X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

Not the usual way of recording! But you can do this via the P16 outs ( though not for all 32) plus if want send & return effects recorded you would need to do these separately.
Where I would like a tap is pre input delay
Hi Nick,

I'd have to respectfully disagree.

Historically this is the way to record. The be able to control the input compression and eq going to tape.

The recent way of using just the preamp signal without touching it at all wasn't the way it used to be done.

Hi Nick,

Historically this is the way to record. The be able to control the input compression and eq going to tape.

The recent way of using just the preamp signal without touching it at all wasn't the way it used to be done.
It's the way I do it for any projects including those that I use a big console for. I don't know enough about the material being played to want to make final decisions while recording. Trying to visualize anything other than static settings..comps or EQ...but NEVER fader moves.

Hi Nick,

I agree -but disagree ..as the way it should be done is to use mic splitters and send the raw signals to a separate mixer and recording unit - so that the recording was not at all compromised by the levels & processing on the Foh console.
The new split mode in v2 software goes a bit of the way in helping to re - realise this without using mic splitters - but not perfect.
Edit: btw are we talking about multi-track recording of live events or tracking in the "studio"?
For the former mix splitters to separate console/ recording sw should really be used.
For latter still makes no sense to record with compression/eq etc as this cannot be undone once recorded - just makes more sense to apply any processing at mixdown and even here I would not " bounce" down individual tracks to include this - only to produce the main or sub mixes for mastering.

Last edited:

I'm more referring to a recording environment. Whereas a split isn't needed.

I agree -but disagree ..as the way it should be done is to use mic splitters and send the raw signals to a separate mixer and recording unit - so that the recording was not at all compromised by the levels & processing on the Foh console.
The new split mode in v2 software goes a bit of the way in helping to re - realise this without using mic splitters - but not perfect.
Edit: btw are we talking about multi-track recording of live events or tracking in the "studio"?
For the former mix splitters to separate console/ recording sw should really be used.
For latter still makes no sense to record with compression/eq etc as this cannot be undone once recorded - just makes more sense to apply any processing at mixdown and even here I would not " bounce" down individual tracks to include this - only to produce the main or sub mixes for mastering.

Hi Brett,

Thanks - at least somebody gets it!

EDIT- Perhaps the majority here are live guys so the context they are coming from is a live 'once only' performance where any changes may ruin things. This probably causes them to misunderstand recording in a studio environment. In their context, I'd also not want to modify anything.

Pauly

Hi Nick,

R
Hi Brett,

EDIT- Perhaps the majority here are live guys so the context they are coming from is a live 'once only' performance where any changes may ruin things. This probably causes them to misunderstand recording in a studio environment. In their context, I'd also not want to modify anything.

Pauly

Maybe I am misunderstanding. I do a lot of one song recording projects without any in studio preproduction work....so I am hearing the material and performances for the first time. With all the capabilities in the box... Or out..after the recording is tracked, why would I chance mucking up the tracking with out of context mix moves?

Traditionally, when recording direct to wax, there was a way of doing things. That way changed slightly when one started to record to tape, and then again when one had multitrack to play with. During the tape era, it was important to avoid saturation with unwanted or unneeded signal, and it was important to extract as much as possible from the s/n-ratio available. Thus, low cut and as perfect EQ as possible on each track was the way to go, even boosting higher frequencies a bit to have something to cut to avoid tape hiss.
When multi-tracking had evolved to the point where there was one physical track available for each track to be recorded, and dbx and Dolby Pro had more or less eliminated audible hiss, there was more freedom to do post recording adjustments, and methodology moved in that direction, but low cut and preamp eq was still the norm, and that didn't really change much with the introduction of digital tape.
However, for the last twentyfive years there has been a migration towards the "Raw" recording methodology, where less and less eq have been applied to the analog signal before the AD. This is simply because the recording process has by and large kept up with the ADs and the desks, so there has been no loss in the recording/playback part and thus no reason whatsoever other than preference to process before recording (unless you were stuck with a 16 bit ADAT or an old Otari on a 24 bit desk).
Since most production today is following the principle of non-destructive editing, why would one want to embrace "destructive" recording when in most cases EQ settings and processing can be separately stored anyway?

Last edited:

Anyone have any good guidance (videos or writeups) to use the X32 to tune the room? Also a good ref mic to use that isn't outrageously priced? With the RTA features and the built in Pink noise gen this should be perfectly doable. I tuned the Main L/R output using the parametrics and my ears and I think it sounds pretty good but I'd like to get a multiple room location spot check to fine tune it. I'd like to map out some of the equal loudness curves in the system.

Since most production today is following the principle of non-destructive editing, why would one want to embrace "destructive" recording when in most cases EQ settings and processing can be separately stored anyway?
Why paint on a canvas when we have photoshop? Or, why carve a piece of wood with a knife when you can use a cnc? Why whould one build a house complete with furnitures made of ice when it melts in the summer?

Because some people embraces the destructive creative process where the misstakes is a part of the creativity and end result.

I like that!

Why paint on a canvas when we have photoshop? Or, why carve a piece of wood with a knife when you can use a cnc? Why whould one build a house complete with furnitures made of ice when it melts in the summer?

Because some people embraces the destructive creative process where the misstakes is a part of the creativity and end result.

I like that!

And more studio time and retakes to get it right. Recording individual parts with dynamics and eq is not the whole canvas
I can see this method possibly approriate if it is a straight "live"/ whole band studio recording straight to stereo - otherwise simply adds no benefit but rather could cause issues down the line in the mix.

but then to each his own !

Anyone have any good guidance (videos or writeups) to use the X32 to tune the room? Also a good ref mic to use that isn't outrageously priced? With the RTA features and the built in Pink noise gen this should be perfectly doable. I tuned the Main L/R output using the parametrics and my ears and I think it sounds pretty good but I'd like to get a multiple room location spot check to fine tune it. I'd like to map out some of the equal loudness curves in the system.

The proper tool to tune a room is the D9 Equalizer. No console can replicate its function.

caterpillar-d9-06.jpg

Now what do you think a wimpy 50lbs mixer will do?

Last edited:

Very disappointed the iPad or even the Windows app isn't compatible. Unfortunately I did a silly and didn't read the last ten pages of these forums before I updated my x32 Rack.

Is there a way to downgrade? Can I just load the 1.15 software on a jumpdrive and just install that?

I only mix via iPad and windows editor as my x32 rack is installed in a rack in a back room... Kind of a big deal for me, and color me optimistic the iPad/windows editors would actually be updated and able to import scene's properly... :(

Really just need the iPad app to work.

Very disappointed the iPad or even the Windows app isn't compatible. Unfortunately I did a silly and didn't read the last ten pages of these forums before I updated my x32 Rack.

Is there a way to downgrade? Can I just load the 1.15 software on a jumpdrive and just install that?

Yes, just take the 2.02 off your USB drive so the 1.15 is the only one there, and it will load back in.

I had a heck of a time loading the 2.01 beta in a console. My normal 64Gig drive that has all the saved shows and break music would NOT be read by the console (before I learned about holding View down), and I finally put it on a new drive with almost nothing else on, and it loaded fine. I used that one to load 2.02 as well. I took 2.01 off the 64G drive and put 1.15 on it just in case.

Lo and behold, after I had the console set up with 2.02 and had the 64Gig drive in it playing music, restarted it to test the scene saving business. Sure enough, EVERY TIME I restarted, 1.15 would start to load from that 64Gig drive until I finally pulled it out for keeps.

It's only easy to load firmware when you don't want it to, apparently. I don't know how to maintain that unwanting attitude when loading it intentionally.

These are sensitive consoles that can read intentions.

Yes, just take the 2.02 off your USB drive so the 1.15 is the only one there, and it will load back in.

OK, awesome, ran this and it worked great, I can connect via iPad again. but the PC is still saying the data isn't right... Anyone have this? I'm wondering if I don't need to uninstall the PC software and reinstall to get it to connect properly again....

Would be awesome if Behringer had this listed somewhere for us people that run the X32 Rack and Core, when you know, kinda need to have the iPad/PC app to do anything quickly...

OK, awesome, ran this and it worked great, I can connect via iPad again. but the PC is still saying the data isn't right... Anyone have this? I'm wondering if I don't need to uninstall the PC software and reinstall to get it to connect properly again....

Would be awesome if Behringer had this listed somewhere for us people that run the X32 Rack and Core, when you know, kinda need to have the iPad/PC app to do anything quickly...

Don't forget to reset your IP address/subnet mask.

To be picky. You are not tuning the room without construction/destruction. You are tuning the system to the room. :D~:-D~:grin: