X32 Discussion

OSC - xcontrol

Off hand does anyone know which udp port number xcontrol uses to receive OSC data from the x32 ( I presume it sends on port 10023)?

Re: Interesting Scribble Strip Issue!

Hi all,

I just found an issue on my X32 that's really weird. On the 3rd layer where the Auxes and FX returns are, one of the scribble strips is "black". It's the one for Aux 5. Obviously, I checked the scribble strip settings for that channel and it is set to Green and has an icon and text set also. What's really weird is that exact scribble strip works fine on the other layers! I'm able to set different colors, icons, etc and I have no problem with it at all. I had an idea to point my flashlight at the scribble strip while it was blacked out (3rd layer), and interestingly, I found that an "x" character is displaying on the screen. Also, when I switch layers really fast, I can see the ghost image of the "x" display momentarily on the other layers. Note that all of the other channels & scribble strips work just fine. I'd take a video and/or pictures but I have it at church right now.

The way I figure it is that if it was a scribble strip issue, it would work or not work. What do you guys think? This sounds like a possible software glitch?

Please chime in.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I think the problem here is that you have the channel source set to off, I have just replicated the issue here in our UK care centre, I too can see the ghosting "X", this is normal when you toggle that quickly between layers where a screen is off on one layer and then "on", on another. Try the following:

Press SELECT above the affected channel
Press HOME
Navigate accross to CONFIG
Using the 3rd encoder scroll and select the input source for that channel.
Click encoder to confirm.

If however you feel you have a fault with the screen then please don't hesitate to PM me and we'll get the issue resolved for you asap :)~:)~:smile:

Kind Regards
Jim Knowles
CARE EMEA / Tech Support
MUSIC Group / BEHRINGER

Last edited:
Re: X32 Feature Requests

G'day Uli

Congratulations on the success however I'm sure you understand you deserve it! You have done such good work you've turnd the audio world upside down!

Now - to my request -
From a recording standpoint - I would dearly love to be able to select any input (mic/Aux) for the firewire card, pre- or post eq/fader etc. This would open up the usefulness of the desk to me as currently, to use (say) an Aux input, into a channel, and then to the firewire card it's a bit of a pain.

Being able to select pre/post eq to the firewire would mean that if I dial in a killer kick sound, I can record it!

Also, having the 16 channel faders available to the DAW would rock - I'm aware of the midi channel thing however Mackie have the extender to add 8 more faders so I'm sure it's wihin your capabilities!

Thanks again.
Thanks

Dear all,

We Like to Have Your Feedback for the Upcoming 2.0 Upgrade

Please leave comments here but also on our forum where we have a dedicated topic. (www.behringer.com/forum)

Uli

1. True LCR panning with a single pan control
2. Ability to assign DCA's to other DCA's
3. Ability to assign DCA's to other busses
4. In the Library, ability to insert new patches rather than having to add patches in a blank slot at the end or erasing an earlier patch that already exists.
5. In the Library, an edit function to so that you can modify description of patch without having to first load onto a channel, then re-saving to get to the description feature again
6. Ability to toggle between pre and post changes to a selected channel to compare changes easily before finalizing.
7. Ability to move the dynamics processing in the signal chain so that you have the option of having EQ in the monitors without compression. That way the performer will be less likely to "fight" the compression.

1. True LCR panning with a single pan control
2. Ability to assign DCA's to other DCA's
3. Ability to assign DCA's to other busses
4. In the Library, ability to insert new patches rather than having to add patches in a blank slot at the end or erasing an earlier patch that already exists.
5. In the Library, an edit function to so that you can modify description of patch without having to first load onto a channel, then re-saving to get to the description feature again
6. Ability to toggle between pre and post changes to a selected channel to compare changes easily before finalizing.
7. Ability to move the dynamics processing in the signal chain so that you have the option of having EQ in the monitors without compression. That way the performer will be less likely to "fight" the compression.

I believe a lot does perform like you request, but please respond if I'm wrong.
1. You can set the mode to true lcr panning.
2. I don't see the use, but who am I. :blush:
3. That is possible. (In the menu)
4. Not sure about these, but for instance you can insert scenes.
5. Ok.
6. Not sure if I understand your question. EDIT: You want a undo / redo function. :)~:)~:smile:
7. This is possible, you can put eq before compression. Downside for me is that you have to use the side chain sometimes to have desired behaviour on gates.

Last edited:
Re: Interesting Scribble Strip Issue!

Hi Paul,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I think the problem here is that you have the channel source set to off, I have just replicated the issue here in our UK care centre, I too can see the ghosting "X", this is normal when you toggle that quickly between layers where a screen is off on one layer and then "on", on another. Try the following:

Press SELECT above the affected channel
Press HOME
Navigate accross to CONFIG
Using the 3rd encoder scroll and select the input source for that channel.
Click encoder to confirm.

If however you feel you have a fault with the screen then please don't hesitate to PM me and we'll get the issue resolved for you asap :)~:)~:smile:

Kind Regards
Jim Knowles
CARE EMEA / Tech Support
MUSIC Group / BEHRINGER

Thanks Jim! That's exactly what the problem was. I guess you could say it wasn't even a problem :) Thanks for your support!

Regards,
Paul

Hey Uli, (and all the Behringer guys)...

Thanks for giving us all a chance to rant about the crazy things we want your sub $3000 mixer to be able to do!

My 3 sugguestions:
1. Add a expander function to the gate, so we can use it along side with the compressor. Need it to clean up noisy guitar amps and other sources without having to settle for just a gate.

2. Get rid of the "pop" when we hit the phantom power button. Somehow Roland does it on thier consoles, maybe you could make the channel automatically mute for a second after that is switched on/off? It's a drag to hear popping sounds when switching scenes with various phantom power states...

3. Make the direct outs switchable for pre/post mute, and the output busses also switchable that way too. When using the p-16m, some guys want to have the sends to that post mute also. When mixing channels on auxes to feed to a channel on the p-16m - some guys want the option of having that pre-mute. Right now it's a weird mix of both, that I can't modify.

Thanks for the chance to rant!

Declan.

Last edited:

I'd like to see an option for the pick off point for the monitor mixes to be pre-gate. As is we can get pre fader, pre EQ, and pre compressor, but not pre gate.

I don't want the musicians aware of these gates opening and closing.

Mike
I've been trying to figure out what you're doing with gates that would annoy musicians.... and as an extension, I'd say that if you're annoying the musicians you're doing your job wrong.

I find myself wishing for a "reset" button for the gain value in the EQ. There is currently a reset for the entire EQ (all the bands). I'm just wanting a "zero" for the gain on a particular band. btw, when first playing with the desk, pushing the knob in was the first thing I tried to get this function.

First "show"

Did my first live mix (HoW) yesterday on the X-32 (with s-16).. it was pretty sweet!!! I'm liking the DCA's. Thanks to Tobias at Worship Systems(.com) for setting up and tuning the system. The d&b t-12's and s-30 subs rocked!

Grinnin' like a 'possum!

Uli,
I echo the sentiments of some of my fellow users here when I say thanks for listening to our rants about desires. Your sub- $3k console has really made an impact on all of us...
With that said, here goes nothing.....

1. Please oh please give us point to point patching, and not this groups of 8 patching.
A. Some of us need only 12 channels from AES50, and 20 from local, plus all 6 (or 8) from the AUX inputs.
B. And please allow for individual patching on the outs- not mirrors of the analog outs sent to the S16
2. Multiple channel fader grouping, not just two adjacent channels. Yes, we have DCA's, but I find both can be highly functional when you've used up all your DCA's...
3. The ability to sacrifice an effects processor (#4) to gain "full channel" capability on the AUX ins- thus making the X32 into a full 40 or more inputs (very helpful in conjunction with the S16's)
4. White text in the scribble strips over darker colors - like the Xcontrol software does.
5. The ability to assign our "money channel" to the MAIN fader, and consequently display the control of the STEREO out on the Matrix layer- fader 8, and move the Mono/Center to fader 7 on said matrix layer.

That's it- I think. THANKS for asking!!!!!

Last edited:
Re: X32 V2.0 Feature Requests

1. As might be expected from me, the capability to protect selected scenes from being overwritten. What is needed is a checkmark per scene that you toggle in the scene list. And a text box where you enter a password to globally enable/disable the scene protection. Compared with some of the other feature requests, this is very simple. It still surprises me that it isn't already implemented.

2. A multi-band compressor to replace the very rudimentary de-esser.

3. And here's my dream request, I really don't expect to see this one. A Dugan-style (gain-sharing) auto-mixer function that can be applied to any number of adjacent channels, up to sixteen. Functions per channel would be Weight, ability to select one of three Groups, and Bypass.

4. Rationalisation of the Mute Groups. Already well-described elsewhere in the thread.

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

I just had a thought - why couldn't the mute switches for channels muted by a mute group pulse brighter?? I'm thinking a fast pulse, almost a strobe. If you wanted to get real geeky, the number of pulses match the highest (or lowest) mute group if multiple mute groups are affecting one channel. Not to overthink things 8O~8-O~:shock:

Eric, I hope you are joking! That would be horrible!!8O~8-O~:shock:

Mick Berg.

I've been trying to figure out what you're doing with gates that would annoy musicians.... and as an extension, I'd say that if you're annoying the musicians you're doing your job wrong.

Drum gates that are appropriate for FOH can be distracting in drum monitors or in ears. Fast release is often better in a boomy room but sounds like popcorn popping in an in ear monitor.

Drum gates that are appropriate for FOH can be distracting in drum monitors or in ears. Fast release is often better in a boomy room but sounds like popcorn popping in an in ear monitor.

So boomy, ringing, feeding back drums are better for the player?

In my observations I see most mixerpersons setting gate parameters inappropriately. Do you *really* need 100dB of level reduction, with a 10ms hold and 80ms release? Don't laugh, John, I see this all the time.

Another comment up-thread mentioned gating choir mics. Really? Isn't turning down or muting unused inputs the JOB OF THE OPERATOR? Gating vocal mics would be *really* annoying to performers and sound bad on the recordings, too.

What John said above is my exact reasoning behind not gating monitors. And hey, I'll keep my mind open and say in some situations, gating monitors may help out a lot. But in other situations in might hurt. There's always different ways of doing things in audio, so you can't assume someone's doing their job wrong just because its not how you do it.

In my mind, I'm doing sound for a rock band, and the singer has for the first half of the night consistently provided a threshold to open the gate which I've set. But then a song starts where he sings something very softly, and its not opening the gate. I at FOH, 100ft away, hear the gate not opening in the mains and make the appropriate adjustments and lower the threshold (or temporarily turn the gate off). If his voice is gated in the monitor, he may have an "oh crap" moment and look at me because he's thinking he got accidentally muted. He might even stop the band to signal me, hey I'm muted! And I have to yell in the monitor, "nah it's all good man the gate wasn't opening for a second or two. Let me explain to you how gates work." Hehe I hope that makes sense.

And yes I sometimes work with not so professional singers. I'm sure many of you scoff at the idea and only work with the worlds greatest musicians but I'm a weekend warrior type of sound guy.

What John said above is my exact reasoning behind not gating monitors. And hey, I'll keep my mind open and say in some situations, gating monitors may help out a lot. But in other situations in might hurt. There's always different ways of doing things in audio, so you can't assume someone's doing their job wrong just because its not how you do it.

In my mind, I'm doing sound for a rock band, and the singer has for the first half of the night consistently provided a threshold to open the gate which I've set. But then a song starts where he sings something very softly, and its not opening the gate. I at FOH, 100ft away, hear the gate not opening in the mains and make the appropriate adjustments and lower the threshold (or temporarily turn the gate off). If his voice is gated in the monitor, he may have an "oh crap" moment and look at me because he's thinking he got accidentally muted. He might even stop the band to signal me, hey I'm muted! And I have to yell in the monitor, "nah it's all good man the gate wasn't opening for a second or two. Let me explain to you how gates work." Hehe I hope that makes sense.

And yes I sometimes work with not so professional singers. I'm sure many of you scoff at the idea and only work with the worlds greatest musicians but I'm a weekend warrior type of sound guy.

My ways are not the only ways, but having done the exact types of gigs you're doing now, with the same (or even worse) level of 'talent', I can say that you're using the wrong gate. The one you need to use was most likely original equipment to your body... the FINGER gate. It works in conjunction with the input channel fader.