X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

Ah! I see!, so that's normal.. although it would nice to have it work both ways..

It's a cabled connection...... last night I powered-up the rack and pc/xedit... "connected" but didn't choose to "sync"... there was that lag between operating the controls in xedit and when it actually happened in on the rack. Then I sync'd the two and there was no longer a lag...... can't figure it out.. sometimes there's a lag, other times it's instant.... I may try installing xedit on a different computer and see what happens.

I don't believe the rack will follow what is done on xedit, it is meant to have the computer follow the console in presentation mode...
As for the update lag, is it a cabled connection or wireless?

Hi guys. Hope i dont hijack this post with more S16 question. I have not recieve any reply as expected. While waiting, our team do some cleaning and place all electronics in proper place. I did touch abit on the s16 dail the nob first time! Found the inputs and try on and off the pantom 48v. I realized the red LED for HA lock is on. Same to the SN master. I tried to find more in youtube but very basic setup had shown. As mwntion this s16 was install by someone so i really keen to have a feel on it. Please advice. Tq all!

Greetings Alfred ... here is some setup info for the S16 that I found:

There are three aspects of setting up the S16:

Physical Connections: Connect from AES50 port on X32 / Rack to AES50(A) input on first S16. Connect from AES50(B) port on first S16 to AES50(A) port on second S16.

Setting up X32/Rack:

Look at the box on the upper right side of screen. All boxes here should be green, indicating sync. To change sync settings, go to the global page of the SETUP menu. I have had success using the "local" option, which makes the X32 the master. In this scenario, you will need to make sure your S16s are both set to external clock, described below.

Now, go to the home page of the ROUTING menu, choose AES50(A or B, depending on the port you are using on your X32) for all 32 inputs: Inputs 1-8 set to AES50(A or B) 1-8, Inputs 9-16 set to AES50(A or B) 9-16, and so on.

You should now be all set to control head amp gain from the X32 and use the S16 for inputs.

Setting up S16:

The lights on the S16s are indicating what mode it is in. The table on page 19 of the Quick Start Guide explains what mode is indicated by which lights. Modes can change whether a unit is Master or Slave, What AES50 channels feed the ADAT, and other options. I had success slaving to the X32 on both boxes, which would be the first setting in this table.

Setting up the S16 Digital Snake(s)

S16 #1 (Input ch.1-16 / Outputs 1-8)

Hold down the CONFIG button and turn the SELECT/ADJUST rotary knob to the left until there are no LED indicators on the routing display panel, and the digital readout displays as 1-8. Release the CONFIG button.

If you have a second S16 ...

S16 #2 (Input ch.17-32 / Output 9-16)

Hold down the CONFIG button and turn the SELECT/ADJUST rotary knob to the left until the red LED indicator is at the OUT +8 position and the digital readout displays as 9-16. Release the CONFIG button.

To confirm that the S16 has been successfully connected to the X32: On the S16 the A Port LED indicator will be green. On the X32, in the connection display window, the “A” row will say “S16+”.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I also found this ...

How do you get two S16s properly connected to one X32 Console?

1. First the physical connections must be made. Come out of AES50A into the first S16, then AES50B of that S16 into AES50A to the second.

2. Make sure the X32's Synchronization remains at LOCAL. This is under SETUP / CONFIG.

3. On the front panel of the first S16, hold the CONFIG button and turn the SELECT/ADJUST encoder to the left until the screen reads “1-8”. This is where it needs to be set.

4. On the front panel of the second S16, hold the CONFIG button and turn the SELECT/ADJUST encoder to the left until “1-8” displays, then turn one click right to “9-16”. Keep it at “9.16”

5. On the X32, press the ROUTING button. While on the HOME tab, change the Channel Processing Inputs from Local 1-8, Local 9-16, Local 17-24, Local 25-32 TO AES50 A1-8, AES50 A9-16, AES50 A17-24, AES50 A25-32.

6. On the X32, to configure the Outputs: press the ROUTING button and tab over to AES50 A. On the first column, change the Outs from Local 1-8 TO “Out 1-8” and the second column from Local 9-16 to “Out 9-16”.

Greetings Alfred ... here is some setup info for the S16 that I found:

There are three aspects of setting up the S16:

Physical Connections: Connect from AES50 port on X32 / Rack to AES50(A) input on first S16. Connect from AES50(B) port on first S16 to AES50(A) port on second S16.

Setting up X32/Rack:

Look at the box on the upper right side of screen. All boxes here should be green, indicating sync. To change sync settings, go to the global page of the SETUP menu. I have had success using the "local" option, which makes the X32 the master. In this scenario, you will need to make sure your S16s are both set to external clock, described below.

Now, go to the home page of the ROUTING menu, choose AES50(A or B, depending on the port you are using on your X32) for all 32 inputs: Inputs 1-8 set to AES50(A or B) 1-8, Inputs 9-16 set to AES50(A or B) 9-16, and so on.

You should now be all set to control head amp gain from the X32 and use the S16 for inputs.

Setting up S16:

The lights on the S16s are indicating what mode it is in. The table on page 19 of the Quick Start Guide explains what mode is indicated by which lights. Modes can change whether a unit is Master or Slave, What AES50 channels feed the ADAT, and other options. I had success slaving to the X32 on both boxes, which would be the first setting in this table.

Setting up the S16 Digital Snake(s)

S16 #1 (Input ch.1-16 / Outputs 1-8)

Hold down the CONFIG button and turn the SELECT/ADJUST rotary knob to the left until there are no LED indicators on the routing display panel, and the digital readout displays as 1-8. Release the CONFIG button.

If you have a second S16 ...

S16 #2 (Input ch.17-32 / Output 9-16)

Hold down the CONFIG button and turn the SELECT/ADJUST rotary knob to the left until the red LED indicator is at the OUT +8 position and the digital readout displays as 9-16. Release the CONFIG button.

To confirm that the S16 has been successfully connected to the X32: On the S16 the A Port LED indicator will be green. On the X32, in the connection display window, the “A” row will say “S16+”.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I also found this ...

How do you get two S16s properly connected to one X32 Console?

1. First the physical connections must be made. Come out of AES50A into the first S16, then AES50B of that S16 into AES50A to the second.

2. Make sure the X32's Synchronization remains at LOCAL. This is under SETUP / CONFIG.

3. On the front panel of the first S16, hold the CONFIG button and turn the SELECT/ADJUST encoder to the left until the screen reads “1-8”. This is where it needs to be set.

4. On the front panel of the second S16, hold the CONFIG button and turn the SELECT/ADJUST encoder to the left until “1-8” displays, then turn one click right to “9-16”. Keep it at “9.16”

5. On the X32, press the ROUTING button. While on the HOME tab, change the Channel Processing Inputs from Local 1-8, Local 9-16, Local 17-24, Local 25-32 TO AES50 A1-8, AES50 A9-16, AES50 A17-24, AES50 A25-32.

6. On the X32, to configure the Outputs: press the ROUTING button and tab over to AES50 A. On the first column, change the Outs from Local 1-8 TO “Out 1-8” and the second column from Local 9-16 to “Out 9-16”.

Hi Bob. Appreciate your search. Keep you update next week and this is so helpful.

X32 and Midas Pro stage boxes

Hi guys. I recently picked up a Midas DL251 to use with my X32s. I did my first show on it today, and I had an approximately 2 second loss of sync. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue.

I'm aware of the ESD dropouts, and I am using an unshielded CAT5e cable, but I am using it with an X32 Rack, so the console was never touched or would have any opportunity to transmit an ESD charge. I was mixing on iPad when this happened. I have been using S16s since they came out and never had a dropout. I usually use a UPS battery backup, but today we didn't have it, we forgot to load it in the truck. I have the DL251 set to 48k and it gained sync the first time I connected it to the X32R, no problem. My wifi freaked out a few minutes later and required a router reset so I'm thinking it may have been voltage spike or sag? Just curious if anyone else using the DL series boxes has had this issue.

I'm not sure what firmware the DL251 is on, I've read that prior firmwares were incompatible but I figured since it synced up right away that there were no firmware issues. Any ideas?

Re: X32 and Midas Pro stage boxes

Hi guys. I recently picked up a Midas DL251 to use with my X32s. I did my first show on it today, and I had an approximately 2 second loss of sync. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue.

I'm aware of the ESD dropouts, and I am using an unshielded CAT5e cable, but I am using it with an X32 Rack, so the console was never touched or would have any opportunity to transmit an ESD charge. I was mixing on iPad when this happened. I have been using S16s since they came out and never had a dropout. I usually use a UPS battery backup, but today we didn't have it, we forgot to load it in the truck. I have the DL251 set to 48k and it gained sync the first time I connected it to the X32R, no problem. My wifi freaked out a few minutes later and required a router reset so I'm thinking it may have been voltage spike or sag? Just curious if anyone else using the DL series boxes has had this issue.

I'm not sure what firmware the DL251 is on, I've read that prior firmwares were incompatible but I figured since it synced up right away that there were no firmware issues. Any ideas?
The esd problem can occur in dry environments, especially now when people wear a lot of nylon clothing and carpeting where there is a great deal of esd build-up. If you use a cable with a pvc jacket and it also is very long the pvc will conduct a static charge.

The esd problem can occur in dry environments, especially now when people wear a lot of nylon clothing and carpeting where there is a great deal of esd build-up. If you use a cable with a pvc jacket and it also is very long the pvc will conduct a static charge.

That's interesting. It was on a wood stage, but there was carpet and lots of groups of 10-30 people wearing xmas sweaters (it was a holiday Acapella show). 4 wireless mics and 2 condensers in XY for the group. The jacket of the cable is flame retardant thermoplastic. I think I need to order some shielded cat6 on Monday.

That's interesting. It was on a wood stage, but there was carpet and lots of groups of 10-30 people wearing xmas sweaters (it was a holiday Acapella show). 4 wireless mics and 2 condensers in XY for the group. The jacket of the cable is flame retardant thermoplastic. I think I need to order some shielded cat6 on Monday.

Cat 6 will work but they spec shielded cat5e... There has been "talk" about the extra twist in cat6 plays with the distance max, so keep that in mind when ordering your cable length. Also don't forget your ether cons and to test for grounding (shell to shell)

2 X32's?

I gave a show coming in this week using their own X32 rack setup. How do I set up to connect so I can use all their inputs with my X32 surface to run my own monitors and FOH?

Last edited:
Re: 2 X32's?

I gave a show coming in this week using their own X32 rack setup. How do I set up to connect so I can use all their inputs with my X32 surface to run my own monitors and FOH?

Attach cat 5 to aes50a on thier rack, attach to aes50b (or a) on your x32
Goto routing in your console and on home tab change from local 1-8, 9-16 to aesb50 1-8 etc...
Goto setup and change your sync to aesa50 instead of internal
Make sure your sample rates are the same as well.... I think that's it.

Dear Brian

In regards to your DL251 and X32R, we would love to help resolve your issues. Would you be able to contact our technical support team to discuss the problem in more detail?

You can reach us at [email protected] or on +1-702-800-8290 (US) or +44 1562 732290 (UK)

Thank you for your on-going support and use of our brands.