X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

I believe Peavey uses a Waves chip in the IPR DSP amps that has many capabilities and only utilizes the Maxxbass function.
I'm pretty sure that chip does ALL the DSP. Peavey "bought" that chip for the DSP, the MaxxBass function came along for free. The chip does have some stuff "shut off" that is turned on in the Crest version such as advanced limiting.

Inserts on X32

I was happily assuming that you could assign any physical input or output to the insert points of a channel. Now that I'm actually trying to do it in X-Control I'm not seeing how. Did I make an incorrect assumption?

Seems that all I can do is to assign the Direct Out of the channel to an analog out for the insert out, and then use a completely separate channel to bring the insert back in.

Is that how it has to be done? I'm inserting a Dugan E1 into eight channels of the console. The first six channels can use the aux inserts of course. It's the last two channels that are giving me this problem.

I have also been assuming that with an X-ADAT card, a Dugan or other insertable processor could be simply patched to the insert points of the channel. But now I'm wondering, will this be true? This is bothering me, I thought the X32 had these fundamental capabilities, but now I'm not so sure as I can't see access to the insert points on the routing pages.

Mick Berg.

Last edited:

1 -. Because the 2.0 upgrade not activated in the auxiliary channels, the same characteristics of the channels 1-32 (compressor, gate, insert, etc etc) to complete the 40 channels?
2 - why not increase the slots to load more plugins? whether as sc48VENUE!

- DSP ​​processing power of x32 is not enough? :cry:

Last edited:
Re: Inserts on X32

I have also been assuming that with an X-ADAT card, a Dugan or other insertable processor could be simply patched to the insert points of the channel. But now I'm wondering, will this be true? This is bothering me, I thought the X32 had these fundamental capabilities, but now I'm not so sure as I can't see access to the insert points on the routing pages.

We have been nagging Behringer to make the card available as inserts, it hasn't happened yet, but I think it is still among the stuff that hasn't been ruled out.

1 -. Because the 2.0 upgrade not activated in the auxiliary channels, the same characteristics of the channels 1-32 (compressor, gate, insert, etc etc) to complete the 40 channels?
2 - why not increase the slots to load more plugins? whether as sc48VENUE!

- DSP ​​processing power of x32 is not enough? :cry:

2. Because someone have to buy the bigger consoles ;-)

Re: ESD

I've never seen it in over 30years in IT networking, having been working with Ethernet since Xerox/Digital/Intel first released it running on thick yellow cable. We never do anything speciific regarding ESD when flood wiring buildings, such as offices, that have carpets etc. all over the place.

Ha - I've seen plenty of networks where the network itself worked fine, but electrically it was a mess - just because stuff "happens" to work doesn't mean it's smart or safe. Watching two buildings connected via CAT5 have the building ground float to the network can be a .... shocking experience. When things get serious enough, dangerous shocks and/or fried equipment are not uncommon.

How many warnings about removing grounds to get rid of hum have been ignored and people on stage shocked or electrocuted? Same thing here.

To quote Scotty - you canna change the laws of physics!

Note however that most computer networking protocols are able to withstand lost packets, either because they don't matter, or because a higher level protocol (eg TCP) provides error recovery. Ethernet is a "best efforts" data-link layer protocol, packet delivery is not guaranteed, and higher layer protocols using it are expected to take that into account.

Yup - that stuff can mask quite a bit of underlying problems with the physical layer, and rarely is that a good thing for long term reliability. I can't tell you how many discussions have ended with "yeah, but is barely working really what we want to aim for or do we want it working with slack for any future issues", how many times I loose that argument and then at some future point when that slack isn't there and everything crashes the "I told you so" isn't as satisfying as you would think :(

Re: File backup...

I started some 'real' work on X32-Edit, preparing a show at home...to be used
with a band showing up with an X32 and wanting me to do the support band

Went to work and had some spare time, then transfered the whole show from the home Mac to
a portable mac via USB stick, only to discover, that libraries are not included in '.shw' files...

How can I backup completely the content of everything > in 1 step/file ?

...I *MUST* be missing something, since it's so basic

Best

Klaus

Re: X32-Q app problem..

Until a possible firmware issue have been solved, may I suggest that you try out X32-Router from Twelve Tone to see if that might be a solution.

Awesome - someone made the proxy program we were tossing around a while ago. I'll have to play with this!

This program is fishy to me since it says it will increase the number of clients to "unlimited" "from the current limit of 4".

What's fishy about it? The computer connects to the X32 - the connection between the X32 and the computer is one of your ten. The devices connect to this program running on the computer - and since a computer has vastly more resources than the X32, loading should not be an issue. Even more impressively, the software appears to proxy all the metering activity - this could be a DRAMATIC reduction in overhead on your X32 if you like to have several iPads up with different meters. One device instead of many running meters is a significant reduction in overhead on the X32.

Way cool!

...................... only to discover, that libraries are not included in '.shw' files...

How can I backup completely the content of everything > in 1 step/file ?

...I *MUST* be missing something, since it's so basic

No, you are not missing anything, you need to do it one by one preset. However, in V2.0 there is the option to backup each library, so the pain will not last for much longer.

One thing though, when you have prepared a show using presets, you don't really need those presets anymore, because the settings have been included in the scene files where you used the presets.

No, you are not missing anything, you need to do it one by one preset. However, in V2.0 there is the option to backup each library, so the pain will not last for much longer.

One thing though, when you have prepared a show using presets, you don't really need those presets anymore, because the settings have been included in the scene files where you used the presets.

Why do I not need libraries anymore ?
It's a work in progress... shows differ, and as long as we can not move channels by drag and drop on a touchscrenen, at least I want to be able to paste whole channels into order from the library...

Rant :
The real game changer seems to me that basic stuff is promised for later...

Best

Klaus

Hey, my two cents about RTA:

Do you think would be good if you could select particular channels in Meters>RTA to view their spectrum? For me as a beginner could be very helpful to to view how the freq separation work together for lets say bass drum an bass, or vocals, guitars etc.

Different spectrums could be blended with a level of transparency and different colors. dont now if its possible or if it requires a better video card to manage a more complex animated fx.

Or maybe you could just select in the eq page of a channel, a couple of different RTA sources from other channels?

either way, RTA implementation its a great upgrade and I'm so happy that I have it even in single mode

Last edited: