X32 Discussion

Re: Bus / Main L/R question:

Thanks but i'm not sure that answers my question. If i have effects (or anything) on buss 15 and 16. And main L on xlr 15 and main R on xlr 16. Will whatever is on bus 15 come out my main L speaker and whatever is on bus 16 come out my main R speaker?

It's the 'overlap' or interleaving of the 15-16 busses and main LR signals i seem to be having. Not sure how to send effects to busses 15 and 16 but not have those dry signals come out xlr 15 and 16.

--Kevin
Hi Kevin,

What comes out the outputs is configurable and it not ties to any specific bus. If you set output 16 to source from bus 16, then that's what you'll get and you will not get any R on the output. You can set output 10 to source from bus 3, if that makes sense for your gig. And if you do that, then bus 10 might not actually go out anywhere.

Out of the box, output 15 is set to the main L and output 16 is set to Main R. Bus 15 and 16 don't actually show up (directly) on any output.

You can't configure an output to get audio from more than a single source (but that source could be a bus that is a mix of multiple channels).

Thanks but i'm not sure that answers my question. If i have effects (or anything) on buss 15 and 16. And main L on xlr 15 and main R on xlr 16. Will whatever is on bus 15 come out my main L speaker and whatever is on bus 16 come out my main R speaker?

It's the 'overlap' or interleaving of the 15-16 busses and main LR signals i seem to be having. Not sure how to send effects to busses 15 and 16 but not have those dry signals come out xlr 15 and 16.

In digital consoles the output ports and the mixes do not have to be related. There is probably a default patch that arranges them in a way the manufacturer thinks makes sense, but they don't have to remain that way. In any patching scheme, any given destination can only have 1 source. In your case the destination "XLR out 16" can only have a source of either "mix 16" or "stereo R", not both. Once you have patched the stereo mix L & R to output ports 15 & 16 the mixes will no longer go there.

Mac

Laurence had the answer. I had busses 13-16 routed to outputs 13-16. With Main LR physically connected to xlrs 15 and 16 I was getting what sounded like both the effect on buss 15/16 and the L/R on xlr 15/16.

So, while keeping the effects inputs on busses 13-16 I turned those buss outputs OFF in the I/O Out 1-16 tab. Now the effects sends are on the 13-16 busses and the returns are sent to main L/R and the only signal coming out of xlr 15/16 is Main L/R.

Thanks for the discussion.

--Kevin

Is M32 PSU hardware same as X32?

Sadly our X32 is no more, the power supply failed and took the mainboard along with it. The console has been written off, because it is old and replacement parts are not available (at least that's what the repair center says.) Under the warranty we will get a refund. We're thinking of going up to an M32. My boss' question is, and rightly so, is the power supply in the M32 physically the same unit as in the X32? And is therefore likely to fail again in a short time?
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Re: X32 Discussion

X32 is old and parts not available? It's only 4 years old* and (as you say) most are still under warranty - what's going on there?

(*based on product announced at NAMM 2011, and several months before first units shipped)

Sent from my iPhone

X32 is old and parts not available? It's only 4 years old*

There have been hardware changes over those four years. One of my colleagues has a much earlier X32 than mine and it's quite different cosmetically to mine. He's also just put the original firmware back on there after suffering crashes on the most recent one - something that I've not encountered with that same firmware on mine. It would be very interesting to know exactly what they've changed during the lifetime of the desk - same name but different elsewhere...

Re: Rta on ipad? Ever?

WTH is the problem with this feature?
Gotta be a basic inability of software/hardware.

RTA is not an available feature for the iPad app yet, long, long time pending an update. There are a few other features of recent firmware updates not implemented as well. Android version is the only game in town.

Re: Is M32 PSU hardware same as X32?

Sadly our X32 is no more, the power supply failed and took the mainboard along with it. The console has been written off, because it is old and replacement parts are not available (at least that's what the repair center says.) Under the warranty we will get a refund. We're thinking of going up to an M32. My boss' question is, and rightly so, is the power supply in the M32 physically the same unit as in the X32? And is therefore likely to fail again in a short time?
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

What you are saying makes little sense, maybe your repair center is blowing it and you off. I would contact CARE directly, I would think you may find an out of warranty repair is too expensive as opposed to buying new maybe, but if its warranty is still valid they will fix or replace it. Something there doesn't sound right. BTW the problem you describe is very RARE, I would not fear buying an M32 or another X32

Laurence had the answer. I had busses 13-16 routed to outputs 13-16. With Main LR physically connected to xlrs 15 and 16 I was getting what sounded like both the effect on buss 15/16 and the L/R on xlr 15/16.

So, while keeping the effects inputs on busses 13-16 I turned those buss outputs OFF in the I/O Out 1-16 tab. Now the effects sends are on the 13-16 busses and the returns are sent to main L/R and the only signal coming out of xlr 15/16 is Main L/R.

Thanks for the discussion.

--Kevin

The default x32 assignment in the "out 1-16" routing column is mix bus 1-14, for the first 14 positions and main L on 15 and main R on 16. You don't NEED to turn off anything. The default "xlr out" column is out 1-4, out 5-8, out 9-12 and out 13-16. If you changed the last group of 4 in the xlr out menu to something else you wouldn't get mains or fx from xlr 15/16, well you could but it would require some additional fairly complicated routing such as using P16 sources. I don't think you get both a mix bus and a main out from a single xlr assignment unless it's set as a matrix, its one or the other, mix bus or main out, or a matrix. You must have somewhere along the way changed the default to mix bus 15 and mix bus 16 instead out main L and main R. The only way you could hear both fx and mains from a single output is if you made a Matrix that had Main L/R and your fx mix busses as components of it and then assigned that matrix to an XLR output in the "out 1-16" column.

There have been hardware changes over those four years. One of my colleagues has a much earlier X32 than mine and it's quite different cosmetically to mine. He's also just put the original firmware back on there after suffering crashes on the most recent one - something that I've not encountered with that same firmware on mine. It would be very interesting to know exactly what they've changed during the lifetime of the desk - same name but different elsewhere...

I have the very first X32 sold in the the UK - it's actually one of the two demo units that were used on the "roadshow". I've had no problems with crashes at all, with any version of the firmware so far - it's rock solid.

Your profile does not say where you are - are you in a 110V mains region? The X32 PSU hold-up at 110V in is much shorter than whem on 230V as we have in Europe, and you should definitely use a UPS, and it will need to be an online or line-interactive type. At 230V the hold-up time is significantly longer and a basic offline UPS is fine (I've tried it quite a few times).

Last edited:

I have the very first X32 sold in the the UK - it's actually one of the two demo units that were used on the "roadshow". I've had no problems with crashes at all, with any version of the firmware so far - it's rock solid.

Your profile does not say where you are - are you in a 110V mains region? The X32 PSU hold-up at 110V in is much shorter than whem on 230V as we have in Europe, and you should definitely use a UPS, and it will need to be an online or line-interactive type. At 230V the hold-up time is significantly longer and a basic offline UPS is fine (I've tried it quite a few times).

You assume I didn't have a UPS - why? Of course I had one! I don't suspect a voltage spike, although you are correct here, in LA the 117 volts does give us less headroom.
But the point here is that my boss is nervous that the same thing will happen again. Out of all the competition available in the price range, my preference is for the M32, but I can understand her concern that we would be just paying more for a prettier X32 with all its unreliability problems.
If anyone can help, I need a definite answer, is the hardware (ie PSU) of an M32 physically the same as an X32?
Thanks,
Mick.
PS - will update my profile................

Mick Berg

Last edited:
an interesting and very rare glitch, shifts channels off by 1, for output routing...

A loose aec power cord on my first (of 2), or possibly some poor ethernet wiring installed in the walls at the place I gig at often, caused an interesting glitch.

I have a bit of an interesting setup, that uses (2) p16m units and a submixer for each player, in order to provide them with 32 channels to mix with (lots of stereo sources, and new york compression on vocals- 2 ch for each vocal).

Anyway a power glitch or wacky wiring caused a shift up by 1 channel in the sends to those units (channel 1 was sent to ch 2, and so on). All the inputs came to the console normal, both the live inputs routed back to optical outputs on the s16 going to a p16i were shifted, and virtual soundcheck playback output channel routing for the first 16 channels were shifted. The shift only happened in the players p16m units.

The quick fix was to switch off the ups/ac to both the s16 units and restart. I doubt I'll see that happen often - if ever again, but it might help someone out someday if they're as nutty as myself.

Lots of shows on that rig, never had that happen before

Last edited:
Re: Is M32 PSU hardware same as X32?

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Dear Mick

Please allow me to introduce myself; my name is Keith and I am a Care Technician at MUSIC in Kidderminster where we service and manage spare parts for all MUSIC brands.

In regards to your X32 we would love to help resolve your issue and get your console repaired. Let us assure you that all spare parts are available for the X32.

Would you be able to contact our technical support team to discuss the problem in more detail?
You can reach us at [email protected] or on +1-702-800-8290 (US) or +44 1562 732299 (UK)

Thank you for your on-going support and use of our brands.

Re: Rta on ipad? Ever?

Pretty frustrating. If its not possible I want to know.

The Music Group XAir-Mix app has RTA. The X32 version is just not implemented. It may be a limit to the ability of the underlaying structure of the PRESENT app but there has been ample time to bring out a new incarnation IMO. Not enough complainers I fear. iPads clearly are themselves able to display RTA, there's no hardware limitation. The Yamaha LS9 IPad app also was fairly recently updated to do just that and works fine. Can only hope the update is coming soon!

But the point here is that my boss is nervous that the same thing will happen again. Out of all the competition available in the price range, my preference is for the M32, but I can understand her concern that we would be just paying more for a prettier X32 with all its unreliability problems

Mick Berg

Hmm....2 X32's and at least 5racks in service and not one problem. What exactly are 'all its reliability problems?'

Hello

Same here - X32 from the VERY first batch - X32 rack from the VERY first batch. Both have been storen in van year round without any problems. Temperature varies from -35C to +40C inside the van - humidity between 20-99%.
No problems whatsoever.

Hello;

I'll be ordering an X32 rack within the next two weeks which I plan on using mostly as a line mixer in my live rig. (guitar, keyboards, fx, etc)
I tried to find an answer to these questions but no luck.

The manual says "Input signals can be attached to the console's internal audio processing engine in blocks of 8 signals..."

I plan on using the x32 internal fx processors in addition to one external Eventide rack unit. The Eventide will only use one set of rear panel aux send and return jacks. Does that mean I lose the use of the internal FX returns since they can only be assigned in blocks of eight? In other words, all 6 aux's have to go to the rear panel jacks?

Hello;

I'll be ordering an X32 rack within the next two weeks which I plan on using mostly as a line mixer in my live rig. (guitar, keyboards, fx, etc)
I tried to find an answer to these questions but no luck.

The manual says "Input signals can be attached to the console's internal audio processing engine in blocks of 8 signals..."

I plan on using the x32 internal fx processors in addition to one external Eventide rack unit. The Eventide will only use one set of rear panel aux send and return jacks. Does that mean I lose the use of the internal FX returns since they can only be assigned in blocks of eight? In other words, all 6 aux's have to go to the rear panel jacks?

Dear glennfin,

The four internal stereo FX1-4 returns are always available, and stereo FX slots 5-8 are supposed to be inserted into channels or buses. This is completely independent from the physical aux connectors. The X32 Rack rear panel AUX IN/OUT connectors can serve multiple purposes, such as Direct Outs or Inserts in channels or buses, or as additional in/out. They are meant as auxiliary line-level in- and outputs, in addition to the fully equipped Midas mic preamps on inputs 1...16, and have nothing to do with FX sends or returns.
In your example, you may of course use say Aux Out #1 for sending out a bus signal or a direct out from an input channel and use that as a send to your Eventide effect, by adjusting the signal source on the Routing/Aux page for that connector. The return of the Eventide may be put on any sort of inputs you like, e.g. Aux In #1 (and #2 if it is stereo). This way your Aux 1-2 faders would be the FX Return faders for your Eventide. You may also run the Eventide return into a Mic/Line input 1-16, or feed its input from any one of the XLR Outputs 1-8 ... everything is configurable.

The general in/out Routing is (mostly) structured in blocks of 8 channels for quick and easy connection of external devices, such as networked stageboxes or interface card signals, to the X32 dsp processing. Once connected to the dsp, any signal can be used in any channel (see channel configuration Source) and there is no such block-wise restriction of patching signals to channels or outputs.

You may also consider downloading the free X32 EDIT application from our website, which allows you to familiarize yourself with the functionality.

Hope that helps.
Kind regards,
Jan