X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

How many network attached devices can a single X32 have at any one time? Can my laptop have Xcontrol and my Android tablet be connected at the same time, making adjustments? How about a third device, too?

Sent from my SPH-L900

You can have four clients running.

There is a program; X32 router, that will let you have an unlimited number of clients and at the same time lighten the load on the X32 (the X32 only see a single client)

Using Waves Dugan with X-32

It would be quite difficult at the moment, because there aren't really the routing options to do so, but if you sum the channels in Multirack and return just a stereo pair, at least that bit is a bit more painless, The easiest way of getting them to the multirack is to assign the channels to P16, and use P16 as source on the card.

I have the Waves Dugan Plugin right now in demo mode, and am going to try to hook it up to the X-32 tomorrow. I'm going to try for 16 channels.

I want to do what Per suggests here, and sum all the Dugan outputs to stereo in Multirack and return just a stereo pair to the X32. This connection can be analog AFAIC.

Can anyone tell me how to get a mix of all the channels in Multirack? I've looked around a bit but haven't come up with anything. Is there a mixer plug-in I need to add?

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Last edited:
Re: Using Waves Dugan with X-32

I have the Waves Dugan Plugin right now in demo mode, and am going to try to hook it up to the X-32 tomorrow. I'm going to try for 16 channels.

I want to do what Per suggests here, and sum all the Dugan outputs to stereo in Multirack and return just a stereo pair to the X32. This connection can be analog AFAIC.

Can anyone tell me how to get a mix of all the channels in Multirack? I've looked around a bit but haven't come up with anything. Is there a mixer plug-in I need to add?

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Ooops! I wasn't aware the dugan mixer couldn't sum the channels. Yes, you will need a summing plugin, and there aren't many to choose from in Waves, NLS is the only one I can think of.

I'm wondering if there might be a better solution. Apart from getting live professor to work (I have version 1.0.2 working with Waves 9 plugins), I'm wondering if there might be a low latency mixer that will take the Waves Dugan, thus saving you some hassle and some money. I wonder if the Kristal audio engine might do the trick, or quite possibly Reaper? Let me think about it.

X-Touch

Are any details available yet as to how the X-Touch will work with an X32/M32? Can it be used as a fader bank extender, so I would have instant access to 24 input channels without having to switch banks?

And will the faders follow in scene recalls?

I have a BCF2000 and have used it with other digital mixers as a MIDI device and I can only use it on safed faders. I have never been able to get it to follow scene recalls.

Pardon my ignorance of what a "client" is, but you can have 10 iPads connected at once. Not sure about laptops etc.

Sorry, old habit, old info stuck in the brain. The limit was four connections of X-Control/X-Edit and I think that limitation still is there.
The iPad/iPhone apps added to that number, and I guess the limit of 10 applies to the sum of iPads and iPhones running X32Mix and X32Q.

Sorry for the confusion I might have created.

Re: X-Touch

Are any details available yet as to how the X-Touch will work with an X32/M32? Can it be used as a fader bank extender, so I would have instant access to 24 input channels without having to switch banks?

And will the faders follow in scene recalls?

I have a BCF2000 and have used it with other digital mixers as a MIDI device and I can only use it on safed faders. I have never been able to get it to follow scene recalls.

It says RTP midi and future X32 remote control, so presumably the plan is to update either the X-Touch with OSC or expand the midi capabilities of the X32.
Remember there was an update with Beta 2.01 that enabled midi fader, mute and pan through the midi-interfaces, presumably RTP Midi will be added as an interface option (hopefully).

Ooops! I wasn't aware the dugan mixer couldn't sum the channels. Yes, you will need a summing plugin, and there aren't many to choose from in Waves, NLS is the only one I can think of.

I'm wondering if there might be a better solution. Apart from getting live professor to work (I have version 1.0.2 working with Waves 9 plugins), I'm wondering if there might be a low latency mixer that will take the Waves Dugan, thus saving you some hassle and some money. I wonder if the Kristal audio engine might do the trick, or quite possibly Reaper? Let me think about it.

Hi Per.
I'm glad you are on board with this!

Here's a gem: Plugins for Behringer | Waves

The guys at Waves think you can use Waves with the X32 in its present state, I guess they just assumed the X32 had insert points on every channel, like any console should, and didn't test it out. It doesn't work of course. I tried it last night and it all looked lovely, the Dugan was processing away, but nothing was happening in reality as it wasn't inserted. The signals just went straight through.They really need to take this video down, unless I am wrong of course, and I would be delighted if that were so. I will let the Waves people know.

But, is it possible to route six channels of the Dugan via XUF to the Aux ins and outs, and have them set to insert? That would give six channels of processing, better than nothing. I am still confused by the routing system, and wasn't able to achieve this last night.

I will have the Waves Dugan Demo available till March 4th, and will have some time with the console to experiment. I'd love to get this to work!

EDIT: I got the demo of NLS Non-Linear Summer, but I have no clue how to use it for our purpose.

Mick Berg.

Is there a reason the summing can't be done by the mixer. The whole point, and beauty, of the Dugan mixer is that it doesn't disrupt your console routing, it just inserts on the input channels and lets you route those channels as if it wasn't there. Having an external summing bus removes the possibility of different routing for different kinds of inputs that are controlled by the automixer. I often have lavs, handhelds, and lectern mics all controlled by the Dugan, but routed to different groups for group processing.

Mac

While digital mixers have been around for decades we are still in the early days where digital mixers are just "digital" versions of analog mixers, where some features are made cheaper and more flexible, but we are barely scratching the surface of what digital decision making could add to the mix.

This does not require a significant hardware change as much as a paradigm shift in the minds of users and manufacturers who still ultimately give the customers what they think they want or are willing to accept.

Dugan automatic mic gain sharing, is just one of multiple control automation techniques that could be handed over to cybernetic control to make sound system operation easier (and potentially better).

I expect huge resistance against turing over more control to such sound system automation from "when you finally rip the fader knob out of my cold dead hand" desk operators. I am happy for Dan that he can still pull a revenue stream from this good but rather long in the tooth idea. It is not heavy lifting for the modern digital mixer technology, while they do not appear to embrace supporting it in the core design. A chcken/egg issue with customer awareness about how the technology works.

I remain surprised that this still is not integrated into modern digital consoles. Even Peavey built automatic mixing into dedicated analog church consoles

JR

Hi Per.
I'm glad you are on board with this!

Here's a gem: Plugins for Behringer | Waves

The guys at Waves think you can use Waves with the X32 in its present state, I guess they just assumed the X32 had insert points on every channel, like any console should, and didn't test it out. It doesn't work of course. I tried it last night and it all looked lovely, the Dugan was processing away, but nothing was happening in reality as it wasn't inserted. The signals just went straight through.They really need to take this video down, unless I am wrong of course, and I would be delighted if that were so. I will let the Waves people know.

As long as you insert at the start of the signal route, there is no problem.
You can insert on all 32 channels between the A/D and the channel. Source Card out from local 1-32 and source the channels from the card, and you can have inserts on all channels, but these inserts will be pre everything.
Since you want the Dugan post fader, you can't use that strategy, but you can return the 16 channels to the remaining 16 channels and sum in the mixer as long as you don't need any more inputs (you still have the auxes) .

But, is it possible to route six channels of the Dugan via XUF to the Aux ins and outs, and have them set to insert? That would give six channels of processing, better than nothing. I am still confused by the routing system, and wasn't able to achieve this last night.

Yes, entirely possible and the way a few people do it now.

I will have the Waves Dugan Demo available till March 4th, and will have some time with the console to experiment. I'd love to get this to work!

EDIT: I got the demo of NLS Non-Linear Summer, but I have no clue how to use it for our purpose.

To use the NLS, you insert it after the Dugan, using the outputs of the Dugan as inputs for the NLS.

As long as you insert at the start of the signal route, there is no problem.
You can insert on all 32 channels between the A/D and the channel. Source Card out from local 1-32 and source the channels from the card, and you can have inserts on all channels, but these inserts will be pre everything.
Since you want the Dugan post fader, you can't use that strategy, but you can return the 16 channels to the remaining 16 channels and sum in the mixer as long as you don't need any more inputs (you still have the auxes) .

I will happily put up with pre fader if it will actually work. It just means you have to bypass unused channels. I guess I just didn't manage to patch it correctly. That's very encouraging and I will try it tomorrow. If it works I will have to send a very red-faced email to the Waves people!

Just to be sure, is this what you mean for the routing.. I really need a lot more practice with this!
Screengrab1.jpg

Thanks,
Mick.

Attachments

• Screengrab2.jpg
    Screengrab2.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Re: How to restore desk setup into V2.01 firmware

I had the same thing happened to me with the "WRONG FILE VERSION"

This is what I did that fixed it for me.

If you open the file you saved from the X32 with TextEdit on a Mac,
Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 11.21.34 PM.jpg if you look at the first line at the top of you you this on your old X32 saved file. Now if you save you save your settings with the new firmware V2.01 and open it up you will see that the first line at the top is not the same. Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 11.33.37 PM.jpg Now look at the old back file that you could not open on the X32 and copy everything underneath the first line, and paste it into the new file that you made with the new firmware V2.01 from the X32 after you copy everything underneath the first line in the old file, Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 11.48.41 PM.png and paste into the new file that you made with X32 with the new firmware on it. It should look like something like this when its all done. Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 11.44.14 PM.jpg Now to save the file back on to your USB drive and put it into the text to and it's like load from USB and every thing should be back to work was before you updated the firmware. I hope this helps you out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 11.48.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 11.48.41 PM.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0

Pardon my ignorance of what a "client" is, but you can have 10 iPads connected at once. Not sure about laptops etc.
A client would be a PC or Mac. 4 is the max. There can be more than 10 iOS devices buy Berry suggests 10 as an OK spec.
If you've used wireless every extra device shares the airwaves. The more the slower until it chokes and someone is left holding the bag.

A client would be a PC or Mac. 4 is the max. There can be more than 10 iOS devices buy Berry suggests 10 as an OK spec.

I don't understand why an iOS device would be any different than a device with a full desktop OS. Seems to me they're all using the same communication channel to get / set info with the X32.

If they're truly different, I'd find that very surprising.

-- Mitch

I don't understand why an iOS device would be any different than a device with a full desktop OS. Seems to me they're all using the same communication channel to get / set info with the X32.

If they're truly different, I'd find that very surprising.

-- Mitch

They are different in the sense that the X32-Edit clients gets the full updates and sync, while the iOS clients only update the page they're on. AFAIK