X32 Discussion

random ios app crashes and need for ups on s16's

Just wondering if anyone else has random ios app crashes on the latest app version and x32 firmware, dual band netgear router running 5ghz and running the latest 5.x version of ios on an ipad2. I must admit that the app does pop back up really quick... Usually it kicks out 2 - 4 times per show. I don't notice too much slowing down from lag or traffic from other phones due to the 5ghz band.

- noticed the other day at a gig, a random very short burst of noise out of the system. It was a different house rig than I usually use, it could have been the rigs mediamatrix running without a ups (doubt it), the only thing is that I found the second s16 used for additional inputs only, was accidentally not hooked to the ups. Never had a glitch before this. Are you guys finding the need for a ups on the S16's? That's what I've been doing all along in the past, just wondering if that's why things have been so stable. Running the same 250' shielded cat-6 with metalized ends all along.

-anyone else want the mutes always accessable when adjusting eq and such on the app? There's space on the top left where the "x" is... I'm getting a bit tired of missing mute cues when messing with tone and stuff...

Last edited:
Re: random ios app crashes and need for ups on s16's

In general I've had several crashes with many apps since upgrading to ios7. Even the os restart at least once a week.

Never had such issues with ios6... I think that ios7 has some quirks to fix.

Just wondering if anyone else has random ios app crashes on the latest app version and x32 firmware, dual band netgear router running 5ghz and running the latest 5.x version of ios on an ipad2. I must admit that the app does pop back up really quick... Usually it kicks out 2 - 4 times per show. I don't notice too much slowing down from lag or traffic from other phones due to the 5ghz band.

- noticed the other day at a gig, a random very short burst of noise out of the system. It was a different house rig than I usually use, it could have been the rigs mediamatrix running without a ups (doubt it), the only thing is that I found the second s16 used for additional inputs only, was accidentally not hooked to the ups. Never had a glitch before this. Are you guys finding the need for a ups on the S16's? That's what I've been doing all along in the past, just wondering if that's why things have been so stable. Running the same 250' shielded cat-6 with metalized ends all along.

-anyone else want the mutes always accessable when adjusting eq and such on the app? There's space on the top left where the "x" is... I'm getting a bit tired of missing mute cues when messing with tone and stuff...

Haven't updated the iPads yet, no crashes like you are reporting. Freezes but not crashes. Bummer if the update is causing crashes.

Short noise burst: Christian reported in another forum that using shielded CAT with metalized ends but no Ethercons is a cause for Brian Wynn's demonstration that static discharge onto the console/S16 will cause loss of sync. Possibly that is what you experienced. You should put Ethercons on your cable regardless.

Thanks guys, it seems wierd that just adding the ethercon shell can fix that, never had a glitch over the 30-40 shows I've done with it before. I'll bet it was that second s16 that was not on the ups. My main question was if most s16 users put them on another ups or run them without. It seems things run smoother and glitch free with the s16's on a nice ups. I've found it seems to be that way for all the x32/p16 installs I've done.

I was walking in the room with the ipad when the quick glitch happend and the band was practicing on a tiled floor (no static).

The reference to the latest ios 5.x did not mean i was running ios 7 (ios 7.0.4) - I'm still running ios 5 ( just the latest version before 6.x). Actually now that ios 7 has been jailbroken (as of christmas eve) I'll update to that asap!

Has anyone else seen app crashes on ios7 or reboots like Robert had mentioned?

Haven't updated the iPads yet, no crashes like you are reporting. Freezes but not crashes. Bummer if the update is causing crashes.

Short noise burst: Christian reported in another forum that using shielded CAT with metalized ends but no Ethercons is a cause for Brian Wynn's demonstration that static discharge onto the console/S16 will cause loss of sync. Possibly that is what you experienced. You should put Ethercons on your cable regardless.

Last edited:
X32 full + S16 + X32 rack (as a S16)

I just tested a combo of X32 full, 1x S16 and a X32 rack as a second S16.

I did connect the S16 straight to the X32 full size, so I can control the gains from the X32 full size.
The rack is connected to the S16.
On the rack I want to connect the less important inputs (gain related) like keyboards, dj input etc.
That way I have enough inputs available.

I did want to mirror the outputs (out1-8) also on the X32 rack.
But that wasn't easy because the analog outputs can't be feed from the AES50 inputs.
So I selected the right channels I wanted to the outputs as inputs to the console, and then selected dir outputs in the analog out tab, to reduce risk of error I did select them all pre eq.

As the rack doesn't do anything else, I don't have problems with the 8 input channels it does take. But what about latency? I think I did add more latency because of the extra processing on these inputs. Is this correct?

Re: X32 full + S16 + X32 rack (as a S16)

I just tested a combo of X32 full, 1x S16 and a X32 rack as a second S16.

SNIP

As the rack doesn't do anything else, I don't have problems with the 8 input channels it does take. But what about latency? I think I did add more latency because of the extra processing on these inputs. Is this correct?

You added something like 1.4ms latency to those 8 inputs, and an extra A/D/A conversion. Not much of an issue, I think.

It would be interesting to do a bunch of A/D/A conversions in series to see when it becomes audible. I feel like more than two sounds funny, but have no proof.

That's what I thought. Certainly no ad/da conversion.
I'm just back from the gig, and it did work great.
75 meter cat5 on a spoon to the s16, short cat5 to the rack. No glitch.

Sorry, I thought you were using the Rack as an outboard mixer, with some inputs going into the actual X32 in order to get more than 32 inputs.

Misreading late at night.

In that case, why would there be any latency at all beyond whatever's in the X32? Rereading what you wrote, the "extra processing" threw me. What extra processing? You were using the Rack for its inputs, not for its processing.

Last edited:

Sorry, I thought you were using the Rack as an outboard mixer, with some inputs going into the actual X32 in order to get more than 32 inputs.

Misreading late at night.

In that case, why would there be any latency at all beyond whatever's in the X32? Rereading what you wrote, the "extra processing" threw me. What extra processing? You were using the Rack for its inputs, not for its processing.
The aes50 connection will add to the latency. I assume that you also will get an additional delay for each s16/x32 that is daisychained.

What I haven't tested and I've not found any info on this is if the x32 will add a delay compensation when the aes50 is used, or not.

Hey Antoon, gelukkig nieuwjaar!

The latency introduced by routing the AES50 signal through the channel processing is only a tiny fraction of a ms (8 samples). Moving your head about 5 cm away from the monitor is probably equivalent.

Btw, we are busy with testing and refining a number of functions for V2.0 which will make your life much easier, especially when combining X32 consoles.
;-)

Best,
Jan

Hey Antoon, gelukkig nieuwjaar!

The latency introduced by routing the AES50 signal through the channel processing is only a tiny fraction of a ms (8 samples). Moving your head about 5 cm away from the monitor is probably equivalent.

Btw, we are busy with testing and refining a number of functions for V2.0 which will make your life much easier, especially when combining X32 consoles.
;-)

Best,
Jan

Dag jan,

Ook een gelukkig nieuwjaar en het beste voor 2014. (Spreek / ben jij een nederlander? :)~:)~:smile:)

To the rest, off course a happy new year, I allready forget it, because of the very busy schedule at the moment.

I allready hoped that this routing would be improved. Glad it looks like that. But those 8 samples won't hurt especially as I have no IEM connected.

I tried also the X32 full <-> X32 rack <-> S16 way of connecting. I hoped that I could control the pre-amp gain on the S16 via the pre-amp tab on the Ipad connected to the X32 full, but somehow no controls were displayed on the ipad? Is it my way / fault or doesn't it work like that after all?

This seems to be the best place to get an answer, please excuse if this exact question has come up before, I did do a search.

My X32 xuf card is not visible in Logic Pro 9 and Reaper AND it also does not connect to the X32 Edit application (Mac). In the Mac system profiler the xuf card is visible so the computer knows it there but both recording platforms do not see the card as a interface. I am inclined to think it is a problem with the desk. I have configured the desk according to the manual. Has anybody else had trouble with the DAW software actually seeing the xuf card?

I tried also the X32 full <-> X32 rack <-> S16 way of connecting. I hoped that I could control the pre-amp gain on the S16 via the pre-amp tab on the Ipad connected to the X32 full, but somehow no controls were displayed on the ipad? Is it my way / fault or doesn't it work like that after all?
To make that work, you should connect the iPad to the X32 rack.

De beste wensen! ;-)

Route DAW playback directly to Aux Output

Hi there

Is it at all possible to route playback from DAW via the Card out menu directly to the Aux output? Or do you have to route via an input channel then via a Mixgroup to the Aux output?

I'm trying to route to external hardware effects unit via an External Audio effect in Ableton Live 9.1. Any insight or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Peace, love and flowers,

Sean

Re: Route DAW playback directly to Aux Output

Hi there

Is it at all possible to route playback from DAW via the Card out menu directly to the Aux output? Or do you have to route via an input channel then via a Mixgroup to the Aux output?

I'm trying to route to external hardware effects unit via an External Audio effect in Ableton Live 9.1. Any insight or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Peace, love and flowers,

Sean

I assume you want to use the external effect like an insert, going from the external effect to the aux in to get the signal back into play. If you route the card to input channels in the routing home tab, then you can insert the aux on those channels and work from there.

This seems to be the best place to get an answer, please excuse if this exact question has come up before, I did do a search.

My X32 xuf card is not visible in Logic Pro 9 and Reaper AND it also does not connect to the X32 Edit application (Mac). In the Mac system profiler the xuf card is visible so the computer knows it there but both recording platforms do not see the card as a interface. I am inclined to think it is a problem with the desk. I have configured the desk according to the manual. Has anybody else had trouble with the DAW software actually seeing the xuf card?

Has the card firmware been updated to work with your OSX version? (this may only apply to the X-USB part of the card and isn't supposed to fix any FiWi issues)

What do you mean by "it also does not connect to the X32 Edit application"? The application doesn't connect thru' the XUF interface, you need to connect that via ip.

Try switching the card to USB and then back to FiWi, that sometimes does the trick.

Last edited:

Has the card firmware been updated to work with your OSX version? (this may only apply to the X-USB part of the card and isn't supposed to fix any FiWi issues)

What do you mean by "it also does not connect to the X32 Edit application"? The application doesn't connect thru' the XUF interface, you need to connect that via ip.

Try switching the card to USB and then back to FiWi, that sometimes does the trick.

Switching between FiWi and USB worked! Thanks! Behringer: fix this now!

The X Edit app is a separate issue that may be a problem with my router. X32 -> Netgear DGN2000 -> Macbook pro/HP laptop/ipad 1/ipad 3/iphone 5

The iphone and ipads work perfectly. The edit app on both computers does not connect stating corrupt data at between 2-6% on the sync loading bar thing

I assume you want to use the external effect like an insert, going from the external effect to the aux in to get the signal back into play. If you route the card to input channels in the routing home tab, then you can insert the aux on those channels and work from there.

Thanks for the above Per I like your lateral thinking, will have a go this evening and let you know how I get on.

and when they release 2.0 upgrade? :D~:-D~:grin::D~:-D~:grin::D~:-D~:grin::D~:-D~:grin::D~:-D~:grin::D~:-D~:grin::D~:-D~:grin: