X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

Hi Per,

The user manual contains a block diagramm. In this diagramm you can see at the left bottom corner the analog inputs, XLR and Aux. The analog gain, with the 2.5dB steps is located before the A/D convertor. As far as I understand such diagramms it is the triangle left of the A/D convertor. Then the signal comes into the block named IO/Patch. This is the area from which the signal can be routed to the UFX card. Now the signal goes via the DSP patch to the mix channels. In the channel you can find the ATT block where the digital trim takes place.

So far my understanding of the input signal flow. But I may be competly wrong because what do a mechanical engineer knows about electricity?:D~:-D~:grin:

Hi Per,

The user manual contains a block diagramm. In this diagramm you can see at the left bottom corner the analog inputs, XLR and Aux. The analog gain, with the 2.5dB steps is located before the A/D convertor. As far as I understand such diagramms it is the triangle left of the A/D convertor. Then the signal comes into the block named IO/Patch. This is the area from which the signal can be routed to the UFX card. Now the signal goes via the DSP patch to the mix channels. In the channel you can find the ATT block where the digital trim takes place.

So far my understanding of the input signal flow. But I may be competly wrong because what do a mechanical engineer knows about electricity?:D~:-D~:grin:
Yeah, it seems that the block diagram omited the variable gain of the analog stage, a.k.a. the triangle. For argument sake it seems to be a good place to put the digital trim in the att-section.

Remote scene change problem

Hello

I have two gigs coming, where I leave X32 on stage and control it with iPad - nothing new so far. However - both gigs have many bands and today I was testing remote scene switching - could not find it - on iPad I go to scene select - go to next - BUT - where is "confirm" ??? Had to go to mixer

It must be something simple, that I am missing - on laptop Xcontrol is the question "Load scene and lose current settings?" - but not on iPad

Surely I will be walking to stage to move microphones for next act, so I might just as well select new scene while near mixer - but I just want to know...

Thanks

Re: Remote scene change problem

I got an email about a recording software from music group. I couldn't find that email and probably deleted it since I did a search and couldn't come with a result. Can anyone send me a link to the recording product that works with the x32? Thanks.

I don't think you are wrong. BTW: the triangle that you call analog gain I would prefer to call preamp, but that's just me.

X32 is Shipping

Dear all,

we're proud to announce that the X32 Compact is now shipping and production is in full swing.

Allow me to share a very cool piece of technology.

For the first time, we have implemented a fully-integrated testing procedure where the Audio Precision AP2 testing system actually "talks" to the mixer. It automatically operates and controls all functions through Ethernet. This very sophisticated integrated testing system dramatically increases the testing quality, virtually eliminating human error.

I would like to thank our MIDAS engineers in Manchester for having developed such an great tool.

From the pictures, you also see the "soak" test, where every product is "burned-in" for 4 hours.

Exciting times.

Warm regards

Uli

X32 Packed.jpgX32 Compact.jpgX32 Compact Robert.jpg

Re: X32 is Shipping

Dear all,

we're proud to announce that the X32 Compact is now shipping and production is in full swing.

Allow me to share a very cool piece of technology.

For the first time, we have implemented a fully-integrated testing procedure where the Audio Precision AP2 testing system actually "talks" to the mixer. It automatically operates and controls all functions through Ethernet. This very sophisticated integrated testing system dramatically increases the testing quality, virtually eliminating human error...

View attachment 7036

Congrats, Uli! That seems to be a significant achievement; I can't imagine how boring it must be to test mixers all day, and this device looks like it will make the people less bored with the task and maybe catch some things that might not have got caught before.

Is there an automated device that tests buttons and such?

Also, those consoles without the cheeks look almost rack-mount width...

(I want to believe!)

Good going, Midas people!

Dan

Re: X32 is Shipping

According to the Swedish distributor website the difference in price between the compact and full size is only 1.600kr (approx €190). This puts the price of the compact to 20.700kr (approx €2200).

For me the very small difference in price and lesser i/o put me in a position where I'd choose the full size instead of the compact even if this meant a larger footprint. This puts the ix16 as its biggest competitor?

The core is shown to have a price of 8.400kr (approx €1000). No prices for the rack yet.

These are listed prices so the street price is lower of course...

Last edited:
X32 Rack

Does anyone know if the X32 Rack can be used like an S16 feeding a full X32?

Ideally, I'd like to use the X32 Rack as a stagebox connected via AES50 to the X32 desk and for smaller venues just use the X32 Rack with an iPad.
The other option for the smaller venues would be an X32 Core + an S16 but I guess this would be much more expensive than the rack and money is tight?
16 channels is enough for our requirements as a 4 piece live band currently.

Re: X32 Rack

Ideally, I'd like to use the X32 Rack as a stagebox connected via AES50 to the X32 desk and for smaller venues just use the X32 Rack with an iPad.
The other option for the smaller venues would be an X32 Core + an S16 but I guess this would be much more expensive than the rack and money is tight?
As far as I'm understanding it you need to setup the x32r from its control panel or preferably from a computer/ipad. Then you can send the i/o via the aes50 to your x32.

People are asking for the ability to use the x32r as an s16 by remote control from the x32 kind of thing but so far berry haven't acknowledged this feature request.

Re: Remote scene change problem

Hello

I have two gigs coming, where I leave X32 on stage and control it with iPad - nothing new so far. However - both gigs have many bands and today I was testing remote scene switching - could not find it - on iPad I go to scene select - go to next - BUT - where is "confirm" ??? Had to go to mixer

It must be something simple, that I am missing - on laptop Xcontrol is the question "Load scene and lose current settings?" - but not on iPad

Surely I will be walking to stage to move microphones for next act, so I might just as well select new scene while near mixer - but I just want to know...

Thanks
I'm not sure if you mean that you get the confirm popup on the x32 or if you just can't figure out how to execute a scene change.

If it is the popup you need to disable the confirmations in the setup menu on the console.

If it's the scene change you select a scene so it shows on the top of your ipad. Then you drag it onto the red 'ticket' to execute the actual change.

I take it that you want to use the X32 Rack as pure stagebox for the full X32 (no different to using an s16) and where space is tight ditch the full X32 and use the Rack controlled by an iPad for all the mixing. this will be fine as it is no different than using a second full X32 to feed inputs via AES50 to another console (monitor console feeding signals to FOH X32). You may have to do some reassigning on the rack when you want to switch but it shouldn't be a problem.

I take it that you want to use the X32 Rack as pure stagebox for the full X32 (no different to using an s16) and where space is tight ditch the full X32 and use the Rack controlled by an iPad for all the mixing. this will be fine as it is no different than using a second full X32 to feed inputs via AES50 to another console (monitor console feeding signals to FOH X32). You may have to do some reassigning on the rack when you want to switch but it shouldn't be a problem.

The problem is that you want to control the analog gain stage from the full X32, and not from the rack. That's a question unanswered by behringer afaik.
I have the same thoughs, also thinking of a rack for stage (S16) use.

Re: X32 Compact

You know a product is too cool for school when your absolutely chomping at the bit to get your hands on one, even when you already have it, and technically the bigger and better version.

No, this is wrong!

The preamp gain you talk about is included in the channel gain. You can verify this by turning the channel gain and watch the preamp gain jump every 2.5dB.

You are hereby corrected ;-)

you really need to understand what we are trying to tell you - You can never bypass the channel preamp. It is needed to set the correct level into the a/d. There is no gain in the a/d to control. That would be only a digital gain if it were to be controlled.

All mixers have some preamp on its inputs. It doesn't matter if it's a mic or line input.

On the x32 you have no reason to bypass any preamp. Your daw will record the signal right after the a/d and when you return the signal from your daw into the x32 it never enters the preamp again - Ever!

Now, go and record some stuff and be very happy about the sound from your x32 because you are overthinking it...

OK, now I understood, you just simplified the explanation to dumb animals (also a song of handsome furs) and I flowed you till the end.

Regarding the weak gain signal - I discovered it depends on input configuration you use. When I use Card 1-8 as input, the channel strip gain knob its acting independently of setup-preams section A/D gain. Practically I can raise it to have a hot signal by rotating the push rotary knob on the preamp section even I already have the channel strip gain all the way up. Its not the same gain as the knob located on channel strip.

When I use Local 1-8 as input, the channel strip gain knob its indeed, acting together with setup-preams section A/D gain. But only with this configuration.

So its possible to have a weak signal and make it hotter when you use card 1-8 input using A/D gain even you have dialled the channel gain up . Just described what I fund by trial. Don't now if its good or bad to raise A/D gain. For me just makes sense to rise it and have a proper input gain if my input is weak.

Sorry to everyone if I took over this tread. I'm in a learning process from zero. Till now I was just a guitarist reading only about valves, pedals and strings. I cannot find anywhere all the infos that you gave me or to others on this tread. its the most valued place for a beginner on x32 features. I promise not to be so insistent in the future.Tank you very much!