X32 Discussion

Re: Cable

Hey Per, could you elaborate a bit more on how the "ring" is connected? Is this a loop where the following is correct: Monitor X32B to S161A, S161B to S162A, S162B to S163A, S163B to FOH X32 A, FOH X32B to Monitor X32A? I'm not seeing (am getting a glimpse) the extra 24 extra on top of the 48 but I want to! Is it the FOH gets (on AES50A) the outputs (as inputs) of all the S16's shifted up by 16 so aes50a 17-40=the s16's outputs 1-24? Or is it AES50A 1-24 is the S16 outputs 1-24?AES50B 1-48 is all the S16 inputs? Or none of the above. Mind bent, twisted at least! I would really like to understand this, most interesting.

Hey Per, could you elaborate a bit more on how the "ring" is connected? Is this a loop where the following is correct: Monitor X32B to S161A, S161B to S162A, S162B to S163A, S163B to FOH X32 A, FOH X32B to Monitor X32A? I'm not seeing (am getting a glimpse) the extra 24 extra on top of the 48 but I want to! Is it the FOH gets (on AES50A) the outputs (as inputs) of all the S16's shifted up by 16 so aes50a 17-40=the s16's outputs 1-24? Or is it AES50A 1-24 is the S16 outputs 1-24?AES50B 1-48 is all the S16 inputs? Or none of the above. Mind bent, twisted at least! I would really like to understand this, most interesting.
In your example, with 3 S16, anything you send from FOH A will of course be shifted out of existence, but you have 24 channels above the 24 S16 outputs that you could use to send something through the S16 to FOH A, thus you will have (at least) 72 channels from MON to FOH.

OK, I'm closer to getting it I think, so routing the FOH X32, aes5050b 25-48 (traditionally used for adat out and p16 out of the S16's) would then become 24 additional inputs labeled as aes50a 25-48? The 72 ch's being 48 ch's of the 3 S16's -aes50b 1-48 and 24 as aes50a 25-48?

Mind bent, twisted at least! I would really like to understand this, most interesting.
I'm glad you are asking these questions, Cary.

I've read Per's response 3 or 4 times and when I get a glimmer of what's going on I lose it and have to start over. I think that setting up this pile of gear and messing around with it and seeing what happens will be the only way I'm going to grok it.

Which console is controlling the Head Amps of which inputs?

What happens if instead of the connection sequence you gave in your example, the 3 S16's are connected as they normally would be, A of the first S16 connected to A of the Monitor Console, B of the Monitor Console connected to A of the House Console, then A of a third console connected to B of the 3rd S16?

Do the first two consoles get to pick which inputs they are looking at on the S16's (up to 32) and the third console can pick the unused inputs? And regarding connecting to that B connector on the S16, I thought the A connector was the only one sending signal to the console. How does the B connector send signal? Since the order of inputs (1-32) depends on the sequence of S16 connections, with the first A connector being 1-16 and the second 17-32, while the order of outputs depends on rotating that knob to dial up +8, is there a +16 somewhere that lets you get outputs 17-24? Or does that output sequencing occur when going in the B connector?

While I'm asking questions, this has assbit me several times: When in the Routing pages for AES50 outputs, to get the outputs of the console sent down (up?) the Ethernet snake that setting needs to be at OUT 1-8 or whatever rather than LOCAL.

What does LOCAL mean? I looked in the Wiki and didn't find a definition.

Thanks, Per, for talking through this and going slow for us.

No problem on the relative tardiness; it's been fun in a way seeing how quiet this forum is, given that everyone seems to have had all their questions answered and we are just happily using the consoles in their various wonderful iterations that we wouldn't have imagined in the early days. I must say I'm really quite happy with the family of consoles and their niche uses. It's fun having the right tool for the job.

I'm with you on this, just about every little corner of this mixer has been discussed in great detail. So its fun to find an area that is relatively untouched. When that area has to do with routing, even more interesting. I also agree about just doing the connections and find out for myself but, well, I'm lazy. I also am not clear on what extra features I get for myself if I do and how I might use them! I think I see about where the last S16 in the chain might still send aes50 17-48 from it's B port, as each S16 in the usual chain will output those ch's (17-32 from the Adat port and 33-48 from the ultranet port) and being able to use those as X32 inputs as well as outputs is intriguing. I'm unclear if that's what happens period and I'm unclear on how the X32 sees those signals, rather what it needs to say in the 'home' menu for them to be used. If coming from the last S16's B port into the X32 A port will putting aes50a 33-40 equal what the X32 sent as it's P16 1-8-aes50b 33-40? More importantly, will I hear that. Now how about subtracting one S16? Will the X32 see not only aes5033-48 but out out 17-24 too? Mind still remains bent.

OK, I'm closer to getting it I think, so routing the FOH X32, aes5050b 25-48 (traditionally used for adat out and p16 out of the S16's) would then become 24 additional inputs labeled as aes50a 25-48? The 72 ch's being 48 ch's of the 3 S16's -aes50b 1-48 and 24 as aes50a 25-48?
Yes, and aes50a 1-24 would of course be the signals sent to the outputs of the S16s.

As for replying to the other posts from the rest of you, let me get back with a drawing later to make it a bit easier to understand.

“Dies the iPad app work any better? The last iPad update really is a slug. Frustrating.
John Chiara”

I can't really say it does or does not, there is however a new label for the P16 out routing column. It's now called ultranet instead of p16 out. That would be one more thing the app doesn't have and however minor, probably isn't helping it work any better.

Last edited:
Re: ipad

Seriously... the mutes need fixed like yesterday. Not being able to accurately see what is muted is really frustrating.
I hope somebody announces (*IN A SEPARATE THREAD*) when the iPad app is fixed. It really is a barking dog, no matter how much the gods of Behringer
tell us how they are listening to our concerns, they have totally dropped the ball on this one.
M

I hope somebody announces (*IN A SEPARATE THREAD*) when the iPad app is fixed. It really is a barking dog, no matter how much the gods of Behringer
tell us how they are listening to our concerns, they have totally dropped the ball on this one.
M

I agree! It's taken all enjoyment out of iPad mixing. Sluggish and jerky response and mute malfunctions are dangerous in fast paced situations that used to be a breeze.

Did you guys by chance load the Midas app on your iPads, or did you have auto update on, and it did both... I keep both on my iPad, update one, and keep the other, incase the app is as you say "buggy". Also if you sync to a computer, you always could have rolled back to a previous version.. All steps you now need to handle as a sound guy / IT person these days...

Re: X32 Discussion

Is there a way to have the “invert” function on the scribble strip in sync on both the console and the x32-mix iPad app? At the moment if I have a coloured background on the console, it’s inverted on the x32-mix and changing one changes both. I’d prefer the have coloured background on both. Hope that makes sense.

Re: X32 Discussion

Ok, besides output mute indicators that work, I have a new suggestion.

I want to be able to import snippets from the usb stick directly to the console. I would love to be able to set up a snippet on the pc, export it to a thumb drive (which does work) and then plug that thumb drive into a desk and import it directly (which does NOT work). Currently you have to have the pc synced connected to the desk to recall the snippet, then save it again on the consoles internal memory.

I also want the snippet control to work on the ipad.