X32 Discussion

Re: iPad App problems / X32Core

We received and sold an X32 a week and a half ago, and the date code on the box was 1211, which was the same date code for the batch we got in Jan/Feb. My guess is they got a ton all at once and are still selling them off. It had 1.08 on it.

FWIW.
Thank you Dan that answers my concerns. Where however do I find the download code for traction? Is it part of the registration process? I also have V1.08 but that's not a problem. I do know that some change was made to units after March of 2013 regarding boot/firmware update as stated in the firmware update instructions. Changes are usually made for a reason.

Hey guys,

Allow me to clarify a few things:

There is no warranty card or voucher for Tracktion included in any of our products, as all these are online processes.

As for the “dead” fader issue, this is likely an issue where the belt wheel has moved up on the motor shaft. This can be easily fixed by putting the belt wheel back in place and adding a drop of glue. After the initial production lot in the middle of 2012, all faders are now produced in that particular manner and therefore this issue cannot happen again.

As for the sticky buttons, this also relates to a very early production lot where cleaning solvent was applied in the last stage before packing. However, cleaning the buttons usually resolves that matter.

These cases are extremely rare and easy to fix, hence we don’t see the need for a service notice.

Please let me know if I can further help.

Thanks Joe on with the QC test on my part to familiarize myself with the X32 and S16 box. I have a ton of gear from Behringer and warranty cards were included early on which I promptly forgot to fill out.. Then I go back a ways. My only failure out of a rough 50+ products was a EC8000 mic which was promptly replaced. No complaints here.

I also have V1.08 but that's not a problem. I do know that some change was made to units after March of 2013 regarding boot/firmware update as stated in the firmware update instructions. Changes are usually made for a reason.

Hi William,

There are MANY more features in 1.15 than in 1.08, and it is both well worth the free upgrade and super easy to do. And I don't think the current XControl iPad app or whatever it's called now will work with 1.08, and if it did you'd get endless reminders that you are out of date. If you're planning to use that super useful product feature.

Not sure what you mean by the "change to units"; I'm not aware of anything other than the software/firmware upgrades.

Have fun,
Dan

Re: X32Edit 1.2 Linux BUG

I couldn't get the Linux one to run at all. It wouldn't run in either Ubuntu 12.04 or CentOS 6.4 (both 64-bit VMs), even after I installed the 32-bit compatibility libraries. I then tried 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04 on an old Dell Latitude D610 (2005-ish Celeron) and it crashed immediately with "Illegal Instruction". GDB showed the crash as somewhere in the UI code for a fader widget.

I'm back to running it on my MacBook Air 11, and hoping I never need to drag the faders to the bottom.

Runs fine in Mavericks, though. As do Reaper and Audacity. A little worried by the guy who's getting clicks on FireWire recordings, though, since I upgraded my other MacBook as well, and will be needing to record a show with it in a couple of months... :|

Hmm - apart from the bug I mentioned, it's running OK for me on Ubuntu 12.04LTS 32bit native on i386 with 4Gb. The windoze version also runs fine on a virtual XP machine under Virtualbox on the same platform. There were a couple of dependent libraries that I had to install in Ubuntu, if I remember correctly.

Hey guys,

As for the sticky buttons, this also relates to a very early production lot where cleaning solvent was applied in the last stage before packing. However, cleaning the buttons usually resolves that matter.

Please let me know if I can further help.

hi Joe,
What do you recommend cleaning the buttons with - can this be done without opening up the unit.
I have a couple that seem a little "sticky" on occassions especially on first press in a session - but not to the extent that I would want to send it to a care centre.

Rack+S16 (CAT5) FOH X32

I'm an X32 owner, though I don't use it as much as I want because I use other gear, I was wondering if you "experts" could pitch in this one...

Could I use a Rack and a S16 as a combo on stage to run monitors and then feed those channels to a FOH X32 via CAT5??? I'm almost sure this can be done.... Can I control the preamps of the Rack and S16 from the FOH X32??? And can I send the main outputs from the FOH X32 to the S16 ??? My main idea is to use only CAT5 between the Rack and the FOH X32.... Any ideas ????

Thanks guys !

Re: Rack+S16 (CAT5) FOH X32

Could I use a Rack and a S16 as a combo on stage to run monitors and then feed those channels to a FOH X32 via CAT5??? !

Yes

Can I control the preamps of the Rack and S16 from the FOH X32???!

I don't THINK so, but if you had it hooked up wirelessly to the x-32 edit software, you could control the whole X32rack and all the functions

And can I send the main outputs from the FOH X32 to the S16 ???

yes...

youtube is your friend....

Behringer X32 as a Monitor, and FOH Setup - YouTube

Replace regular monitor console X32 with x32rack, and s-16....

Is it necessary to constantly upgrade the OS? I learned long ago in my studio business that is was never good to be an early adopter of any updates when consistancy and clients projects were in the loop.

This is absolutely true, and in hindsight I probably should have waited a while, and if I'd seen Luigi's post beforehand, I certainly would have. On the other hand, this is my personal laptop which I use for a ton of other stuff for the other 99% of the year, and one doesn't expect Apple to break something like FireWire in what should now be a very mature OS... :(

Luigi, I'd be interested to know what sort of Mac you have. Mine's a 2010 MacBook Pro 13 with built-in FireWire 800. Is yours native FireWire too, or are you using the Thunderbolt adaptor?

I don't THINK so, but if you had it hooked up wirelessly to the x-32 edit software, you could control the whole X32rack and all the functions

Our forum colleague Dan Mortensen wrote up a nice how-to in the Behringer forum to do precisely what you describe. Just substitute your X32 Rack for the Monitor X32 desk he references in his write-up....

Linking 2 X32's for Monitor and FOH through the S16 stagebox

I do hope this helps....

Don

PS - certainly not my intention to belittle or minimize Shane's response....

Last edited:

Hi guys. Could use some advice. Frankly I have never used a mixing console as advanced as the X32 before. My past experience was always with analog equipment. At any rate, I am having trouble setting up a general reverb for vocals that I like. There are just too many choices and too many parameters :) I am looking for advice to get a good starting point. I know everyone's tastes are different and different types of vocals will need different types of reverb. But I'm going around in circles and need some advice on a good starting point. I can play with it from there. Specifically which type of reverb and what type of general settings within that reverb type.

Thanks for any suggestions. I know I have to use my ears to determine what sounds good but while I'm doing that I would like to have something to configure that will at least make my band rehearsal sound a little better than I have now.

The band does rock, R&B type stuff. Nothing too hard, nothing too soft :)

Hi guys. Could use some advice. Frankly I have never used a mixing console as advanced as the X32 before. My past experience was always with analog equipment. At any rate, I am having trouble setting up a general reverb for vocals that I like. There are just too many choices and too many parameters :) I am looking for advice to get a good starting point. I know everyone's tastes are different and different types of vocals will need different types of reverb. But I'm going around in circles and need some advice on a good starting point. I can play with it from there. Specifically which type of reverb and what type of general settings within that reverb type.

Thanks for any suggestions. I know I have to use my ears to determine what sounds good but while I'm doing that I would like to have something to configure that will at least make my band rehearsal sound a little better than I have now.

Hi Robert,

I am also very interested in efx presets that people are using. I suppose I could look at some of the TC Electronic M-OneXL presets I like and copy some of those as a starting point. If you have some favorite external reverbs, you might try this in the absence of any responses to this post ;)

At the church, we use a nice plate, a vintage hall, and delay, all set up on DCA's. They are also set up on the assignable buttons for quick parameter adustments, as well as tap for the delay. With the DCA's, you can mix and match very easily to get what you are looking for.

The plate is set up so that it adds a little "shimmer" to the vocals. The hall has most of the highs pulled out and mostly lower end. You can get many effects from mixing these two plus adding delay in different increments (1/1, 1/2, 2/3, etc.) and "taps" for tempo...

Last edited:

At the church, we use a nice plate, a vintage hall, and delay, all set up on DCA's. They are also set up on the assignable buttons for quick parameter adustments, as well as tap for the delay. With the DCA's, you can mix and match very easily to get what you are looking for.

The plate is set up so that it adds a little "shimmer" to the vocals. The hall has most of the highs pulled out and mostly lower end. You can get many effects from mixing these two plus adding delay in different increments (1/1, 1/2, 2/3, etc.) and "taps" for tempo...

We use plate and stereo delay on vocals, and lately I have put the vintage verb on snare. We dont add much to the mix tho as the room is already a bit lively.

A plate with about 1.8 to 2.5 sec decay and a predelay of about 50-100 ms for the vocals. I also use a delay for the vocals.
In addition I use a room or chamber like reverb for instruments. A proper usage brings more depth to tge mix. For special purpose a snare plate is also possible.
But all depends on the kind of music.

X32-Edit Connection/Sync Reliability?

So I've had my X32 for about six months, and used it on three musical theatre productions where the sound engineer was actually sat at the mixer. I also had it connected to a private router and sometimes had either two laptops, or one laptop and an iPad connected over WiFi.

Once or twice a night, we'd have a situation where some controls (usually "one shot" toggle button controls, like Mutes) were out of sync on X32-Edit on the laptop, thus causing frantic waving from the Sound Designer to the mixer guy when a vocal channel appeared to be un-muted that shouldn't be. This appeared to be limited to X32-Edit on the laptop. I never noticed that X32-Mix on the iPad was out of sync.

I ask this, because I am about to do a show where the X32 will be backstage, and I will be mixing remotely using X32-Edit (on a MacBook) and a BCF2000 only. Since it's vocal mixing (six wireless mics for musical theatre), I can't afford anything to go out of sync. I do plan to have a wired connection (a long run of Cat5 from the mix position to the X32 and router backstage) which will hopefully be more reliable than WiFi, but even so.

I realize that OSC is a UDP-based "fire and forget" protocol, so I can see how some commands (particularly one-shot commands, rather than say one fader update in a string of updates while a fader is being moved) might get lost if packets are being lost on the network, but surely this mechanism wouldn't be very useful if it was significantly unreliable?

So... is anyone having trouble with this sort of thing? Has it perhaps improved in the latest versions of the mixer firmware and computer software (I was running 1.13 on the mixer, and whatever version of the apps were current in August).

OSC Control of USB Player?

So the current (old) OSC Protocol Document only shows commands to control the gain and autoplay parameters of the USB Player.

I believe that the remote apps are now able to control the USB Player, so there must have been additional OSC commands implemented for this? Is there any updated documentation, to save me from having to break out a Network Sniffer? :)

I would like to be able to remotely play a particular track (and ideally have it stop automatically at the end of that track, rather than moving on to the next one) to facilitate playback of sound effects with no additional hardware when controlling the mixer remotely (see my previous post).

Ready for some really strange "space-avant-garde-elektro-arty-jazz stuff"?

Did a not so common gig some months ago. Thought, I could share some videos here.
This was..well...a "not so common gig" but it was really fun to do. I just used the X32Console for the job and had a blast!
Some specs:

+ 34 Inputs used
+ 8 Monitor cues
+ quadrophonic mix (L/R + a second L/R PA system flown at the back of the venue for FX Sounds)
+ stereo Matrixmix was send wirelessly to a second hall
+ recorded 32tracks on a MacBook + Nuendo live
+ Lighting guy and myself became a part of the show, and the conductor liked the idea, that we should build our FoH in front of the stage and we had to wear the same white work coats as the ensemble:)

Lots of SDC mikes were used, for that kind of high dynamic music I used the AES/EBU out and connected it with the AES/EBU input of the PA controller. An impressive pristine sound.
Nice relief to the common Top40-Coverband stuff, that I mostly do over the year.

I. Prolog - _der_kapuvka & das kosmodrom-orchester bei der Ensemblia 2013 - YouTube

II. Internationales geophysikalisches Jahr _der_kapuka & das kosmodrom-orchester Ensemblia 2013 - YouTube

Christian

Re: X32 Discussion

Hi. I have a problem with X32. Two concerts there were big troubles. X32 low noise shot and at once was distributed are strong noise, as pink noise. The master switched off, on, all calmed down. And so on two times approximately for eight business hours. After the first such case at two concerts everything is normal, then again repeated. What could be the problem?
Today, at home testing, mixer noise again. There were two times. Sound stopped after 10 seconds. I noticed that the signal coming out of the Fx return 1L and 1R channel. It comes from the signal Fx1 send a Plate Reverb effect. But from there the signal not was. Maybe the same effect generates a signal?