital. The only consoles that would be protected are those with output transformers, which is very unusual these days. IMHO your best bet is Kevin's suggestion of the backwards passive DI box. This gives protection against phantom power, and also the correct level for camera mic inputs. Or if you need to have several feeds, a dedicated press box.

Mick Berg.

Hi Joe,

Looking at a few UPSs for use with the X32, is the 20ms time an estimate or a hard and fast "This or more will trip the mixer"?

Found a couple that suit my purpose physically, just need to know the specifics are correct before I go spending money.

Hi Paul,

I got this figure from the development team, it it the amount of time they measured before protection shut down occurs.
So I would say this or more would trip the shut down.

Hope it helps.

Best
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

S16 Webinar Today

Hi Guys,
We still have room for anyone who wants to tune in today for the S16 Webinar.

X32 Live! Webinar/User Group - X32 & S16 Stagebox

Join us for a Webinar on December 13

Space is limited.
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/651672591

Please join us for our X32 Live! Webinar/User Group #14!
This Webinar will focus on expanding on our new Pro Audio family of products including the S16 Stagebox. We will go over setting up the S16, various configurations, and a variety of real-world scenarios in which you would use the Stagebox. We will also go over connecting the S16 with the X32 via Cat-5 cabling, and touch upon other products that could be used in conjunction with the X32 and the S16.
The second hour will be open for questions and live demos!

Title:
X32 Live! Webinar/User Group - X32 & S16 Stagebox
Date:
Thursday, December 13, 2012
Time:
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM PST
After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the Webinar.

I hope you can make it!

Best
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Re: Post fader metering

I use a PC at home - but would rather not have my laptop floating around at the venue asking to be stolen just to be able to easily edit a scribble strip.
Yea I know what you mean. I made a rack with a pull out drawer for a netbook and connect it externally to a large display. The netbook stays locked in the drawer with two small cooling fans and the cables for the display come out the back through a grille with a slot in the side. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse. Seems like a lot but I just used a bunch of stuff I had laying around. I definitely use x control more for setting up show files at home.

I don't see why you would be more worried about this with the X32 than with any other console, analog or digital. The only consoles that would be protected are those with output transformers, which is very unusual these days. IMHO your best bet is Kevin's suggestion of the backwards passive DI box. This gives protection against phantom power, and also the correct level for camera mic inputs. Or if you need to have several feeds, a dedicated press box.

Mick Berg.

Mick, you are missing the point of my post entirely - I know all about isolation transformers and have a very substantial pile of broadcast grade 600/600 "get out of jail free cards". The point is that for any other mixer I care to use, be it Soundcraft, A&H, Mackie, Presonus, Old Midas etc etc, I have this big filing cabinet with full schematics, and should something untoward happen, I can fix it. I am in no way implying that any of these or the X32 are in any way fragile or unreliable, just that sometimes SHIT HAPPENS. When the excrement does occur, as an occupant of a small island at the end of the earth, I like to be able to deal with it. For this, in the absence of a functional crystal ball, to occur, I need schematics. <end of rant>.
M