X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Networking Cards

I hope that X32 via AES50 to the DN9650 as a bridge to Madi, Dante, A-Net, CobraNet, Digigram Ethersound will provide more channels than 32x32, I hope it will be 48x38 out/in (all channels plus auxes)

I hope that X32 via AES50 to the DN9650 as a bridge to Madi, Dante, A-Net, CobraNet, Digigram Ethersound will provide more channels than 32x32, I hope it will be 48x38 out/in (all channels plus auxes)

The card slot bus architecture is 32x32 and cannot be changed, much like the 16x16 used by Yamaha.

In this case it's a connection to aes50, not with a card slot interface.

Yes, you and Tim are right. I have seen X32 diagrams, and it is as both of you said. But I/O Patch and DSP patch can switch more.
So for recording one of card type and for using multirack on all channels plus 6 busses I will wait for aes50 and new release of software for DN9650. We will see.

I guess that the Klark will support the full 48 channels bidirectionally on one AES50, allthough I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.
Worst case scenario is that it would take both AES50A and -B to get 48 channels into the 9650 and some creative routing via the third AES50 on the 9650 to compensate for the loss of channels, but I doubt that they'll upgrade the DN9650 firmware without fully supporting the 44.1/48kHz protocol

X32 XLR Output Electrical Question

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I have a question about the X32 XLR outputs. I will soon be in need of driving the individual front aux inputs on an Alesis MultiMix 6 Cue headphone amp from six bus outputs on the X32, but those inputs are apparently 1/4" TRS stereo unbalanced.

I only need mono, so I'm guessing I just need XLRF to 1/4" TS unbalanced mono (which would then hit both inputs and give me dual-mono), but I have read that when connecting some types of balanced output to an unbalanced input you need to leave Pin 3 of the XLR end floating, and with other types you need to tie it to ground.

Does anyone know the X32's preference? I don't want to blow anything up... :(

Thanks in advance.

BCF Remote Control Implementation

My second question...

There was discussion of how the latest X32-Edit 1.20 can be used with a BCF2000 control surface. Is there any official documentation available on exactly what maps to what, please? I don't have a BCF2000 yet, but will be buying one if I can be sure it'll work how I would want it to.

At the very least, I would need the physical faders to control the 8 DCA faders, ideally with MUTE buttons too.

I would like this to be configurable such that I could still switch to the other banks of those virtual faders on the computer, to control buses and matrices, while the physical faders were still on the DCAs (i.e. the physical faders do NOT switch with the X32-Edit bank buttons).

What about the other row of buttons and the knobs, and the other four soft buttons? What can they be made to do?

Thanks in advance.

Re: X32 XLR Output Electrical Question

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I have a question about the X32 XLR outputs. I will soon be in need of driving the individual front aux inputs on an Alesis MultiMix 6 Cue headphone amp from six bus outputs on the X32, but those inputs are apparently 1/4" TRS stereo unbalanced.

If they are stereo unbalanced, and you want to drive them mono, then you have to connect the tip to the ring, and connect this to pin 2 of the xlr. pin 3 of the xlr should be connected to ground/shield, also pin 1 has to connect to the shield.

If you want to drive them stereo, then you have to make a Y cable, with the tip of the TRS to pin 2 of a xlr, and the ring of the TRS to a second xlr pin 2.

In this case it's a connection to aes50, not with a card slot interface.

Correct, but if you are depending on any part of the console to provide additional routing or i/o, you're stuck at 32x32.

What I find interesting is that almost every digital audio transport technology ends up creating more expense the the X32 represents.

Correct, but if you are depending on any part of the console to provide additional routing or i/o, you're stuck at 32x32.

What I find interesting is that almost every digital audio transport technology ends up creating more expense the the X32 represents.

I hope it will not be a case here via AES50. Because in HOME routing we could setup AUXes: AES50 1-6, and Channels 1-32: AES50 9-40. As I mentioned above, I/O Patch (40 channels) and DSP patch can switch more. Similar is valid for AES50 A or B. We will see. I hope there will not be limitation to 32 channels via one AES50 on 48kHz.

Last edited:
Re: BCF Remote Control Implementation

My second question...

There was discussion of how the latest X32-Edit 1.20 can be used with a BCF2000 control surface. Is there any official documentation available on exactly what maps to what, please? I don't have a BCF2000 yet, but will be buying one if I can be sure it'll work how I would want it to.

At the very least, I would need the physical faders to control the 8 DCA faders, ideally with MUTE buttons too.

I would like this to be configurable such that I could still switch to the other banks of those virtual faders on the computer, to control buses and matrices, while the physical faders were still on the DCAs (i.e. the physical faders do NOT switch with the X32-Edit bank buttons).

What about the other row of buttons and the knobs, and the other four soft buttons? What can they be made to do?

Thanks in advance.

I purchased a BCF2000 to use with X32-Edit 1.20, and it works pretty well. You can scroll through channels and banks, control EQ, gain, pan and access various other functions. I ended up returning it, as there is no display, so you can't tell which bank or set of channels are selected for control. I found a used Mackie Controller on Craigslist for $250. There's a pdf of the X32-Edit Version 1.2 MCU Emulation Layout that you can download form the same page you downloaded X32-Edit 1.20 (MUSIC Group: Temporary Downloads Page) that shows all the controls on the Mackie and their functions. It just seems strange to control a Behringer X32 with a Mackie controller. I'd like to see Behringer come out with something like the Avid Artist Mix, cause all I really want are the faders and one rotary for gain/eq.

Tip about FX in monitors

Hey everyone, I wanted to share a tip I just figured out about putting FX into monitors.

Now I agree with most that putting FX into monitors is simply a bad idea. It can easily throw off pitch and timing. I always urge my clients not to have it. Most end up taking my word for it, so it hasn't been much of an issue. However, I've been working with a specific client recently who has always had just a touch of reverb in his wedge, and refuses to work any other way.

The problem I ran into was the fact that by default, the FX returns sends are all set to post fader. At this particular gig a few weeks ago, I was using the reverb very dynamically for different parts of their songs, bringing the return up and down in the LR via a DCA. At set break, my client complained that his FX level was constantly changing in his wedge and was confusing him. (I did quickly throw out the, "and that's why it's not a good idea there guy-man") but this dude is set in his ways.

So I thought about a different way to go about it. First I considered simply changing the sends from the return to Pre-Fader. However, the vocal channel send would still be post-fader, so if I manipulated his channel, it would still change his wedge. What I ended up doing was changing the channels sends going to FX 1 and 2 to Pre-Fader, and keeping the returns in Post-Fader. I then dedicated FX slot 1 (simply didn't use 2) as a reverb for his monitor. Once I set how much dry signal he had, I then sent a small amount of reverb via the return fader. Now whatever I would do to either channel fader, or FX 3 + 4 (now only used for LR) would not effect his monitor. He was super happy with the second set and said the problem was completely fixed.

Re: Tip about FX in monitors

[h=2]X32-Q 1.2 with IPAD 3[/h]
X32-Q on my iPad3 can not see my router/X32

With X32-Mix does it all work fine.

What am I doing wrong?
confused.png

What I ended up doing was changing the channels sends going to FX 1 and 2 to Pre-Fader, and keeping the returns in Post-Fader. I then dedicated FX slot 1 (simply didn't use 2) as a reverb for his monitor. Once I set how much dry signal he had, I then sent a small amount of reverb via the return fader. Now whatever I would do to either channel fader, or FX 3 + 4 (now only used for LR) would not effect his monitor. He was super happy with the second set and said the problem was completely fixed.
A more conventional "fix" is to split the "money channel" to two input channels and use one for monitors and one for FOH. This also allows you to independently EQ it in the monitors and FOH so any tweaks to the FOH EQ doesn't mess with his monitor(s) 8)~:cool:~:cool:.

Router problem

X32-Q 1.2 with IPAD 3
X32-Q on my iPad3 can not see my router/X32

With X32-Mix does it all work fine.

What am I doing wrong?
confused.png

Hello

First you have to go to your iPad´s "Settings" or "System Preferences" - mine works in finnish so I am not sure for proper english terms - anyway the app with sprocket wheels...
There you select Wi-Fi - switch it ON - choose the right network - this is your router.
Once you are connected into your router go to your X32-Q and set things there

BUT - why on earth do you wish to use X32-Q instead of X32-MIX iPad app ?

X32-Q gives you very limited control and X32-MIX gives you total control

There is also free X32 quick-manual in App Store - allways with your iPad to get quick references.

Nuuska

What I ended up doing was changing the channels sends going to FX 1 and 2 to Pre-Fader, and keeping the returns in Post-Fader. I then dedicated FX slot 1 (simply didn't use 2) as a reverb for his monitor. Once I set how much dry signal he had, I then sent a small amount of reverb via the return fader. Now whatever I would do to either channel fader, or FX 3 + 4 (now only used for LR) would not effect his monitor. He was super happy with the second set and said the problem was completely fixed.

I am using two X32s. One for Monitor Mix and one for FOH. If they need I will use other effects as well.

Just confirmed the x32-rack is starting to go to the retail outlets. Should be just a few days. 340 units in the initial batch. Hope mine is one of them.

X32 November Webinars

Dear Guys,

We have a number of X32 related webinars coming up in November.

Hope you can make it!

X32 - House of Worship - How to Layout Your Console Inputs, Outputs, Buses and Matrix Mixes
Join us for a Webinar on October 29

Space is limited.
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/480683087
In this webinar we will go over a general setup of the X32 console for a House of Worship and Praise Team layout. We will look at grouping our inputs, routing output signals and setting up Presets on in the Preset Libraries. We highly recommend that you download the free X32-Edit app from the X32
CORE product page at BEHRINGER.com, so you can follow along on your
Mac, Windows, or Linux PC.
Title: X32 - House of Worship - How to Layout Your Console Inputs, Outputs, Buses and Matrix Mixes
Date: Tuesday, October 29, 2013
Time: 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM PDT

X32 RACK
Join us for a Webinar on October 31

Space is limited.
https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/247378415
In this webinar we will go over the recently released X32 RACK in detail. We will show how to setup the X32 RACK and operate it from the screen and front panel controls, and then go over the use of the free X32-Edit and X32-Mix apps for a more enjoyable mixing experience. Specific applications for the X32 RACK will also be covered. We highly recommend you download the free X32-Edit app from the X32 RACK product page at BEHRINGER.com, so you can follow along on your Mac, Windows, or Linux PC.
Title: X32 RACK
Date: Thursday, October 31, 2013
Time: 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM PDT

X32 CORE
Join us for a Webinar on November 7

Space is limited.
https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/673590999
In this webinar we will go over the recently released X32 CORE in detail. We will discuss how to use the controls on the front panel to setup the X32 CORE to connect with the free X32-Edit and X32-Mix apps, and how to use these apps to fully control the console. We will also cover how to take advantage of the on-board controls on the X32 CORE, including its full monitoring and talkback section. Specific applications for the X32 CORE will also be discussed. We highly recommend that you download the free X32-Edit app from the X32 CORE product page at BEHRINGER.com, so you can follow along on your Mac, Windows, or Linux PC.
Title: X32 CORE
Date: Thursday, November 7, 2013
Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM PST

X32 RACK for House of Worship
Join us for a Webinar on November 13

Space is limited.
https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/787436039
In this webinar we will go over the recently released X32 RACK in
detail. We will show how to setup the X32 RACK and operate it from the screen and front panel controls, and then go over the use of the free X32-Edit and X32-Mix apps for a more enjoyable mixing experience. Specific applications for the X32 RACK will also be covered for implementation into your House of Worship. We highly recommend you download the free X32-Edit app from the X32 RACK product page at BEHRINGER.com, so you can follow along on your Mac, Windows, or Linux PC.
Title: X32 RACK for House of Worship
Date: Wednesday, November 13, 2013
Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM PST