X32 Discussion

Re: mute groups

Has anyone from Behringer given an answer to the (unusable, for my way of working) mute group behaviour? It drives me mad at every gig!

Oh yeah - their suggestion is to use DCA's instead :( I'm hoping they at least give an option in a future firmware update to toggle the mute group behavior to resemble something that those of us with analog consoles are more accustomed to...

Re: Tap Delay weirdness?

I posted this before. Anyone else finding to tap function sporadic and inaccurate? I find if I tap it too many times it just applies a random time setting and I have to manually adjust with the knob to get it to 'see' the tap button again.
I recall having issues getting the delay to sync to tap tempo. I didn't investigate this further at the time since I know that some tap tempo act on the release of the button and others when being pressed and I therefor needed to find out which way the x32 works...

Re: X Control v0.91

Awesome... You want some reverb with that?

I've been reading your thoughts with bemusement. The ME's job is to give the artist what they ask for within the limits of physics and the gear on hand. If they want something stupid, and it's possible, you give it to them. If its gonna hose the FOH it's on the FOH guy to intervene. That's the way it works...

I remember when folks first started asking for verb in their wedges in the mid 90s. We thought it was stupid. But we racked up an extra SPX900 and made it happen. Cause that's the gig. With digital desks its a knob turn. No reason not to do it.

will it make a mediocre singer worse. Maybe. But that's not the MEs problem...

Re: Headphone jacks

Yes, that's about it - however I measured it at 50, 500 and 1KHz and it's the same at all those. The test loads were purely resistive so no change with frequency there.

Interesting.
37 ohms seems a relatively high output impedance, especially if it is intended to drive 2 sets of headphones. It would certainly explain the drop in level, as the amp would be quite limited in sourcing the current required.

Darren

I've been reading your thoughts with bemusement. The ME's job is to give the artist what they ask for within the limits of physics and the gear on hand. If they want something stupid, and it's possible, you give it to them. If its gonna hose the FOH it's on the FOH guy to intervene. That's the way it works...

I remember when folks first started asking for verb in their wedges in the mid 90s. We thought it was stupid. But we racked up an extra SPX900 and made it happen. Cause that's the gig. With digital desks its a knob turn. No reason not to do it.

will it make a mediocre singer worse. Maybe. But that's not the MEs problem...

You know better than that... if the singer is perceived as "great", it's because the singer IS great; if he/she sucks, it's the monitor guy's fault. /nudge, wink

Re: Faulty channel strip #5

And I do agree that the "initialize desk" should be a bit more clearly named, having missed that so galantly myself :(~:-(~:sad:

Also, while I'm at it, I don't like the the wording "safe" at the parameter protection, it might be "protected" or something, you native english speakers, please come up with a better proposal...

Thanks and best regards,

/Kari

But "safe" and "protected" are different things, almost opposite really, aren't they?
If they were the same, you would not hear all the whining from me!

Mick Berg.

Re: New Firmware - no read-only scenes

I think you've made your point Mick..................................I'll be completely honest I don't think a lot of people even look at the titles of the posts, I know I don't because I know that they don't usually match, nor is it going to be possible to get everyone to do so, no matter how many times someone makes the request.

Yes, I agree, I won't be pushing it any more. But I do have some "insider information" and I'm not optimistic.

And the same goes for the title posts, but that's not a big deal.

Mick.

Re: Recording via FiWi.

I have a 2007-8 MacBook... Basic setup with dual 2.2mHz processor. FW 400... 32 tracks at 48K no problem.

Thank you John.

And others?
Does somebody experience with recording via Fiwi800?
Is it possible to connect X32 FiWi400 - MacBook FiWi800?

Jan Tapak

Re: Mute Group Mechanical Protection

One thing that I have always had a deathly fear of is accidentally hitting a mute group button with headphones or a pen or my elbow or something. To avoid the mortification that would result from having the PA go dead in the middle of a show from this cause, on other consoles I've glued a little plastic bumper strip that would prevent unintentional activation, but the tight spacing of the little grid of mute buttons on the X32 seems to preclude that.

However, a little thought and some spare plastic have resulted in this:

DSC_0444.jpgDSC_0453.jpg

There happened to be a strip of Tuffak or Lexan on hand that was almost exactly 2" wide, and this piece is 3.25" long. The holes are .75" diameter, and I used a Forstner bit to cut them. The top row is .75" from the top on center, and the other two rows are 7/8" apart on center, as are the two columns. The holes are big enough to contain the buttons without interfering, and also leave the numbers visible.

Tuffak and Lexan are unbreakable varieties of Plexiglass-type material, but can be cut. Regular Plexiglass can crack and break, but this stuff won't, even with the narrow bits that are between the holes.

The second pic is to show how thick it is compared to the buttons; a thinner piece would probably work, but this is what was on hand.

I'm not sure of the best way to attach it permanently. The perimeter seems too small for glue/silicon caulk, and screws would require getting inside the console. I'll wait until the warranty is expired to do anything like that. For now, clear packing tape is holding it in place.

So this is something I'd like to see on the X32 from the factory, but I'm not going to wait. This was the third one I made, and it took about a half an hour.

Re: Headphone jacks

Interesting.
37 ohms seems a relatively high output impedance, especially if it is intended to drive 2 sets of headphones. It would certainly explain the drop in level, as the amp would be quite limited in sourcing the current required.

Darren

Yes, I was surprised it was that high. Possibly done to ensure that the output is short circuit proof. I don't think it is intended to drive two sets of phones though, I think having a socket on each side of the desk was just done for operator convenience.

Re: Recording via FiWi.

Thank you John.

And others?
Does somebody experience with recording via Fiwi800?
Is it possible to connect X32 FiWi400 - MacBook FiWi800?

Jan Tapak

Thought I'd reply to this as I have a post Aug 2012 MacBook Pro with Fiwi 800 port. I use a Fiwi 800 to 400 cable and can record 32 tracks no problem to Reaper. I only use reaper for recording the tracks then a take the files to Sonar on my desktop to mix properly.

Mike

One of our European posters once used a signature line that said "I will be your psycho-acoustic caretaker today, but you may call me 'monitor guy'."

(after a referral from a friend)
Hej Tim, Very funny to see it was remembered :) Hope you're doing well.
I still do some monitors now and then, living by the quote.
Greetz!
Sebas

Re: X32

Hey guys, I was reading through the posts and realized that Behringer is probably THEE only company, at least that I know of that actually let the public comment and suggest features for their products and they actually do something about it too !!!! That's just AWESOME !!!
If we had to buy any other product on the market that did not have the desired features we expected, we just had to work and live with it and make it work somehow.

I just want to say Thank you to Uli Behringer and the whole Behringer company for letting us be part of this whole new experience that never existed in any other company before and for making all of us happy users.

Have a prosperous new year

Andre

I'm not sure of the best way to attach it permanently. The perimeter seems too small for glue/silicon caulk, and screws would require getting inside the console. I'll wait until the warranty is expired to do anything like that. For now, clear packing tape is holding it in place.

Two ideas come to mind:

--Rubber cement.

--Clear silicone caulk. I don't think that the edge is too small at all. Carefully mask the top of the plate and leave a tab so that you can easily pick up the masking tape. Carefully mask around the plate, leaving a gap (I'd say equal to the height of the Lexan in this case), and, again, leave a tab so that you can get it up easily. Caulk it and immediately wipe it with a finger to smooth and spread, making sure that it get in close enough that you don't get a ridge when you pull the tape off the board. (A lot of people use a cloth over their finger that's soaked in alcohol when working with silicone. You can look these sorts of techniques up online.) Pull off the tape immediately (which will be difficult since you'll need to avoid moving the Lexan).

Please keep us posted on your success. The shield is a shroud is a great idea and I'm curious how it works out.

Hey guys, I was reading through the posts and realized that Behringer is probably THEE only company, at least that I know of that actually let the public comment and suggest features for their products and they actually do something about it too !!!! That's just AWESOME !!!
If we had to buy any other product on the market that did not have the desired features we expected, we just had to work and live with it and make it work somehow.

I just want to say Thank you to Uli Behringer and the whole Behringer company for letting us be part of this whole new experience that never existed in any other company before and for making all of us happy users.

Have a prosperous new year

Andre

AVID/Digidesign has a page on Ideascale for users to submit feature requests.

Why not clear, double-sided tape? Comes in many strengths, some for permanent mounting and others that are easy to pry off.

Aahh, that's one I didn't know about, but do they act as quickly as Behringer ??

Thanx for the info Tim

The quick answer is "no." The extended answer is that I came late to the party, so many of the early suggestions have been either implemented or rejected. DigiDesign absolutely does not rush firmware updates unless they are fixes to significant bugs.

Much of what people are asking of Behringer are already implemented in the DigiDesign VENUE software (meaningful password protection... not yet, damn it, and "decimal snapshot numbering" for theater is also not yet done), so I'm not sure you can make direct comparisons. Because VENUE is very, very closely tied to ProTools, any changes must be extensively tested before release; likewise if making changes for live use impairs, limits or breaks some feature in ProTools, you can bet they'll never get out of beta test. That said, AVID's main live guy (Robert Scovill -Rush, Tom Petty) indicates the next major upgrade will be huge. AVID spent a bunch of time working out the SC48Remote and Ethernet Snake Card so now that is out of the way I'd expect to see the "new" VENUE software and updated hardware sometime later this year, but have no inside info.