X32 Discussion

X32: the best our money can buy

Hei all

I'm Jorma from Finland and this is my first post here in this great forum. I've been reading your posts some three months now and getting very helpfull advice and information. You feel like my good buddies!

Our pentecostal church got x32 and s16 a couple months ago and we enjoy using it. It's our best mixer so far. Many people say they could CLEARLY hear the difference compared to an AH analog mixer we had earlier. We were comparing AH Qu series and Soundcraft SI series with x32 side by side. X32 is the best hands down.

Regardless some missbehaving ghost members earlier I enjoy reading this forum. Thanks a lot.

May you all prosper and be in good health! :lol:

Best
Jorma

Re: X32: the best our money can buy

Hei all

I'm Jorma from Finland and this is my first post here in this great forum. I've been reading your posts some three months now and getting very helpfull advice and information. You feel like my good buddies!

Welcome to the forum, Jorma! Glad you're liking the console.

Has it taken 3 months to read the 9500 posts here? I don't doubt it.

Now you know all there is to know :)~:)~:smile:

There's a lot of Finns here; we must be doing something right.

Do you guys all know each other? That's nice; I really enjoy our American monthly meetings where everyone in our country gets together for an evening of inspiration and learning, and I assume you do the same.

Best wishes,
Dan

Last edited:
FX1 keeps going mental

Hi,

We bought an X32 from the MusicGroup eBay UK seller last week (here), and registered it during the week.

I ran it for our Church service this morning with no problems.

Then after service, I started playing with putting effects on our Violin, which I ran through FX1.

A few minutes later, FX1 went mental - right up to full, clipping, loud buzz through the speakers.

I pulled all faders down to nothing which stopped the buzzing (obviously) but the LEDs were still full. It took 2 minutes before they went back to normal on their own. 30 seconds later it happened again.

Now although I had been playing with the effects before it happened today, I did notice whilst I was building the shelf it's sat on, when nothing but power, Aux in and output 16 were connected, and no faders or gains set at all, that the fader LEDs on FX1 did the same thing then.

This leads me to believe it's a system issue, not anything to do with my routing/effects. I've re-routed the Violin and settings onto FX2 and it hasn't done it yet - which I'm not expecting it to.

In case anyone asks, I know the desk is factory refurb / demo return / etc, but the ebay description says it's been "tested to original functional performance specifications" and does carry fully warranty.

From reading this thread, I presume one of the Behringer reps will ask me to PM them about this - but I don't know which one yet, hence why I've posted it here first. :)

Peter

(Edit: Changed title)

Re: FX1 keeps going mental

Hi Peter,

you are the next one with an issue with FX1.. which effect did you use? what firmware do you have?

I also had two times a loud full-scale peak for maybe 2 seconds with "Vintage Room" in slot 1, but could not reproduce it.

Then there was this german guy, who described this problem and recorded it.
http://www.musiker-board.de/pa-mischpulte-pa/492986-behringer-x32-userthread-101.html#post6941200

https://soundcloud.com/user967634426/fehler

http://forum.behringer.com/showthread.php?3730-Problem-FX-quot-Vintage-Room-quot

We both had 2.02 at this time.

It would be nice if we get clarified if it is a software bug of slot 1/2/3/4? in combination with Vintage Room, or an firmware version!?

Or if it's a hardware defect like Mario said, but i did not had it before with 1.15 or know any other one.

Tobi

X32 Routing Question

I'm trying to use an outboard effect that requires a XLR input and a TRS input (guitar on TRS, vocal on XLR).

I've got my X32 set up as 24 input and 8 Card.

My DAW outputs the main audio on ch 31+32 (as C01/C02) so I can see and hear everything (which is working).

The DAW is set to SEND the guitar on C03 and the vocal on C04.

I've got Ch 25 (C03) and Ch 26 (C04) routed and I can see the led meters moving as expected. If I solo these tracks, the expected audio is coming out.

So how do I route C03 to Aux 1 & C04 to XLR Out 1?

Dear Peter,
Have you verified that the FX return channel for FX1 is not routed into Bus 13 (the bus that feeds FX1 by default)? Just to be sure there is nothing wrong with your routing, I would recommend initializing the console from the “config” page of the SETUP menu to restore the factory default configuration.

If further troubleshooting is required please send me a PM with your contact information and I will have our CARE department contact you tomorrow.

Last edited:
Re: X32 Routing Question

I've got Ch 25 (C03) and Ch 26 (C04) routed and I can see the led meters moving as expected. If I solo these tracks, the expected audio is coming out.

So how do I route C03 to Aux 1 & C04 to XLR Out 1?

Dear Neil,
You can configure all of your outputs from the ROUTING menu. The "Out 1-6" page (previously labeled "Analog Out" in Firmware 1.15) page will allow you to assign your C04 signal to XLR Output 1. Since you have C04 routed to channel 26, use "Dir Out Ch 26" for your output signal.

The TRS outputs are configured from the "aux out" page. For your output signal, use "Dir Out Ch 25" since you have your C03 signal routed to channel 25.

Hope it helps!

Re: X32 v.2.04 and PC v2

Hey guys, just loaded the new software and firmware versions and I noticed something odd.
First thing is the Sends on Fader. It seems that the PC software doesn't update the faders according to the desk.?!?! All the other fader movements and positions are updated just fine. This a bit of an issue.
Second thing is the Main LR Meters on the PC Software doesn't show peak hold.?! I'm not sure if the previous version had it or not.?! This is not a real issue but would be nice.
Don't know if anyone else noticed this.?!?!

DSC_0805.jpgDSC_0808.jpg

Hi Peter,

you are the next one with an issue with FX1.. which effect did you use? what firmware do you have?

I also had two times a loud full-scale peak for maybe 2 seconds with "Vintage Room" in slot 1, but could not reproduce it.

Then there was this german guy, who described this problem and recorded it.
http://www.musiker-board.de/pa-mischpulte-pa/492986-behringer-x32-userthread-101.html#post6941200

https://soundcloud.com/user967634426/fehler

http://forum.behringer.com/showthread.php?3730-Problem-FX-quot-Vintage-Room-quot

We both had 2.02 at this time.

It would be nice if we get clarified if it is a software bug of slot 1/2/3/4? in combination with Vintage Room, or an firmware version!?

Or if it's a hardware defect like Mario said, but i did not had it before with 1.15 or know any other one.

Tobi

Dear Peter,
Have you verified that the FX return channel for FX1 is not routed into Bus 13 (the bus that feeds FX1 by default)? Just to be sure there is nothing wrong with your routing, I would recommend initializing the console from the “config” page of the SETUP menu to restore the factory default configuration.

If further troubleshooting is required please send me a PM with your contact information and I will have our CARE department contact you tomorrow.

Hi Tobi,

Great to hear I'm not the only one.

It is indeed 'Vintage Hall' in effects slot FX1. I'm on v2.04. The desk came on v1.14 which I upgraded directly to v2.04.

The Violin is connected to local XLR 27, which is presented onto channel 19.
Channel 19 sends to Busses 1 and 7 (Stage and Main, via Bus outputs 1 and 7) and to Bus 9 (FX).
Bus 9 sends to FX1.
FX1 sends to Busses 1 and 7.

I can't see any loops there - yes, Busses 1 and 7 receive both the original and the processed FX output, but no other mics send to Bus 9 or FX1. During the week, I had no mics connected at all - only my PC on Aux 5, and that only routed to Main LR (Bus 15/16) at the time.

I'm currently sat at Church trying to re-produce the problem - I've changed the routing back how I had it this morning (ie as above) except with PC music going through the FX channels very quietly so I don't blow the speakers.

In one way it seems too much of a co-incidence that three people have had the problem, with the same effect on the same FX slot, but also I see that millions of units have been sold and only three people have experienced it so far. (You may think I've only had the desk a few days, but I've been using one at work for 18 months so I'm not new to it)

One theory I have is that the effect doesn't show up straight away - on both days I've witnessed it, the desk has been turned on for approximately 3 hours before I've noticed it - this could affect why Tobi couldn't reproduce it if he'd had the desk off when he went to try to reproduce it.

I'll keep an eye on it and post back.

(John - it's a Bank Holiday here tomorrow so your UK CARE team won't be working until Tuesday - I'll post back before then)

Peter

I'm currently sat at Church trying to re-produce the problem - I've changed the routing back how I had it this morning (ie as above) except with PC music going through the FX channels very quietly so I don't blow the speakers.

I'll keep an eye on it and post back.

Peter
Bingo!

Right, have a look at these two files:

http://www.oakworthmethodists.org/Resources/X32/FX_Bug.zip (the show file)
http://www.oakworthmethodists.org/Resources/X32/X32_FX1_VintageRoom.wmv

Scene 90 of the Show File is my current setup.

The PC is playing through Aux 1/2, routed to Busses 1, 7 and 9.
Bus 9 is the source for both FX1 and FX2.

The video shows the issue occurring, then me showing all the routing and FX options I could think of that effected it - you will see part way through that the issue disappears just as I move away from the FX layer, but it reoccurred again 2 minutes after finishing the video, without me touching a thing.

As you will see, the issue occurs on FX1 but not FX2, despite both being configured/routed identically (I think...).

This happened about 25 minutes after I turned on the desk, and 15 minutes after I'd set the routing up exactly like that.

Peter

Re: X32 Routing Question

Thanks for that John, that's what I thought I should do, but it didn't work.

I got my X32 with V1.03 (I think) and I've been tweaking my settings since then, so I suspect that the various upgrades have made that particular save configuration incompatible with the routing.

I've initialised the console (and upgraded to 2.04) and re-set everything up from scratch, and I think it now works as it should (and as you suggested).

Good job, Peter!

Maybe with these information R&D can verify where the concrete problem is.

In my understanding, the input flow to the FX stays working, so the issue has to be in the FX in combination with slot 1.
Perhaps we can exclude a bit further if you try the same two other fx, or Vintage Room in all 4 Slots.

My desk is not in vicinity, so i can not help for the moment.

Tobi

Re: X32 Discussion

Good idea Tobi - just tried all four FX on Vintage Room. Issue only stayed on FX1. I'll keep watching it - I've got remote access to Church PC, with X32-Edit running, so I'm monitoring the desk meters from home. It has been spiking ever since I wrote the last post.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: X32 Discussion

Just changed all four effects to Vintage Reverb for 20 minutes - not a single peak. Changed them back to Vintage Room and it's spiked 4 times already.

Sent from my iPhone

Safe Recall Bug in 2.04?

I think I found a bug in safe reacall.
I want to safe my gaincontrol but when I change scene the gain changes. I tried some more variations and found that when the HA is safe in parametersafe the gain set on a oddnumbered scene will become the "gainmaster" for all oddnumbered scenes and the gain set for even numbered scenes will get the same gain to all even scenes.

?????

Re: Safe Recall Bug in 2.04?

The bug is found on my X32. When I tried the same thing with my X32 Rack that is clean from any scenes there was no gain recall safe problem.
One of my clients with an X32 couldn´t saferecall the gain and even though he tried to save every scene with the new gain value the mixer couldn´t recall the new value.
Before I upgraded his consol I exported his showfile to USB. After upgrading I tried to import the old show but every scene was emtpy. I tried to open the showfile in X32-Edit (the new version) the scenes were empty.
I started one older version and the scenes was found and I could transfer them to the X32.

So my conclusion is that there some problem with saferecalling scenes that has its roots in 1.15. Both my and my clients mixers is having "old" scenes.

Did I do anything the wrong way when trying to export from 1.15?

Anyone else found any recall safe issues?

Possible to SAVE only sections of a Scene? (forgive laziness)

I'm about to start tech on a show with the X32 where there are vocal mic swaps, and it's also double-cast in many of those roles, so I have four sets of vocal channel setups (name, gain, EQ) to deal with.

To my shame, I have *never* used the X32 Scene Recall system (even in it's pre-v2.0 incarnation), but I feel like I should be giving it a shot now, so I'm appealing to the hive mind in the interests of time, please.

What would be the best set-up to be able to store those vocal channel settings in four separate "places" (whatever noun starting with "S" in X32-speak a "place" means) so that they can be recalled independently of the rest of the set-up, but also re-saved independently (so I can refine each one's settings through tech and into the shows without affecting any of the others).

Obviously in the simplest case, I could just have four separate Scenes, any maybe a fifth as the master for the rest of the set-up, but it's not clear to me even then how to save some settings back to one file and some to another.

In v2.0, if you load a "Snippet" over a "Scene", and then re-save (save what?) does it remember which file each parameter came from and save it back to the corresponding place, or does it just write everything back to the Scene?

I remember somebody wrote up a nice summary/wiki/blog-post/something of the new system recently in this thread, but I can't find it.

Yours lazily,

Simon

Re: Possible to SAVE only sections of a Scene? (forgive laziness)

I'm about to start tech on a show with the X32 where there are vocal mic swaps, and it's also double-cast in many of those roles, so I have four sets of vocal channel setups (name, gain, EQ) to deal with.

To my shame, I have *never* used the X32 Scene Recall system (even in it's pre-v2.0 incarnation), but I feel like I should be giving it a shot now, so I'm appealing to the hive mind in the interests of time, please.

What would be the best set-up to be able to store those vocal channel settings in four separate "places" (whatever noun starting with "S" in X32-speak a "place" means) so that they can be recalled independently of the rest of the set-up, but also re-saved independently (so I can refine each one's settings through tech and into the shows without affecting any of the others).

Obviously in the simplest case, I could just have four separate Scenes, any maybe a fifth as the master for the rest of the set-up, but it's not clear to me even then how to save some settings back to one file and some to another.

In v2.0, if you load a "Snippet" over a "Scene", and then re-save (save what?) does it remember which file each parameter came from and save it back to the corresponding place, or does it just write everything back to the Scene?

I remember somebody wrote up a nice summary/wiki/blog-post/something of the new system recently in this thread, but I can't find it.

Yours lazily,

Simon

Dan Mortensen wrote the post you are thinking of, and IIRC was in the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Re: Possible to SAVE only sections of a Scene? (forgive laziness)

Dan Mortensen wrote the post you are thinking of, and IIRC was in the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Thanks, Tim. I found the sub-thread ("Cues and Scenes") between Dan and Jan Duwe, and it makes sense.

My hope was that each parameter would remember where it came from, so that when you saved, it would update either the Scene or the Snippet file, but in retrospect this seems unreasonable! :)

I guess I need to maintain a master Scene for everything, but then save out Snippets for the relevant vocal channel bits (set the filters on the Snippets page to "Preamp(HA)", "Config" and "EQ", and Channels 1-12) for each the four combinations, and then remember to re-save over the same corresponding Snippet (one of four) after refining one of them. Then I can make four Cues, each containing the shared master Scene, and the appropriate Snippet. Or just set the recall mode to Snippet and just recall the Snippets.

Screen-cap from X32-Edit v2.0 for saving the Snippets. I'll try to do it for real this evening on the console.

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 1.41.35 PM.png