X32 Discussion

X32 studio setup

Hi folks, god vibes to all! I'm in Sao Paulo, Brazil and I'm going to do a major upgrade on my studio. I read a lot past weeks and I'm thinking of buying this setup:

PC or Mac with PTools(adction...)

Madixtreme 64 card (or should be the 128?)
SSL Alphalink Mx 16-4
Audient Asp0008 for fisrt 8ch
Octopre Mk2 for more 8 (using dir outs)
Behringer X32 compact for more 16 ch with madi card.

also I imagine using the x32 for many mono phone mixes and buying one P16-M for more demanding musicians.

I'll apreciate your comments!

TKs a lot.

JJ

Re: V2 final

you can connect xedit - simply when asks you to sync console to pc etc click cancel and then load a scene to sync them. However, limited - new features not editable and "console" scenes not available - probably other quirks.
Apparently the iPad will not connect. The android one has been updated for v2 and enhanced - have you installed the latest beta version ?

I wish I would have seen this earlier, you are correct if you dont sync the console it will work. With the "MixStation" app i had to disable loading data to get it to work. I was never able to get the Ipad app to work, but my iphone would connect.

A few things I noticed was when I updated the scene from 1.15 into 2.2, any linked channels were no longer linked. Delay to a bus was turned off (but still had the correct settings) and my assignable buttons were gone, as well as my FX rack was reset. Also my ip address and router/gateway settings were all zero's all the way across. Also I never found the new 4 tap delay there were talking about.

Re: V2 final

I wish I would have seen this earlier, you are correct if you dont sync the console it will work. With the "MixStation" app i had to disable loading data to get it to work. I was never able to get the Ipad app to work, but my iphone would connect.

A few things I noticed was when I updated the scene from 1.15 into 2.2, any linked channels were no longer linked. Delay to a bus was turned off (but still had the correct settings) and my assignable buttons were gone, as well as my FX rack was reset. Also my ip address and router/gateway settings were all zero's all the way across. Also I never found the new 4 tap delay there were talking about.

re mix station - there can be a glitch when sometimes xferring data with v2 but does work.
Yes when upgrading from v1.5 firmware to v2 network settings are lost.
Have only loaded a couple of v1.5 scenes so need to check what you say since been using the v2 beta for last couple of months so had rebuilt most scenes.
Note some of new features not a aivailable in mix station yet but the v2 revision is pretty cool with new custom layers of up to 16 channels and scene save & load

Re: X32 Discussion

Can anyone pm me Ian Riley's number, had my phone stolen and he was dealing with me. Second console with (the allegedly rare) sticky buttons so need to get it sorted and have lost his number..

Sent from my iPhone

Dear All,
I would like to clarify some of the issues brought up on the ProSoundWeb thread that Dan has linked to above:

We are not able to replicate the Network settings issue when loading new scenes, however it is true that these settings are reset during the update process from 1.15 to 2.02.

We were also not able to duplicate a return to scene 0 by power cycling the desk.
However, remember that if you do not perform a “Safe Shutdown”, you may lose any changes made within the last minute or so. To perform a “Safe Shutdown” in version 2.02, lock the console by pressing and holding the HOME button.

Some parameters are reset when updating to Firmware 2.0. We recommend that you backup your complete show before updating, and restore after complete.

Please let me know if I can answer anymore questions regarding the Version 2.0 update. Hope you are enjoying all of the exciting new features that the update provides!

However, remember that if you do not perform a “Safe Shutdown”, you may lose any changes made within the last minute or so. To perform a “Safe Shutdown” in version 2.02, lock the console by pressing and holding the HOME button.

Ok so if I don't touch the board 5 minutes or so, and I remove power it will start up in it's last state?

To be honest I never have done a safe shutdown.
After a show I leave the console powered, then I go to the stage collect all microphone's and power down the amplifiers, then I go back to the console to shut it down, that's more then 5 minutes...

Ok so if I don't touch the board 5 minutes or so, and I remove power it will start up in it's last state?

Yes, it seems so, and your work mode and mine are fine for that. The problem would be if the console restarted in the middle of a show, and less than 2 minutes after you changed scenes. Then it would go to Scene 00.

It does appear you can load a scene into Scene 00, so at least if you do that you'll start in something related to what you were doing when you lost power, maybe. I can think of plenty of situations in which your scene library would make that no better since one scene on the console is completely unrelated to another (using multiple S16's for example), so that may be no help.

Since 1.15 had no scene 00, I have to assume that it went to its last state in that situation, which means that 2.02 went in the wrong direction from 1.15 on this issue. IMO.

Also, my iPads are working fine with 2.02, but I didn't upgrade them since 2.1.2. Don't know why the company would put out a new version that turns out to be less functional than the old version, but there it is. And it all should be moot in a day or two when the new -Mix comes out.

Separately, the console that I loaded the 2.02 in chose the exact moment of the first time I pressed Mute Group button #6 (the first thing I checked!) to have that button start sticking. And it may be "sticking again", because I sent in a console to get button #6 fixed and I'm not sure it was this exact console.

If it was, and a problem that was fixed did not get fixed for any duration, does that somehow reset that part of the warranty, since I learned the other day here that all my full size consoles are now out of warranty for non-internal problems?

I did get some of the WD40 dry spray lubricant that was mentioned either here or in another thread for this kind of problem, so if the console is truly out of warranty maybe I'll try that and report back here.

The switch does not get unstuck when moved by a finger, but does when I use the can opener tool on my Boy Scout knife to very gently nudge it to the left. I don't get why the finger doesn't do the same thing, but it reliably doesn't and the can opener tool reliably does.

Hmm, I like your post with the exception of this

We were also not able to duplicate a return to scene 0 by power cycling the desk.

I believe you WERE able to duplicate the return to scene 0 by power cycling the desk IF you do not perform a "Safe Shutdown" of the desk if you power down and up within 2 minutes of loading a new scene. This is based on what's in the other thread.

It did it every single time for me. You lose your changes and recently loaded scene, and it goes to scene 00, although scene 00 is highlighted in gray and not yellow/orange like an active scene. Over 2 minutes and you go to the last auto-saved scene and console state.

Hmm, I like your post with the exception of this

I believe you WERE able to duplicate the return to scene 0 by power cycling the desk IF you do not perform a "Safe Shutdown" of the desk if you power down and up within 2 minutes of loading a new scene. This is based on what's in the other thread.

It did it every single time for me. You lose your changes and recently loaded scene, and it goes to scene 00, although scene 00 is highlighted in gray and not yellow/orange like an active scene. Over 2 minutes and you go to the last auto-saved scene and console state.
My own tests showed that this would only be true if the last scene before a snapshot was scene 00.

If the last scene were 78 it would load that. However this isn't true either. Because it would load the latest snapshot and that one could be equal (or only similar) to scene 78.

My proposal is to initiate a snapshot save whenever a scene/cue/snippet change is made. But also that snapshots are updated more frequently like every 30sec or so.

If I had a power out I would rather have the last state than the last scene loaded.
Have not noticed any reverting to scene 0!

My own tests showed that this would only be true if the last scene before a snapshot was scene 00.

If the last scene were 78 it would load that. However this isn't true either. Because it would load the latest snapshot and that one could be equal (or only similar) to scene 78.

My proposal is to initiate a snapshot save whenever a scene/cue/snippet change is made. But also that snapshots are updated more frequently like every 30sec or so.

You are correct. I tried it again, and it does load the last saved state of the previous scene.

It's confusing, because when it finishes rebooting there is no indication of what scene you are in at that point, but 00 is showing with a grey highlight. No scene is showing the yellow/orange highlight, and there is no indicator on the console which scene is loaded.

To make it more interesting, I think I initially wasn't waiting the full time for the autosave of the previous scene before going to the last scene and then powering off. When the console came back on it would be in some kind of twilight scene that was a combination of the previous scene and the last un-snapshot scene.

Your frequent snapshot updates plus something with an indicator that the recalled state was either a specific saved scene or a specific scene that had been modified and autosaved in a snapshot would resolve the concerns on this subject.

Glad you caught my mistake on the 00 thing. My apologies to John.

You are correct. I tried it again, and it does load the last saved state of the previous scene.

It's confusing, because when it finishes rebooting there is no indication of what scene you are in at that point, but 00 is showing with a grey highlight. No scene is showing the yellow/orange highlight, and there is no indicator on the console which scene is loaded.
Am I the only one? In general I think that it is difficult to referrer to scenes at bootup or most of the time in general...

I'd rather call the commonly known 'scenes' as 'snapshots'. The reason is that as soon as you touch anything on the console you are not on your recalled scene anymore.

To me a scene is a series of events triggered in a particular order, starting with some initial snapshot, until the next scene is loaded.

With the new scene/cue/snippet this is more in the line of how I would think of it.

I don't get it why people make such a thing of this?
Is this because everything else does work too good?

I live in the Netherlands, power doesn't shut off here normally. I can't remember the last time I had such a problem.
Yeh, people removing the power cord incidentally. But I have no problem that it takes some time in that case that my gear has to be turned on again, and that I did lose adjustments / scenes of the last 5 minutes... It's not that you lose all scenes.

Be happy that you don't have a windows based console like the digico's, they take a lot more time. I won't go out without a UPS with that board.

I don't get it why people make such a thing of this?
Is this because everything else does work too good?

I live in the Netherlands, power doesn't shut off here normally. I can't remember the last time I had such a problem.
Yeh, people removing the power cord incidentally.

While I agree that the problem is likely solved with a UPS, I wonder if the reason you don't worry about it in Europe and we in the USA are more concerned is that the console resets at 89 volts (IIRC) if it lasts for 2 cycles out of the 60 in the AC.

Your line voltage is twice as high as ours, and maybe you don't get the amount of voltage sag that we do when the air conditioner or whatever kicks on. Your voltage would have to sag 63% or so for there to be a problem, ours only needs to sag as little as 19% for a 110v supply, or 26% for 120v. If I'm remembering the 89 volt thing correctly.

Again, the proper UPS resolves this issue and makes it a non-issue, but nobody here has not seen the lights dim when the refrigerator turned on, and many bars here are known for overloaded electrical systems. Probably some churches are in the same electrical category, which actually makes a nice mental symmetry.

Hi folks. I just loaded Version 2.02 to my X32 this morning and I would like two basic questions answered:

1. Is there a new User Guide that covers Version 2 or at least a supplement to the original User Guide that explains in detail all of the Version 2 changes?
2. On some forum threads I have read that you can somehow get 1.15 scenes loaded into a 2.02 system and in some I have read that you can't. I have 1.15 scenes saved on a thumb drive. If need be I can go back to 1.15 and get them loaded but I'd really like to get them loaded into 2.02. Is there any way to do that? I would really like the definitive answer.

Thanks all ................. Rob