X32 Discussion

Re: Digital Split/monitor desk

I'm not sure why, but I seem to have found that you need to set the SYNCHRONIZATION to AES50-A/B on the FOH board as well. Do this in SETUP UTILITY Config tab I believe- I'm not at the console just now.

Thank you. This is exactly the step I was missing. It's not documented in the manual that I found, but it makes total sense. The sample rate needs to be the same for both boards as well. Strangely, the two brand new boards I was setting up were set to different rates out of the box. Matched them up, and everything is now wonderful.

My plan will be to plug everything into the monitor console, and FOH outputs will be patched back to the monitor board as well. That way, if crap hits the fan and one board goes down, or the cat 5 cable gets chewed by a squirrel, or one of the board operators dies, it's a simple routing change and we're back online. The only downside is that the pre-amp control is set on the monitor board only. At least you can tweak the trim up or down from the FOH board, so as long as it's close and not into clip on the monitor console, it'll work great.

Re: Compact Shipping

Wasn't Uli's post about shipping from the factory in China? There'd be a lag between that shipping and the shipping from the distributor to dealers.

I sure hope that isn't the case. Shipping from the factory would occur before shipping from any distributor making the actual availability even later. In every case that a rep from Behringer has stated a ship date estimate, they have followed with a statement of "4 to 6 weeks later it should be in stores".

I am guessing that there was a stop ship because of a last minute issue of some kind and that the new ship date is "within the next few weeks".

As much as I am eager to have my X32 Rack, I would much rather that Behringer get it right BEFORE they ship it.

The X32 launch was repeatedly pushed back. Lots of people grumbled about it, but look at the results. A nearly flawless launch.

Compare that to the beleaguered Soundcraft Expression Si. Still lockups and issues being reported and people now starting to give up on the mixer and selling them in some cases.

Behringer can't afford to have such a launch. They are working hard to set the vision in peoples minds that Behringer can make affordable higher end gear that is reliable and sounds good.

I am an engineering manager myself. I always tell the team that one "awww shit" will erase 100 "ad-a-boy's".

Being late for launch will cost Behringer some sales as people tire of waiting for product, but releasing a product that isn't ready for prime time would be devastating to their current AND future sales. It is hyper-critical IMHO that Behringer protect the good reputation of the X32 family.

Also, I can tell you that the full X32 is a relatively low volume product compared to the X32 producer and X32 Rack which I would estimate will sell many times the volume of the X32. The last thing you want is an issue in the field on a high volume product.

The iX16 will be even higher in volume.

What we found at the festival in which there were multiple rooms with multiple X32 FOH/Mon combos, was that it was not so much an issue of competence as attention.

The monitor operator almost never needs ALL inputs to be sent to the monitors (think rack toms, overheads, bass mic vs. di, etc.), and so pays little attention to proper gain staging for those "other" inputs. The operator has hands full without that "extra" duty.

Because FOH is downstream from Mon console (in the easiest to set up format), lack of proper gain staging can be a problem. It's easy to overlook unused inputs, apparently, even though they're right there on the console.

Maybe in a world where the FOH and Mon operators work together all the time with the same gear, the process could become normal. As is in my world, they are not together enough to develop a specialized workflow.

Current thinking is to double up on S16's, with a Y cord patch panel ahead of them. Haven't done this yet, though, as I haven't been doing that kind of gigs.

Im working on a Passive split for that reason. 4 S16 2 for FOH and 2 for monitors.. and use one rack with 32 XLR's and split that into 2 sections 32 xlr's for FOH and 32 xlr's for Monitors.. hope to have that done by this fall will have pics to show when its done.. with this setup you will be totally seprate from foh and monitors and wont have to rely on the FOH taking the control over the pre amps or vise versa..

Randy

Re: Compact Shipping

MG City Overview.jpg MG City Piling.jpg

Dear all,

Allow me to clarify the misunderstanding around shipping.

Our announcements always relate to "shipments ex factory" to our distributors. Please add 4-6 weeks to see the products in stores, depending on the location the containers travel to. In some countries where we don't have direct partners it will take our distributors additional time to distribute the products to the retail stores.

In terms of the X32 Compact, there were no delays and we have shipped the product exactly on time. In fact, you can already find the first units in some European stores.

Behringer - X32 Compact Digitalmischpult : Mixing consoles & accessories

As announced earlier, we have planned production of the X32 Rack and Core for July and are confident to meet the timeline. However, since we have massive back orders, we won't be able to meet demand for the next coming months.

The demand for the X32, especially in markets such as the US and Europe, has been simply overwhelming and to date all forecasts were too low. Our US distributor Starin, just informed us that our last shipment of 600 units was literally sold out within a day.

Less than a year after shipping the first X32, and around 40,000 sold consoles later, demand is still increasing. In fact, despite multiple production increases, we continue to face challenges as our current factory simply cannot be expanded any further.

We are pleased to announce that we have started construction of our new MUSIC Group factory, which is a fully automated manufacturing facility on 3 million square feet land with an investment of more than US$ 50 million.

This state-of-the-art plant will not only allow us to dramatically improve efficiency but further increase quality of our products due to the high level of automation and integration.

Over the next months we will be sharing with you the exciting development of this massive project as it will also help you understand the overall Company Vision.

While most competitors have outsourced their production and leave their fate in the hands of third party contractors, our path has exactly been the opposite. In-house manufacturing, vendor management, quality control and vertical integration are intrinsic components that define who we are as a Company.

As you can imagine, we are incredibly excited about our new home, which we have been planning for the past several years.
We expect to move in by September 2014.

Thank you for all your support.

Warm regards

Uli

Last edited:

Im working on a Passive split for that reason. 4 S16 2 for FOH and 2 for monitors.. and use one rack with 32 XLR's and split that into 2 sections 32 xlr's for FOH and 32 xlr's for Monitors.. hope to have that done by this fall will have pics to show when its done.. with this setup you will be totally seprate from foh and monitors and wont have to rely on the FOH taking the control over the pre amps or vise versa..

Randy

Hello

That will undoubtly be working solution - expensive, though.

Important thing to consider - when switching phantom on at one leg of y-cord, will the other legs input like it ??

Most likely it will be o.k. but I can remember having issues with "birds singing" when doing that with analog consoles. But then - it is very easy to test before dashing out money ...

I am at the end of my patience !

Dear colleges
Unfortunately I have to report very disappointing experience with my X32. It had to be sent two times from Germany to England for repair: The fault where the Bus-send encoders left of the screen not working properly - they where "stuttering"
and it was audible in the wedges. Anyway first time Kidderminster returned the desk not repaired only being reset to factory default. So it had to be shipped back again to England. This time the fault was found and repaired. Up to here the procedure was smooth and shipping was fast. One week return time, beside of the costs and efforts to have an replacement desk hired in to do my work.
Last night I switched on the desk and I found screen and monitor bus dead. The desk is unusable for any work. I contact care@ music-group and John DiNicola here in the forum. I lost confidence in this desk.
By the way I am on a 50 show tour and any of you touring can imaging how annoying it is to deal with such issues on the road.
Till Erb​

Hello

That will undoubtly be working solution - expensive, though.

Important thing to consider - when switching phantom on at one leg of y-cord, will the other legs input like it ??

Most likely it will be o.k. but I can remember having issues with "birds singing" when doing that with analog consoles. But then - it is very easy to test before dashing out money ...

I have built a few of these splits for analogs desks and as long as it ether FOH or monitor run the phatom power. Its best to let the FOH guy run the phatom power on channels that are need.. and if you look at most passive splits this is how most of them do it. It shoun't effect the monitor desk at all.. and its the same in alot of bigger concert systems use passive splits. You can use Jenson transformers in your snake to isolate it but that will be one heavy beast.... But like i said i have been using passive splits for years and never had any issues at all..

Randy

Re: I am at the end of my patience !

A real shame that you have such a bad experience, and it is stories like this that begs the question if maybe Behringer ought to offer field service courses.
In my experience more than 90% of faults in digital equipment and also in mixers are down to unseated ribbons, unseated cards, fluff in a fan, etc. and only rarely are skills beyond basic mechanic and electrical needed for the remainder of the faults that crop up. Such courses (that would enable basic fault diagnosis and repair without voiding warranty) are obviously not the solution for everybody, but I believe it would be a good supplement to existing service opportunities.

Dear Till,

My utmost apology for this situation with your console.
I can assure you this is not the norm. I will do everything in my power to make sure you are up and running ASAP.
I have notified our CARE UK department to reach out to you first thing Monday morning.

Dear colleges
Unfortunately I have to report very disappointing experience with my X32. It had to be sent two times from Germany to England for repair: The fault where the Bus-send encoders left of the screen not working properly - they where "stuttering"
and it was audible in the wedges. Anyway first time Kidderminster returned the desk not repaired only being reset to factory default. So it had to be shipped back again to England. This time the fault was found and repaired. Up to here the procedure was smooth and shipping was fast. One week return time, beside of the costs and efforts to have an replacement desk hired in to do my work.
Last night I switched on the desk and I found screen and monitor bus dead. The desk is unusable for any work. I contact care@ music-group and John DiNicola here in the forum. I lost confidence in this desk.
By the way I am on a 50 show tour and any of you touring can imaging how annoying it is to deal with such issues on the road.
Till Erb​

Till I bet it is no doubt frustrating to say the least. I feel for you. However, if I can make a suggestion, I would not give up quite yet. You simply cannot get the kind of quality for your money as you can out of an X32 system. Thousands of users including myself have had nothing but a great time using an X32. I simply cannot imagine going back to my analog rig ever again. 3 grand is simply the absolute maximum amount I was willing to spend on a console. And I feel I made the right choice.

Good luck to you and I hope you see it through.

Hi Till,
Your story is amost the same as mine except....
the brand in my story is IBM, the product a T-series notebook, the problen a flickering display and at last, wait a little..., the time to fix takes almost 4 month and several travelling of the book. In the meantime I used another book, because my business is writing software and a functional notebook is part of my business.
Sure it is frustrating when a piece of gear fails and the customer care is not able to fix it in a reasonable matter. But it is on your responsibilty to fulfill your customers demands. But fortunately the X32 is not the main desk on your tour as I have read in another forum you posted this incidence. This brings me to something that smells a little bad. Why is it required to post the same story in so many forums? It seems that you try to make your issue bigger than it is. Here in austria we call such behaviour "vernadern";-)

Printing Current patch

Is there any way to print out the current patch and channel config?

I don't see it as an option anywhere, but it would be extremely useful if from the X32 edit app, you could simply print out what the patch is. That would make it SO easy when switching stages to have several copies of the patch printed out so everyone on stage that is patching mics can refer to their own copy as needed. Would make life so much easier.

Currently, I do this manually, and there are cases where things change from the time that I put together the list to the time that the console gets programmed.

Shouldn't be that hard of a feature to create if it doesn't yet exist.

Hi Till,
Your story is amost the same as mine except....
the brand in my story is IBM, the product a T-series notebook, the problen a flickering display and at last, wait a little..., the time to fix takes almost 4 month and several travelling of the book. In the meantime I used another book, because my business is writing software and a functional notebook is part of my business.
Sure it is frustrating when a piece of gear fails and the customer care is not able to fix it in a reasonable matter. But it is on your responsibilty to fulfill your customers demands. But fortunately the X32 is not the main desk on your tour as I have read in another forum you posted this incidence. This brings me to something that smells a little bad. Why is it required to post the same story in so many forums? It seems that you try to make your issue bigger than it is. Here in austria we call such behaviour "vernadern";-)

Dear Klaus
my first try to contact care@music-group regarding this desk took more than 2 weeks, several PMs to admins and support managers before I even got any answer and only after posting in the forums I got reaction. The procedure of shipping the desk back and forth was quick and easy, the result not acceptable. And meanwhile I have received an PM from Joe Sanborn from Behringer, which shows that it helped to go public with my issue.
So let´s see how this develops and be assured that I will post delighting experience with the support in the 3 forums as well.
Till

Dear Klaus
my first try to contact care@music-group regarding this desk took more than 2 weeks, several PMs to admins and support managers before I even got any answer and only after posting in the forums I got reaction. The procedure of shipping the desk back and forth was quick and easy, the result not acceptable. And meanwhile I have received an PM from Joe Sanborn from Behringer, which shows that it helped to go public with my issue.
So let´s see how this develops and be assured that I will post delighting experience with the support in the 3 forums as well.
Till

Hi Till,

sometimes it is good to let out some steam ( Germanism ) :)~:)~:smile: ,

as a pro, you know exactly the value of a working X32

and to the Behringer guys:
It seems pretty obvious, that going public with problems speeds up things considerably,
this might be a double edged sword

Uwe

Last edited:

Hi Till,

sometimes it is good to let out some steam ( Germanism ) :)~:)~:smile: ,

as a pro, you know exactly the value of a working X32

and to the Behringer guys:
It seems pretty obvious, that going public with problems speeds up things considerably,
this might be a double edged sword

Uwe

There are now around 40,000 X32's out there being used by 10's of thousands of people (many sound companies have more than one).

I frequent all of the more prolific forums. I am guessing that only a couple hundred of those 10's of thousands spend the time to look on forums for help or advice.

.... but those couple of hundred are likely the most influential in the business. IMHO, Behringers policy of active participation in the major sound forums is great business sense. I wish other companies would do the same.