X32 Discussion

Re: 2.0

I'm not near the console now, but wouldn't the way around the problem be to just enter the preamp page and do any adjustment there?

Per, of course you are right!

I tried it and it works; that must be why the HA Split choices are on the Preamp Page.

Updated the post above to credit your genius, and was able to say what I've wanted to for a long time: "Per Per's post..."

Thank you!

Dan

Re: X32 Discussion

Not CPU, but DSP, the ADSP 21371 from Analog Devices , you can't really compare clock speeds. In terms of processing power, it is probably comparable to a Core i7. And there is two of them.
I can't remember if there is a CPU for housekeeping, and what that cpu might be.
From another forum a pic that shows the Freescale MCIMX253DJMYA a Arm 9 based 400Mhz processor. Lots of capability and clearly the brains behind the X32. There is a memory chip by Micron next to it a 2MC17 (clearly marked) but Micron disavows any knowledge of it on their site. There is also a micro sd 128 MB card on the board (looks removable).

Jan,

Conceptual question: Currently channel/groups/DCA scribble strips only allow to enter one line of text as its name. ...

May be it's possible to change software that if no snippet symbol is selected then two lines of text are available for entry. Do you guys plan to implement something like this?

Is it possible to change the channel order, without changing routing / assigning / naming etc ?...

Dear Klaus and Arik,
While we had to cut some corners for keeping the timing for release of version 2.0,and there was no time for squeezing it in this time around, it is on our list for future updates.

Now am heading for day 3 @ ISE Amsterdam and then finally getting back to my regular work next week.
Cheers and Thanks,
Jan

Are you 100% sure? And why 192k?

Because AES3 is only 2 channels x4 is maximum 8 channel. Not 16.
I would expect ADAT on copper (8 channel) x2 + 2x power supply...
Yes, I'm very sure. But you are partly right.

The ultranet uses two pairs, i.e. 2x8 channels.

You could say that eight channels are linked into four 24/48 streams. These streams are then multiplexed to form a single 24/192 aes3 stream.

Quite clever, isn't it!

Oh, and one pair is for power gnd and the other pair is for the V+.

More tech info at
X32 User Net • View topic - The pm16-m protocol

From another forum a pic that shows the Freescale MCIMX253DJMYA a Arm 9 based 400Mhz processor. Lots of capability and clearly the brains behind the X32. There is a memory chip by Micron next to it a 2MC17 (clearly marked) but Micron disavows any knowledge of it on their site. There is also a micro sd 128 MB card on the board (looks removable).

Yeah, that could be the housekeeping processor. I assumed it was just a memory controller since the board only have a single connector, but I haven't had a look inside besides pictures I've seen, so trying to do any semi-intelligent guesswork based on cable tracking is unfortunately beyond me at this moment. I prefer to speculate wildly :razz:

The SD-card holds the firmware according to one of the more hardware-savvy contributors on this forum.
Half an hour with a soldering iron, a ribbon cable and a sd-card panel holder and a Dremel, and voila, you have instant swappability of firmware and the possibility to disable the board completely by removing the card :twisted: (do not try this at home)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Klaus Roethlisberger

Is it possible to change the channel order, without changing routing / assigning / naming etc ?...

Dear Klaus and Arik,
While we had to cut some corners for keeping the timing for release of version 2.0,and there was no time for squeezing it in this time around, it is on our list for future updates.

Now am heading for day 3 @ ISE Amsterdam and then finally getting back to my regular work next week.
Cheers and Thanks,
Jan

Good news, Jan, that you have it in mind.

Also, my suggestion on how to implement Klaus' idea about custom channel layers (like MIDAS Pro POP groups) without changing desk hardware: The REMOTE layer button is normally not used in live work. What if make it a REMOTE/CUSTOM select button, means that when it is lit, Channel layers 1-16 and 17-32 will become Custom 1 and Custom 2 layers. Then we should be able to assign ANY channel in ANY order to these layers, just like we do with assigning channels to DCA groups.

Also, since all the layers select buttons carry only one selection (channel bank, bus, DCA, matrix, etc.) makes sense to assign different colours to them, it would be easier to see which one is currently active, not just all white as now. It's easier to see and memorize the colour than look which one of white buttons is illuminated. For example, make DCA button white, buses blue and green, matrix/masters red, or whatever. The colours can be permanently assigned, no need to customize them, although it would be nice to have this option too, like we assign different colours to scribble strips now.

Another idea from my wish list: Pressing Channel layers 1-16 and 17-32 simultaneously should give access to a third 33-48 layer coming from 3rd S16 stagebox. Since single AES50 line can carry 48 channels in each direction at 48K, are there any technical problems with that? 48 channels downstream and 40 upstream (24 outs and 16 for P16 Ultranet) are still within AES50 limit. Just curious if there are any technical reasons for not doing it (CPU power may be, seems to be pretty slow at 400MHz). Or it's just a pure marketing, to separate MIDAS and Behringer brands and not to cut into MIDAS piece of pie?

Last edited:

Yeah, that could be the housekeeping processor. I assumed it was just a memory controller since the board only have a single connector, but I haven't had a look inside besides pictures I've seen, so trying to do any semi-intelligent guesswork based on cable tracking is unfortunately beyond me at this moment. I prefer to speculate wildly :razz:

The SD-card holds the firmware according to one of the more hardware-savvy contributors on this forum.
Half an hour with a soldering iron, a ribbon cable and a sd-card panel holder and a Dremel, and voila, you have instant swappability of firmware and the possibility to disable the board completely by removing the card :twisted: (do not try this at home)

Per, just curious, did you see any unused video out connector on that board, like VGA? MIDAS Pro desks use a standard PC motherboard as main CPU board (I have pics of it), so it's easier for them, as well as USB ports for keyboard and external mouse. It would be nice to have an option for a bigger external monitor with keyboard and mouse, like on MIDAS Pro 1/2/2c, rather than using a laptop with X32-Edit.

Per, just curious, did you see any unused video out connector on that board, like VGA? MIDAS Pro desks use a standard PC motherboard as main CPU board (I have pics of it), so it's easier for them, as well as USB ports for keyboard and external mouse. It would be nice to have an option for a bigger external monitor with keyboard and mouse, like on MIDAS Pro 1/2/2c, rather than using a laptop with X32-Edit.
The x32 doesn't use any pc components like the midas. Therefor it doesn't share any of its i/o either.

There are no hidden connectors inside the x32...

Just curious if there are any technical reasons for not doing it (CPU power may be, seems to be pretty slow at 400MHz). Or it's just a pure marketing, to separate MIDAS and Behringer brands and not to cut into MIDAS piece of pie?
All the audio routing and aes50 are handled by the fpga. The fx are handled by one dsp and the mix engine is handled by a second dsp.

The mcu running @400MHz is very powerfull since it's based upon risc technology. However in this case it only handles the hui and similar stuff and does nothing audio related. Well, ok. It does the usb audio player, but other than that...

Last edited:

memory board.jpg

No, I assume the connector on the bottom is the connection to the main board, and there seems to be no other connectors. Although the processor has built in lcd and touchscreen support and lots of other stuff, unless there are connectors on the other side of the pcb, I guess only parts of the capabilities are utilized. A picture of the flip-side would of course confirm a lot, including how much of the package is actually connected. It seems funny to include a processor with certain capabilities and only using a fraction, but it is a matter of price, if it is cheaper than other chips with the needed capabilities, then it makes total sense to be wasteful, I just don't know, simply speculating.

Update: Deepthroat came through with another image, of the underside of the board with more contacts, so it looks like this cpu/mcu performs more tasks than I initially assumed, but I will leave it to Robert to provide the insight, see post above.

internals5.jpg

Last edited:

Also, my suggestion on how to implement Klaus' idea about custom channel layers (like MIDAS Pro POP groups) without changing desk hardware: The REMOTE layer button is normally not used in live work. What if make it a REMOTE/CUSTOM select button, means that when it is lit, Channel layers 1-16 and 17-32 will become Custom 1 and Custom 2 layers. Then we should be able to assign ANY channel in ANY order to these layers, just like we do with assigning channels to DCA groups.

Also, since all the layers select buttons carry only one selection (channel bank, bus, DCA, matrix, etc.) makes sense to assign different colours to them, it would be easier to see which one is currently active, not just all white as now. It's easier to see and memorize the colour than look which one of white buttons is illuminated. For example, make DCA button white, buses blue and green, matrix/masters red, or whatever. The colours can be permanently assigned, no need to customize them, although it would be nice to have this option too, like we assign different colours to scribble strips now.

Another idea from my wish list: Pressing Channel layers 1-16 and 17-32 simultaneously should give access to a third 33-48 layer coming from 3rd S16 stagebox. Since single AES50 line can carry 48 channels in each direction at 48K, are there any technical problems with that? 48 channels downstream and 40 upstream (24 outs and 16 for P16 Ultranet) are still within AES50 limit. Just curious if there are any technical reasons for not doing it (CPU power may be, seems to be pretty slow at 400MHz). Or it's just a pure marketing, to separate MIDAS and Behringer brands and not to cut into MIDAS piece of pie?

While the cpu that runs at 400 MHz have nothing to do with the sound, the two DSPs are of course limited in what they can do, as well as the limitation to what can actually be streamed into and out of the audio processing path. It has been suggested before to use the remote button and combinations to enable a remote control of resources on other units, like a Core or a Rack, thus extending channel handling capabilities and general processing power. It would seem that the Midas developers might be thinking along those lines to extend the capabilities of the M32 (and hopefully the X32). While the two branches of the family can share firmware and still limit the capabilities of units named X, one would hope that will not be the case, at least not for the majority of developments.

Of course, implementing custom layers have nothing to do with processing capacity, that is more a question of housekeeping and also having the memory resources to implement.

+1,good ideas...