X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Live recording

Hello

I have had the same problem - and me thinks it is because of the loudness of the band - in USB-stick recording vocals are too loud, drums and guitars are too quiet, bass is about right - so I thought, that putting a pair of boundary mics on the floor - one on both sides of drums well in front of amps somewhere no-one steps on them - and then mix it into pa-signal perhaps using matrix - would yield some semidescent result - anybody with experience please comment.

Time to hit the hay ...

I often have the same problem because the room is not so big I can send everything with the same volume to the PA. I use a separate bus to make a 2 track recording. This bus will not be send to the main. With the sends on fader I can make a separate mix on my headphones to send to the USB. This works pretty well.

airport express & x32

Is anyone using an apple airport express router that could offer some tips for solid connectivity? I can get it to work but sometimes I have to restart the router 4 or 5 times and that's frustrating if you are running late or in a time crunch to get a show started.

I'm currently using the router in "bridge mode" and using a static IP address with my iPad.

Re: airport express & x32

Is anyone using an apple airport express router that could offer some tips for solid connectivity? I can get it to work but sometimes I have to restart the router 4 or 5 times and that's frustrating if you are running late or in a time crunch to get a show started.

I'm currently using the router in "bridge mode" and using a static IP address with my iPad.

I'm sorry to be ignorant of what "bridge mode" is, but here is what has usually been working for me:

1) Power up the Airport first, make sure it's disconnected from the console.

2) Power up the console.

3) When the green light is showing on the Airport, and the console is stable, connect the two together. I've been plugging into the <-> connector on the Airport.

4) When those are connected, power up the iPad. Go to "settings". Make sure your wifi is showing as connected to the Airport, with a check next to the name.

5) Go to XControl, or whatever its name is now, make sure the correct IP address for the console is showing.

6) I've only had luck having the console address something like "192.168.20.18" or similar last digits (.11-.19). My iPads have the first three sets of numbers the same as that (e.g. "192.168.20.22"). Our iPad addresses are the next decade up from the consoles (so .21-.29 if we got that high). The subnet mask and the gateway on the console are both 255.255.255.0, and that is the only setting that has consistently worked for me. I"ve gotten in arguments with people who say the Gateway should be something else, but this is what works for me consistently and it doesn't connect for me using other numbers.

That all said, sometimes no matter what I do, there is no connection to the console with the iPad. When that happens, I sleep the iPad and let it sit for a while, sometimes up to half an hour. Waking it up causes it to connect to the console, and I have no idea why or what changed.

Sometimes restarting the console has resulted in a connection, but it's harder to do that with speakers and amps connected up.

None of this may work for you, I'm just telling you what works for me.

And is your Airport the one with the cord and square with sharp edges and rounded corners, or the one with the plug attached and square with rounded corners and edges? The former works better for us, the latter has been problematic and I don't use it anymore.

On this page Refurbished Mac Accessories - Apple Certified, 1-Year Warranty - Apple Store (U.S.) the one that is problematic is the first, older one, and the one that works for us is the second one.

Good luck, as it seems like there is a large component of that involved.

Oh, and you're right, static IP has been the only thing that works, although my kid who helps me set it all up (i.e., who does all the work while I sit there and try to understand what's going on) says he might have come up with a way to do dynamic IP, but hasn't actually done it yet.

Interface cards

OK, new interface cards have been announced...
Will the firewire cards still be available ?
Behringer ?

I'm not planing on upgrading my trusty / Mac / firewire hardware to USB2 / 3 , and
would like to go the X32 - rack or core route with firewire

And I can imagine others beeing in the same situation too...

Thanks for clearing up
Klaus

Last edited:
Re: Interface cards

I don't think that firewire cards will be available other than for service parts.

The reason being that the chip manufacturer have discontinued the dm1500 chipset and the next generation dm2500 doesn't do firewire.

I think that the feature holds thunderbolt and ethernet (e.g. dante, avb, madi) to be the firewire replacement in audio.

Even aes50 is ethernet based but with a slight difference in the protocol.

Re: iPads

The above post about iPad connectivity reminds me that I did a reggae band at a wedding a couple of weeks ago where the FOH position was in front of a major doorway, and there was not room to put the X32 there, or to have a snake crossing that and another main doorway. So I decided to mix on iPads entirely, and put the console in a garage next to the "stage" area. I ran the Airport out of the garage and just house right of the band, which was about 30' away from FOH.

IMG_1825.jpgIMG_1832.jpg

Apparently more so than most people, my mixing style seems to want access to everything at once, and the multiple iPads can do that with the relatively recent update.

One thing that happened made me think further about this iPad stuff, though: about halfway through the first set, all three iPads simultaneously lost connection to the console!

That kind of freaked me out, needless to say, as I tried to figure out what to do now: run into the garage (through the "stage" area) and mix from there? Where I could neither see nor hear? Restart the iPads/Airport/etc. to try to get the signal back? Something else? As these options raced through my head for about 15 or 20 seconds and I was getting ready to run into the garage, all three spontaneously reconnected! And they ran fine the rest of the evening.

In pondering how far up shit creek you are once the connection is lost in such a mixing situation, I realized that the best practice in the future will be to have multiple Airports connected to the console with an Ethernet switch, so that if one went out there would still be something connected to allow control. And if all the connections went out you'd know it was the console connection and not the iPads, and could work on solving that problem, knowing where the problem was and where it wasn't. (I have connected multiple Airports/iPads to one console several times, and it works just fine.)

When our Cores finally come, I expect to be mixing solely on iPads periodically, so this will be a common situation that needs to be addressed in as bulletproof way as possible. And to avoid frustration here, I won't discuss how some dealers have Cores now and the rest of us don't...

I'm hearing maybe October for the hoi polloi.

Regarding the pictures, there were more people than that, of course, and that's the groom dancing with the flower girl or whatever she was.

The band was really good, the wedding party and guests were fun people, and it was a very nice day except for that 20 seconds or so. And even that resulted in some learning.

Offered FWIW,
Dan

After much frustration, I had to give up on trying to get the AirPort Express to reliably connect with the X32. Our friend, Chase McKnight and team at Behringer, experienced the same.

I picked up a refurbished Linksys EA4500 dual-band router and it performs flawlessly.

Buy Linksys Outlet Refurbished | Free Shipping

As Dan suggests, I would also recommend changing the router's default IP scheme to something like "192.168.10.1".

Also, change the range of the DHCP to limit the number of leases. Example: "192.168.10.1 -- 192.168.10.115".

Luck is indeed a factor!

I'm in the same camp, and that's why I picked up a Compact so quickly. I don't know if it's true or not, but I feel like even using a thunderbolt adapter with firewire may perform better than USB 2.0. I've read they work well for audio I/O, when they DO NOT need to supply power. If I remember correctly, firewire was able to provide up to 40mw of power whereas the adapter only allows 7mw? So people trying to power hard drives and such have had issues.

As far as the iPad router goes, I've heard nothing but trouble trying to use Airports. I've had great luck using a cheapy Linksys I picked up for 30$. The only time it's gone out is when I was something like 70 feet away, or many objects were blocking line of sight. I feel if I tried using a much better one like what I use for my home internet, it probably work even better.

After much frustration, I had to give up on trying to get the AirPort Express to reliably connect with the X32. Our friend, Chase McKnight and team at Behringer, experienced the same.

I picked up a refurbished Linksys EA4500 dual-band router and it performs flawlessly.

Buy Linksys Outlet Refurbished | Free Shipping

As Dan suggests, I would also recommend changing the router's default IP scheme to something like "192.168.10.1".

Also, change the range of the DHCP to limit the number of leases. Example: "192.168.10.1 -- 192.168.10.115".

Luck is indeed a factor!

Similar issues until I found out that it was Line6 wireless gear that disturbed. Configured airport Express to 5ghz and have not had a single dropout ever since

I'm in the same camp, and that's why I picked up a Compact so quickly.

It is a bit frustrating that Behringer are not very forthcoming with information about what cards are likely to be shipped with what models and/or when they are ending the shipments of mixers with the current card. I'm keeping fingers crossed that the X32Rack is initially shipped with the dm1500 based card, at least then I can later pick up a different card and have a spare Firewire card.
Of course I'm still hoping for a 32 channel direct to disk card sometime in the near future :)~:)~:smile:

back to basics- compressor "hold" parameter

Hi not sure I understand it. Is it a delay before the release starts ?
So say had a very fast attack time (say 10 -15ms) release of say 120 plus what sort of setting should the hold be?

Re: iPads

... So I decided to mix on iPads entirely, and put the console in a garage next to the "stage" area. I ran the Airport out of the garage and just house right of the band, which was about 30' away from FOH.

Apparently more so than most people, my mixing style seems to want access to everything at once, and the multiple iPads can do that with the relatively recent update.

One thing that happened made me think further about this iPad stuff, though: about halfway through the first set, all three iPads simultaneously lost connection to the console!

...Dan

Hi Dan,
I really like your holodeck approach of mixing a wedding band. 8)~:cool:~:cool:
You might consider using the app's mini-faders and mini-meters only on one of the three iPads, deactivating them on the other two. That helps to get the traffic down quite a bit (without loosing information) and it prevents them competing with each other on band-width.
Best,
Jan

It is a bit frustrating that Behringer are not very forthcoming with information about what cards are likely to be shipped with what models and/or when they are ending the shipments of mixers with the current card. I'm keeping fingers crossed that the X32Rack is initially shipped with the dm1500 based card, at least then I can later pick up a different card and have a spare Firewire card.
Of course I'm still hoping for a 32 channel direct to disk card sometime in the near future :)~:)~:smile:
There was a reply stating the card availability some time ago. As I recall it the rack did not come with the dm1500 based card.

Re: Interface cards - Airport Extreme

Yes, I believe so. But I know for sure in a few weeks ;)

Hello

You and i should receive our X32R:s by the end of next week :razz: Estimated time is 20th - add a week for delivery...8)~:cool:~:cool:

Airport

I have been using the old UFO Airport Express 2004-2007 with great success. I put it on high place - usually on top of PA - to extend reach. I use fixed adress - can´t remember which, while the unit is not here - but naturally the unit is protected with password, so people in same room with their smartphones do not disturb my setup. Range has been way over 20 meteres ( 66ft ) without problem.

Only issues ever has been momentary freezing of meters couple times - usually less than two seconds.

That rig of three iPads is very impressive - not very portable though, unless you provide some carrying device - like the tray they use in sport events, when selling yucky stuff to observers - I have been planning to make a single iPad holder in the style of mouth-harmonica holder - only longer - that would free my arms from carrying the thing - it gets surprisingly heavy after six hours.

Back to arsenal of three iPads - perhaps cascading three routers with cable and having each connect only in one iPad might make your system more stable.

Let us hear how you get it going.

Cheers

Hello

You and i should receive our X32R:s by the end of next week :razz: Estimated time is 20th - add a week for delivery...8)~:cool:~:cool:

That rig of three iPads is very impressive - not very portable though, unless you provide some carrying device
I belive it when I have a nice rack in my hands ;)

About some carrying device. Let's mount the ipads on a sturdy steady/glidecam :) They can easily take 25kg and you will exersice your back as well ;)

I've been doing some glidecam video stuff and it is much harder than it looks - Just like mixing :)

Steadicam MissCh05 - YouTube

There was a reply stating the card availability some time ago. As I recall it the rack did not come with the dm1500 based card.

OK, my memory isn't always what it ought to be.

Thomann has changed the date to 25th. Hooray :cry: