X32 Discussion

Re: USB Hard drive for recording?

Hi Mick,

I don't think you can use a hard drive on the top panel, only USB sticks.

That was another Dan M who mentioned an "other step", not me, and I think he was talking about formatting a large hard drive to be FAT32 but not about formatting it to somehow record off that top USB. He'd have to say for sure, though, and he's not responding to you in the last week.

Sorry to be no help.
Sorry, didn't notice the two Dan M's!
Mick.

Re: X32 Discussion

I'd be happy if it were true, I just thought we'd been explicitly told by Behringer that the connector and whatever's behind it wasn't set up to be used with a hard drive.

Well I always thought ( must have read it somewhere) that you could only use a usb stick as the 2 track recording device - but looking back at the original manual section 5.16 Recording a 2 track directly with the Console - it says "the x32 offers the possibility to record a 2 track of your mix...... directly onto a USB-stick/external USB Hard disk".

May be it works with an external Hd with a separate power supply?

Well I always thought ( must have read it somewhere) that you could only use a usb stick as the 2 track recording device - but looking back at the original manual section 5.16 Recording a 2 track directly with the Console - it says "the x32 offers the possibility to record a 2 track of your mix...... directly onto a USB-stick/external USB Hard disk".

May be it works with an external Hd with a separate power supply?

The use of external hard drives has been discussed in various forums and from memory the consensus was that a USB stick is the only supported device as documented somewhere on the Behringer website. An external drive would use more power than the mixer was designed to provide and will probably release the magic smoke if you attach a USB drive. There were also discussions about people attempting to use externally powered drives but I have never heard of anyone successfully doing so.

The use of external hard drives has been discussed in various forums and from memory the consensus was that a USB stick is the only supported device as documented somewhere on the Behringer website. An external drive would use more power than the mixer was designed to provide and will probably release the magic smoke if you attach a USB drive. There were also discussions about people attempting to use externally powered drives but I have never heard of anyone successfully doing so.
That's my memory, too, but Nick quotes the manual and here is the X32 Wiki, where it has the same line he quotes but never again mentions "external USB hard disk":

http://x32wiki.music-group.com/index.php?title=Recording_a_2-track_directly_with_the_console

If you hadn't said it might release the magic smoke I'd try it.

Hi Mick,

I don't think you can use a hard drive on the top panel, only USB sticks.

That was another Dan M who mentioned an "other step", not me, and I think he was talking about formatting a large hard drive to be FAT32 but not about formatting it to somehow record off that top USB. He'd have to say for sure, though, and he's not responding to you in the last week.

Sorry to be no help.
Another idea for USB music playback: many cars now have USB port that is tied to the car radio (even on Chevy trucks!). When iPhone is connected, pretty much the entire iTunes screen is displayed on the radio, with playback controls, just like on the phone itself. And car radio is much simpler device than X32.

I wonder if Behringer plans to implement something similar in the future, means adding iPhone connect functionality to USB port on the top and replacing the "cassette deck" USB playback screen with iTunes-like screen, similar to what we already see in the cars, example below. Everyone has their fav tunes saved on iPhone already, it will be way simpler than convert them to .WAV, transfer to USB drive and use the rudimentary navigation menu as X32 has now.

I'm sure there will be some licensing involved, but Behringer may offer it as an add-on option. I don't mind paying an extra $50 or so for convenience. Make the next firmware upgrade cost $50, I don't care, just make it happened. Or offer "free" regular upgrade and "paid" one with iPhone/iTunes integration. Car makers got it resolved, why can't Uli do the same?
usbmedia-2-846x432.jpg

1A is not enough to drive a HD so some external power supply is needed.

1A is more than enough for a portable HDD. I use them all the time with computers - they wouldn't work on standard USB if they needed more than 500mA. Windows claims the one I'm using at the moment is drawing 250mA so I can't see power being the issue with the X32.

1A is more than enough for a portable HDD. I use them all the time with computers - they wouldn't work on standard USB if they needed more than 500mA. Windows claims the one I'm using at the moment is drawing 250mA so I can't see power being the issue with the X32.
The problem isn't so much the sustained current draw but the peak draw when the discs speed up. Some external HD's are better than others...

I can't remember where I read it, but my understanding is that the USB protocol used by thumb drives is simpler than the one used by a full-on "hard" drive, and the X32 only implements the former. I can't find any documentation to support this, as there seems to be only one USB "Mass Storage Class" definition, but that's what I remember. Certainly when I tried a Maxtor 320GB portable USB 2.0 drive, claimed to draw only 500mA, on my X32 it didn't work.

Another idea for USB music playback: many cars now have USB port that is tied to the car radio (even on Chevy trucks!). When iPhone is connected, pretty much the entire iTunes screen is displayed on the radio, with playback controls, just like on the phone itself. And car radio is much simpler device than X32.

I wonder if Behringer plans to implement something similar in the future, means adding iPhone connect functionality to USB port on the top and replacing the "cassette deck" USB playback screen with iTunes-like screen, similar to what we already see in the cars, example below. Everyone has their fav tunes saved on iPhone already, it will be way simpler than convert them to .WAV, transfer to USB drive and use the rudimentary navigation menu as X32 has now.

I'm sure there will be some licensing involved, but Behringer may offer it as an add-on option. I don't mind paying an extra $50 or so for convenience. Make the next firmware upgrade cost $50, I don't care, just make it happened. Or offer "free" regular upgrade and "paid" one with iPhone/iTunes integration. Car makers got it resolved, why can't Uli do the same?
View attachment 12111

Because the X32 is a mixing console, not a car stereo or iPod support device.
Please Uli, don't even think about it!
Mick Berg.

Thanks for all the replies. I think the verdict is that it can't be done.
I'm not going to pursue it any further.
Mick Berg.

Because the X32 is a mixing console, not a car stereo or iPod support device.
Please Uli, don't even think about it!
Mick Berg.

Mick, you've missed the point: music playback is one of X32 functions, not the major one but still needed, for break music, etc. This functionality is already there in rudimentary form, as .WAV playback from USB stick. My point was that it's much easier to plug in your iPhone straight to X32 rather than messing with file conversion and transfer to USB stick. Make the process easy, like Apple did with iTunes. No one would use a $3000 desk as iPod dock, but being able just to plug in your iPhone, start the playback and forget about it (while doing more important things) would certainly make sound guy's life easier, especially during the show.

For now it's the difference between, well, modern iTunes and operating a 1970s cassette player.

Hi Everyone,
Just got my x32 Compact today and I've been doing some initial tests with it.
Everything is generally great, but I am hearing a lot of hiss on the master L/R outs when connected to my self powered Mackie SR1530 speakers.
These speakers are not particularly quiet, but this hum is unusually loud. Before I bought this mixer I was using an old Allen & Heath Mixwizard 16:2. I would say with the master fader on the A&H all the way up the noise was similar. But on the x32 I'm getting this hiss even with the master fader muted. Unplugging the XLR from the speaker renders the speaker dead quiet again.

What makes things more interesting is that I also have a single KRK Rokit 5 hooked up to Bus1/Xlr1 out, as well as an Adcom power amp driving two bookshelf speakers hooked up to the monitor out, and these are both very quiet.

The only obvious thing I haven't yet tried is removing the 100' stage snake from between the speakers and the mixer. I will be testing that shortly. I just popped on to google and searched for x32 hiss, and here I am. So, without reading all 500 pages of this thread, maybe some one has some experience or advice they could throw at me.

All help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
-Daniel