X32 Discussion

Re: 2.0 Still can't write-protect scenes

Seems you still can't write-protect a scene, this is so basic and necessary that I am amazed they left it out.
Does anyone have a work around other than a USB stick tied to the console with string?
Mick Berg.

Re: How to restore desk setup into V2.01 firmware

*do not synchronize*
load each scene

When you say load each scene,do you mean on xedit, or on the desk?

when you flash the desk it wipes it clean

i just click on my scene in xedit and say yes
loading it into the desk

then use the scene view on the desk to save it in a scene slot

Re: NAMM

With all due respect to you and QSC (I own bunch of QSC amps and speakers, most were bought used and not a single one ever failed!), I still didn't get how nearly identical K-12 and KLA-12 speakers (both 12" two-way in a plastic box, with almost identical 1000W amp module) can have three times the price difference ($800 vs. $2500). Do you honestly believe that KLA-12 isn't overpriced?

KLA line are the only boxes that seems to be priced over the top, rest of HPR and KW series are pretty much on par with JBL offerings. PLX-2 amps have no substitute at their price.

First, compare same sort of prices. K12s list at about $1000. You can buy KLAs for less than &2500.

The case/rigging on a KLA has to be able to support other units, so has to be substantially different and stronger. I sold some KLAs recently and they are way heavier than my K12s.

Also, how do you know the parts are almost identical?
A BMW and a KIA have the same wheel configuration and major controls (steering, turn signals, brake ) so according to you should sell for same price?

Sent from my iPad HD

Re: 2.0

image.jpg We did two stages side by side this weekend it was a little different but it worked . We used 3 x32s one on each stage and one as a "router " for foh . Worked great in total we have 3 with access to 2 more ! I forgot to say Gary richrath from reo joined the stage and played riding the storm out in this picture ! Pretty cool in my book

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

I briefly loaded 2.01 this evening to have a quick look at the new cues/scenes/snippets arrangement, which certainly looks much more convenient for theatre use. Although, from reading the release notes last week, I expected you'd be able to recall multiple snippets from one cue. For example, if you could start a show with all your cues, etc set-up, decide during the first half to tweak, say, the FX settings for certain songs, quickly save that as a snippet, and then add a recall for that snippet to the relevant existing cues. I know you could recall safe the FX, but that only helps if you want the changes to apply to every song from that point onwards.

Also...

Are there any settings for the RTA in terms of sample frequency, or to average the display? I only had a quick look, but didn't notice any settings in relation to the display. Also noticed that if you use the oscillator to generate pink noise on a bus and then view it on the RTA, the graph isn't flat (weighted maybe?)

Dear All,

It has been an amazing NAMM show, with many exciting product releases and accolades across all MUSIC Group brands. I just wanted to let you know that your questions will not go unanswered. As soon as we are back from the show, we answer all your questions.

Thank you all for your continued support!

Dear All,

It has been an amazing NAMM show, with many exciting product releases and accolades across all MUSIC Group brands. I just wanted to let you know that your questions will not go unanswered. As soon as we are back from the show, we answer all your questions.

Thank you all for your continued support!

Thanks for all your hard work Joe.

Here's a question for when you have time :
The unzipped file size of 1.15 is 18,019,840 bytes but the unzipped size of the beta file 2.01 is 5,940,736 bytes , almost quarter of the size.

So my question is not what have you put in but what have you taken out ? I know you can reduce code size by refactoring and optimisation but a 75% reduction is huge . It does mean lots more space for new toys thou lol
Kev

Thanks for all your hard work Joe.

Here's a question for when you have time :
The unzipped file size of 1.15 is 18,019,840 bytes but the unzipped size of the beta file 2.01 is 5,940,736 bytes , almost quarter of the size.

So my question is not what have you put in but what have you taken out ? I know you can reduce code size by refactoring and optimisation but a 75% reduction is huge . It does mean lots more space for new toys thou lol
Kev

I would bet money that it's one of two methods:

1. Partial update, wherein the update only contains the changes from 1.15 to 2.01. This way it does not require the whole firmware.
2. The update is compressed.

The A&H QU16 costs significantly less but still has a touchscreen - they're so ubiquitous these days, I don't think cost is a significant factor. What is significant is that the user interface has to be designed from the ground up to be able to utilise a touchscreen effectively; as the X32 software wasn't designed for that, the M32 is in the same boat.

Agree. Even touchscreen on Soundcraft Si Expression has much larger buttons (on a smaller screen), so there's a lot more menu digging there. Behringer was able to pack a lot more information on a fewer screens on X32/M32, not being touch-screen. Midas Pro desks aren't touchscreen either, as are AVID desks. MIDAS Pro series has much bigger screen size (15", I think), and OK to work with. (I hate their built-in ball mouse though, PM5D or XL8 style touchpad would be better. Although you can use any USB mouse just fine). Wish X32/M32 add mouse support too, will certainly make life easier.

I would bet money that it's one of two methods:

1. Partial update, wherein the update only contains the changes from 1.15 to 2.01. This way it does not require the whole firmware.
2. The update is compressed.

I bet the first option they make only a partial update, so it is possible to downgrade back to version 1.15

Friend, good night!

I'm a User, the X32 in Brazil working in the Church not only effectively upgraded to version 2.01, having no editor!
I wonder when will come the editors for this new version, and also will have some way to import the scenes ee libraries version 1.15 for this new version ...

Thank you!

Price Drops

Wow!

Just got word that there are almost across-the-board price drops on products after NAMM, most notably for this thread on almost if not all the X32 family.

MAP on the

X32 went from US$2999 to $2799.99,

X32 Rack from something higher (don't have these memorized) to $1299.99,

Core to $799.99,

Compact to $1999.99,

Producer to $1499.99,

NU4-6000 to $349.99

NU-6000 also to $349.99

with dealer costs going down correspondingly.

Orders effective today are at the lower pricing.

Other things are probably cheaper, too, but I haven't been following their prices so I don't know what to look at.

Amazing!

Dan

Edit: Cool, that's an auspicious 300th post!

Also noticed that if you use the oscillator to generate pink noise on a bus and then view it on the RTA, the graph isn't flat (weighted maybe?)

Most FFT based RTA analyzers divide the spectrum into equal chunks of linear frequency, making white noise a flat line. To compensate, a slope of 3dB/octave needs to be introduced. "Real" hardware based analyzers used filtering to divide the spectrum into equal (1/3 octave or whatever) chunks, and measured the signal strength in each band, and software based variants will do the same. However, doing it in software means either occupying the bandwidth of a considerable number of channels in real time or time slicing to an extent where only steady state signal can be analyzed with any degree of accuracy.
Thus, most RTA is FFT-based, and therefore linear and not logarithmic as we would want it to be. To get reasonable low frequency resolution without having too many bands to analyze, the spectrum is often sub-divided into chunks of 1 to 5 octaves, each chunk having its own FFT. The higher octave bands of this approach will have quicker response or better accuracy or a combination of both.
Since each analyzer might treat signals slightly differently, some may have slopes by default etc. the same signal might look different in different analyzers.
If it looks good in the analyzer but sounds wrong, chances are that it actually sounds wrong.

Wish X32/M32 add mouse support too, will certainly make life easier.

There is both touch screen and mouse support on the X32, the software to support it is called X32-Mix, X32-Q and X32-Edit :D~:-D~:grin:

While I'm sure they could have designed in mouse support, there was probably never a real need to explore that since XControl (The original X32-Edit) was always a part of the concept and indeed was available for download before the X32 got to the first customers.

Kev

Hopefully it is code optimisation. Back in the dark ages we sometimes took compiled code and hand-reassembled it to reduce it by as much as 90%. While that is very hard to do today because software projects are several orders of magnitude bigger now, rewriting the code to properly integrate everything that has been added on often gets rid of vast amounts of wasted code.

There is both touch screen and mouse support on the X32, the software to support it is called X32-Mix, X32-Q and X32-Edit :D~:-D~:grin:

While I'm sure they could have designed in mouse support, there was probably never a real need to explore that since XControl (The original X32-Edit) was always a part of the concept and indeed was available for download before the X32 got to the first customers.

These are nice, but I'd still prefer having mouse and keyboard support built into X32, like in MIDAS Pro desks, Venue and even good old PM5D (10 years old!). It's nice to have everything in one, rather than relying on laptop and iPad. A VGA/DVI port for external monitor would be a welcome addition too, MIDAS Pro desks have it, despite their huge 15" onboard display, for a reason.