X32 Discussion

Re: I am at the end of my patience !

I am at the end of my patience !

Dear colleges
Unfortunately I have to report very disappointing experience with my X32. It had to be sent two times from Germany to England for repair: The fault where the Bus-send encoders left of the screen not working properly - they where "stuttering"
and it was audible in the wedges. Anyway first time Kidderminster returned the desk not repaired only being reset to factory default. So it had to be shipped back again to England. This time the fault was found and repaired. Up to here the procedure was smooth and shipping was fast. One week return time, beside of the costs and efforts to have an replacement desk hired in to do my work.
Last night I switched on the desk and I found screen and monitor bus dead. The desk is unusable for any work. I contact care@ music-group and John DiNicola here in the forum. I lost confidence in this desk.
By the way I am on a 50 show tour and any of you touring can imaging how annoying it is to deal with such issues on the road.
Till Erb​

Dear Till,

My name is Jim Knowles and I work in the UK Care Center on the Tech Support desk. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced. I will contact you via email to resolve this situation a quickly as possible. Should you have any questions or concerns then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards
Jim Knowles
CARE EMEA / Tech Support
MUSIC Group / BEHRINGER

Re: Printing Current patch

Had an intensive X32 weekend:)
Three gigs on three days. Yesterday was easy going (BBQ Championship with one small band and just basic moderation stuff...took no pictures of that). Last Friday I did a more unusual gig. I did sound for an avantgarde/new music experimental ensemble. Unusual Band line up: Drums, vibraphone, marimbas, gtr, trumpet, bass clarinette, electric fiddle, accordion, tons of keyboards, sopran vocals and one narrator. Needed all inputs of the X32 and all outputs. Nine ways monitor, PA system was done in quadrophonie and an additional feed to a second room with a split of the video as well. The show was recorded on a MBP with Nuendo Live. We had intensive rehearsals, and most of the show was done with scenes. According to the concept of the show, the FoH (sound/light/video) was part of the gig. That's why we placed the desks so close to the stage and donned the same cloth as the musicians. All musicians are top notch professionals, so doing sound was acutally quite easy. What an awesome experience and change to the usual Top40 business:)

Saturday I was going back to normal. Small city festival, straight cover rockband. The band was mixed on a X32Rack - really love that thing. So small, yet so powerfull.
Here's a short video from my iPhone-->

RANZIG - Stadtfest Issum - YouTube

Right now I'm heading to Behringer R&D...sadly, I have to bring the X32Rack back.
Deep mourning...

Christian

Attachments

• DSC_0071.JPG
    DSC_0071.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0074-001.JPG
    DSC_0074-001.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1425.JPG
    IMG_1425.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 1
Re: usb power

Just wondering if anyone has been successful in getting an ipod to charge via the x32 usb socket?
Apparently some people have been running external hard drives, so it would seem there is power on the socket. I've had no luck with the ipod charging though.
Darren

Even when using a PC, I've found that the on-board USB sockets don't provide enough amperage to power an iPod/iPad.
There are hacks for Asus mobos to increase the power output of the USB sockets.
I think the USB spec allows for up to 500mA from the socket, iirc. The iPod/iPad needs around 2000mA.
It's obvious that the X32 was not designed with charging devices, or providing power to specific devices in the mind of Behringers engineers.

It looks like the X32 sockets don't provide enough juice to power Apple stuff.
How I got around this was to buy one of these for my X32 case:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006HFME4M/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OK, so I'm UK based and you aren't, but there must be something similar available where you are.
The two USB sockets allow me to charge up an MP3 player and my iPad without preventing me from using the onboard socket for recording from the desk.
I now get band members asking me to charge their iPhones from FOH.
I may start charging for this, along with batteries, drum keys, etc. It's just another service I provide.

YMMV, but in my experience I only use the onboard USB socket on the desk for recording and scene storage.
Anything else (charging, etc), I buy something specific to that task.

HTH.

Karl.

The two USB sockets allow me to charge up an MP3 player and my iPad without preventing me from using the onboard socket for recording from the desk.
I now get band members asking me to charge their iPhones from FOH.
HTH.

Karl.

I'm going to build an outlet box around one of these for gigging....

Attachments

• leviton.JPG
    leviton.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1
Re: I am at the end of my patience !

Dear colleges
Meanwhile I can report that the engl. support agreed to swap my desk. I will ship it back to England and in return I will get an replacement one. As I am out on tour for the whole week it will take ´till monday next week before I can pass it over to DHL. ( If I would be at home pick-up could be already tomorrow) As much annoying the whole issue was so far, the fast action from the support team earns applause!!! They really try to be on top of it!
I will report the hopefully lucky end.
kind regards, Till

A powered usb hub with specs to handle an iPad makes a lot of sense. One will have the power for charging, and one will not be stuck when it is time to try to record to iPad, or when connecting a power-hungry usb hard disk to the x32.

Then there is the obvious UPS with USB charging power outlets, but for some strange reason that product doesn't exist :uhoh:

True, but when it comes down to it, the USB slot on the X32 looks like it was designed with a primary (recording/data transfer) and a secondary (WAV playback) purpose in mind. Charging things would be way down the list. That is, if it made the list.
Most of the USB HD drives I've seen have two USB connectors on them to draw twice the power.
The X32 only has one connector of that type. Does that mean that it's faulty or that it wasn't designed to do that?

Has anyone tried charging an iPad from an LS9?

I don't seem to be able to get my USB mouse or USB keyboard to work when I plug them into my X32?
And don't get me started about my Logitech Wingman joystick.

Desk fault or user expectations issue?

True, but when it comes down to it, the USB slot on the X32 looks like it was designed with a primary (recording/data transfer) and a secondary (WAV playback) purpose in mind. Charging things would be way down the list. That is, if it made the list.
Most of the USB HD drives I've seen have two USB connectors on them to draw twice the power.
The X32 only has one connector of that type. Does that mean that it's faulty or that it wasn't designed to do that?

Has anyone tried charging an iPad from an LS9?

I don't seem to be able to get my USB mouse or USB keyboard to work when I plug them into my X32?
And don't get me started about my Logitech Wingman joystick.

Desk fault or user expectations issue?
USB specifications only state 500miliamps for power. HDD's and larger mobile devices require more than 500miAmps for charging, sometimes over 1 amp even. HDD's will sometimes require a Y cable so that it can use the power from two USB ports, some computers provision for devices that require more amperage, but usually not on all ports.

The X32, and other USB ports that don't recharge an ipad, are not malfunctioning, they're just adhering to the standard. While it'd be convenient to use the X32's port, why not just use the supplied AC adapter with the ipad? Or get something like this:
Amazon.com: BESTEK 1875W USB Wall Charging Station & outlet splitter wall socket ac supply power adapter wall plug plate wall mounted usb surge protector strip power dock charger ac adapter home charger power switch usb charger cell phone ipod charge

X32 Slave mode would be a cool feature

I'm planning to implement the X32 system with one board as a monitor console and one as the mains console, using the monitor board as a digital split. This requires sending the audio signal down the AES50 cable and back. Then I noticed the 'remote' button on the board. This allows the X32 to remotely control a DAW. It would make things way easier if I could make that button remote control the X32 that is on stage instead of routing all of the audio through AES50.

Right now, you could achieve something similar by using the X32 edit interface on a computer, so why can't you use a second console as a slave to the first? That way, all of the audio would stay on stage. Adjustments could be made from either console for monitors or for the main mix. If the cat 5 cable were damaged, the show would still go on without interruption.

If this feature existed, it would be incredible!

Even when using a PC, I've found that the on-board USB sockets don't provide enough amperage to power an iPod/iPad.
There are hacks for Asus mobos to increase the power output of the USB sockets.
I think the USB spec allows for up to 500mA from the socket, iirc. The iPod/iPad needs around 2000mA.
It's obvious that the X32 was not designed with charging devices, or providing power to specific devices in the mind of Behringers engineers.

It looks like the X32 sockets don't provide enough juice to power Apple stuff.
How I got around this was to buy one of these for my X32 case:

Masterplug SRGDU62PB USB Charging Surge Protected 2m Extension Lead Power Block with 6 Sockets: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

OK, so I'm UK based and you aren't, but there must be something similar available where you are...

Here's one that works in the US

For only $12.96 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4 Port USB Wall Charger 4.2A for Apple and Android - Black

As near as I can tell, it's a two-device-at-a-time thing, but it's working for me.

changing one parameter through all scenes??

Quick Q, although I think I know the answer to this.

Is there a way to apply a change to a scene through all, or at least all following scenes??

Scenario, one I just done (doh)

I have a send set as a recording out feed for the video cameras, I usually have a couple of stage mics set as prefade, and radiomics as post.
I forgot to change the radiomics to post, and did our 1st tech on Sunday, so now have 60 scenes for the show.
I need to change all 12 mics to post fade send, so can I change this on one scene, and get the desk to dapply the same change thorughout, or do i need to lead each scene individually and make the change?
If the latter, is there a way of changing from pre to post on all 12 channels at once??

going to give the HDD a try on wednesday when I'm down there, and see what happens.

lightning strike

I was gone on a business trip to Chicago last week only to come back and find out yesterday that lightning struck our building and took out our S-16's.. Aaron was able to run the service thru all wireless mics kind of "unplugged" ... more details as I can get them... I know the S-16's were on, just wouldn't pass any signal... took out half of our lights, too...

Had an intensive X32 weekend:)
Three gigs on three days. Yesterday was easy going (BBQ Championship with one small band and just basic moderation stuff...took no pictures of that). Last Friday I did a more unusual gig. I did sound for an avantgarde/new music experimental ensemble. Unusual Band line up: Drums, vibraphone, marimbas, gtr, trumpet, bass clarinette, electric fiddle, accordion, tons of keyboards, sopran vocals and one narrator. Needed all inputs of the X32 and all outputs. Nine ways monitor, PA system was done in quadrophonie and an additional feed to a second room with a split of the video as well. The show was recorded on a MBP with Nuendo Live. We had intensive rehearsals, and most of the show was done with scenes. According to the concept of the show, the FoH (sound/light/video) was part of the gig. That's why we placed the desks so close to the stage and donned the same cloth as the musicians. All musicians are top notch professionals, so doing sound was acutally quite easy. What an awesome experience and change to the usual Top40 business:)

Saturday I was going back to normal. Small city festival, straight cover rockband. The band was mixed on a X32Rack - really love that thing. So small, yet so powerfull.
Here's a short video from my iPhone-->

RANZIG - Stadtfest Issum - YouTube

Right now I'm heading to Behringer R&D...sadly, I have to bring the X32Rack back.
Deep mourning...

Christian

Christian,

How comfortable were you using just the X32 Rack and a remote mix solution? I currently have a MixWiz and am seriously considering moving to the X32 Rack, but part of me is nervous about losing my faders ;)

Thanks!

Re: lightning strike

I was gone on a business trip to Chicago last week only to come back and find out yesterday that lightning struck our building and took out our S-16's.. Aaron was able to run the service thru all wireless mics kind of "unplugged" ... more details as I can get them... I know the S-16's were on, just wouldn't pass any signal... took out half of our lights, too...

Was there any overvoltage protection for the S16s?

Re: changing one parameter through all scenes??

I need to change all 12 mics to post fade send, so can I change this on one scene, and get the desk to dapply the same change thorughout, or do i need to lead each scene individually and make the change?
If the latter, is there a way of changing from pre to post on all 12 channels at once??

Assuming that your (relative) send level can stay the same for all scenes, what you can do is to select parameter safe for the sends in question ( I guess you're sending to one or two buses) ie. cross off Mix 1 sends and Mix 2 sends if those are the buses in question. Then make the change in the first scene, save this scene (remember that the scene selector will jump to the next scene, so be careful to move the selection back to the active scene before saving). You can change this behaviour in setup-global-Scene go next, it is probably a good idea for this exercise.
When you go to the next scene and load it, the sends for the selected buses will remain unchanged from the previous scene. You can now save that scene and move to the next and repeat 60 times.
This will of course leave the sends for those buses on all channels to the same setting as in your first scene, also the ones you have no need to change, so hopefully all the sends remain unchanged trough all the scenes.
Once the process is finished, turn the parameter safes off and turn your Scene Go Next back on.

Preferably you should do this from a backup show on the XControl,

Christian,

How comfortable were you using just the X32 Rack and a remote mix solution? I currently have a MixWiz and am seriously considering moving to the X32 Rack, but part of me is nervous about losing my faders ;)

Thanks!

Scott,
I brought the X32Rack back to Behringer R&D yesterday and I saw something really cool. There is a new firmware on its way, that allows you to hook up a fader pack (like the BCF2000 or a Mackie controller) via Midi to the X32-EDIT software! So you will be able to hook up some faders to the X32Rack and Core version in the near future.
Christian