X32 Discussion

Re: Mixing Station on 2 Slate 21 Pro PC's

Nice, I asked David a while back if he would consider making a big screen version of Mixing Station for the Slate. He considered it a good idea, but I guess there are not enough hours in the day for him.

I think it works out well. Especially with 2 of them. You should see the RTA on the EQ tab, I'll have photos of it at a show on the Eve. I edit on the upper one and mix on the lower one. It is nice to see all 32 with Aux and DCA's at one glance. Plus I am controlling Reaper, Edit, and Traktor Pro running on a PC via RDP on either panel. I may just sell my X32 Console.
I think he said he was working on a split screen next, that would be nice.

And yes I know this may not look so hot outside. The Slate can get very bright but outside could be washed out, even under a tent.

Dante card - Any pointers?

G'day All,

Well I've sprung for the Dante card for my X32 - I have also purchased the Audinate dante software thing... So.. I thought I'd ask before it gets here - Any tips, gotchas, or pointers?

Thanks
Pauly

Re: Dante card - Any pointers?

Well I've sprung for the Dante card for my X32 - I have also purchased the Audinate dante software thing... So.. I thought I'd ask before it gets here - Any tips, gotchas, or pointers?

I got mine working on my MacBook Pro using Thunderbolt dongle with little difficulty - I totally guessed on the config, did the little matrix boxes and was able to pass audio to the MacBook into Waves MultiRack and back to the X32 within 5-10 minutes. I used it on Saturday at a job... I did have a complaint of some latency from our bass player. Previously no complaints when using Firewire card. I am guessing its my config.

Hoping that someone does a YouTube series sooner than later. Should have bought one for Xmas for that Drew guy at the Northridge Community Church! :razz:

I have one problem in live events. I use X32 RACK with 2 subs JBL PRX715XLF and 2 tops PRX 712.
When I play on my arranger it is super sound.
But when I sing on my microphone in low frequencies, I hear some noise "zzzzzz" in back of the JBL PRX712.
When I shut down all low freencies the problem is gone, but the sound of my voice is unnatural.
Please help me.
pic1.pngpic2.pngpic3.pngpic4.pngpic5.pngpic6.pngpic7.png

Hi Dave,

I bought the card mainly to ensure low latency!.. :) Lets hope it's a config thing. Did you set it (Latency) to 6ms? If you do happen to solve it please shout out.

Thanks for the response.
Pauly

I got mine working on my MacBook Pro using Thunderbolt dongle with little difficulty - I totally guessed on the config, did the little matrix boxes and was able to pass audio to the MacBook into Waves MultiRack and back to the X32 within 5-10 minutes. I used it on Saturday at a job... I did have a complaint of some latency from our bass player. Previously no complaints when using Firewire card. I am guessing its my config.

Hoping that someone does a YouTube series sooner than later. Should have bought one for Xmas for that Drew guy at the Northridge Community Church! :razz:

Hi Dave,

I bought the card mainly to ensure low latency!.. :) Lets hope it's a config thing. Did you set it (Latency) to 6ms? If you do happen to solve it please shout out.

Thanks for the response.
Pauly

What are you doing with the card that requires low latency? It will not have low latency to Dante Virtual Soundcard since DVS is not low latency. Network induced latency should be in the microsecond range within the network.

Mac

I have one problem in live events. I use X32 RACK with 2 subs JBL PRX715XLF and 2 tops PRX 712.
But when I sing on my microphone in low frequencies, I hear some noise "zzzzzz" in back of the JBL PRX712.
When I shut down all low freencies the problem is gone, but the sound of my voice is unnatural.
Please help me.
View attachment 11444View attachment 11445View attachment 11446View attachment 11447View attachment 11448View attachment 11449View attachment 11450

Well are you playing out Live in a club?

And if so what the main L&R eq set at..

And your EQ on that vocal has alot of cut in it.. and all freq's

Ya might want to go back and check your main EQ on your PA and straighten a few things out there and then you can flatten that channel out a little
in the mids and high freq's where your loosing all your sound at.. Just a few pointers :)

Hi Dave,

Despite all the claims and all the people believing it, Dante is not low latency. Dante needs buffers to account for packets, and often quite large buffers if operated in a network where the data has to go through several nodes. The only thing that is guaranteed to be quick enough and stable enough at a low latency (once you get it working properly with the right chipset) is FireWire. For anything that involves monitoring, particularly in-ear, the X-UF card is the best option by far.
Possibly, with a properly working low latency MADI or ADAT interface card on the computer, the X-MADI and the X-ADAT could also be good low latency options.

Air leak in speaker

Please help me.
View attachment 11444View attachment 11445View attachment 11446View attachment 11447View attachment 11448View attachment 11449View attachment 11450

Hello

I am not starting to discuss "super sound" more than you must have VERY heavy bass on your system, if the EQ-curve above is your vocal mic.

Anyways - the "ZZZZZZZZZ" behind your speakers migt be air leaking somewhere. To check that out you can use the oscillator in your X32. Turn everything else off and start the oscillator at moderate level. Sweep the frequency until you find the "ZZZZZ" - then turn level down enough so it is comfortable to be near the cabinet and listen carefully to finf if there is air leaking somewhere. Fix the leak.

Re: Air leak in speaker

Hello

I am not starting to discuss "super sound" more than you must have VERY heavy bass on your system, if the EQ-curve above is your vocal mic.

Anyways - the "ZZZZZZZZZ" behind your speakers migt be air leaking somewhere. To check that out you can use the oscillator in your X32. Turn everything else off and start the oscillator at moderate level. Sweep the frequency until you find the "ZZZZZ" - then turn level down enough so it is comfortable to be near the cabinet and listen carefully to finf if there is air leaking somewhere. Fix the leak.

i was thinking the same thing, that or a coil rub on the inner "smooth" side on the pole piece can sound like that. And it may not make that sound until pushed a bit. If you are running a driver to its mechanical or thermal limits deforming the coil or melting the glue can happen causing it to rub. If you do this often better find a shop good at speaker repair. I remember my first subwoofer.

Despite all the claims and all the people believing it, Dante is not low latency. Dante needs buffers to account for packets, and often quite large buffers if operated in a network where the data has to go through several nodes.

That depends somewhat on how you define "low latency". The additional network latency, above ADDA conversions that Dante adds is user adjustable, and there are minimum amounts needed depending on how many network hops the signal takes in any given path. With 3 or fewer hops you need to set your Dante hardware for a minimum of a quarter of a millisecond additional latency over the approximately 150 microsecond network latency. With 5 hops you need a half a ms, with 10 hops (a pretty large audio network) you need a full ms.

Dante Virtual Soundcard has its own latency that is separate from other devices on the network, and can be as little as 5ms to as much as 10ms. DVS is not a low latency device.

Mac

As long as we are talking PC/Mac-based processing, the DVS is going to be part of our setup, so Dante in our setting has to include DVS.
As for the hardware based part of a Dante network, you have minimum and then you have what is needed/wanted for glitch-free operation, my understanding is that this varies (wildly) with the quality and structure of the network, but I have no stats.

As long as we are talking PC/Mac-based processing, the DVS is going to be part of our setup, so Dante in our setting has to include DVS.
As for the hardware based part of a Dante network, you have minimum and then you have what is needed/wanted for glitch-free operation, my understanding is that this varies (wildly) with the quality and structure of the network, but I have no stats.

If you are using DVS as the I/O interface for real time processing it will have a lot of latency. I doubt it will be useful for much besides reverbs. However, the DVS latency does not impact the rest of the network, only the actual DVS interface. While all Dante audio interfaces on the network except DVS should have the same latency setting, DVS can have a different latency setting. The network can be run with a quarter of a ms of latency and DVS can have 10ms of latency and everything will be fine.

Mac

Please help me.

First, does the buzz happen on both sides, or just one? Pan the L/R output back and fourth to find out.

Then use the frequency sweep method mentioned to find out what frequency is causing the buzz.

If you don't mind, could you post your scene file? there might be something setup funny that is causing a gain structure problem as well.