X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

Hi Glenn,

It only brews the XCup, hope that helps.

Your comment "Someone asks a question and it is like a fire department getting a call" is a really nice and flattering mental image. You should write poetry. Seriously, I like it.

Regarding our earlier discussion about networking: Do you have or know of a device that will allow seeing the electrical characteristics of a single twisted pair within an Ethernet cable, and/or the relative electrical characteristics of multiple pairs within that cable throughout the time the cable is being physically challenged in some way?

You kind of indicated you did, but didn't reply to my previous question about this.

Having that ability would advance the ongoing discussion considerably.

It would also be cool to be able to see the shield when it was getting zapped by the bbq lighters, with and without Ethercons.

It would be even sweeter to be able to watch the data stream and its error correction/detection while the cable was being stressed, to see what happens when it lets go and how close to the edge you can get before it lets go.

Thx,
Dan

X Cups, that is what I am doing wrong.

http://www.newark.com/agilent-technologies/dso7104a-gsa/oscilloscope-1ghz-4-channel-4gsps/dp/69R7205

To your question. Yes, loads of field experience with Ethernet from Thin and thick wire days, dang I am old. And yes I know that AES50 is not normal Ethernet packets or devices. Most of what I have seen comes from a few installations where video, data, or audio streaming packet loss followed some electro magnetic interference from surrounding cable or devices. UTP cable used in Ethernet systems is 2 bal. pairs twisted just right and 2 more put to use as a 2nd ch. or PoE. The devices listening and driving the lines low impedance can overcome loads of common mode noise. Just like the audio world, low Z, bal, shielded good. In most of the newer protocols computing devices use today not only give great fault tolerance but if a collision or drop occurs a rebroadcast takes place. For an email you would hardly notice. In a video or audio stream that does not happen due to some of the older but more efficient protocols used that does not use up the time needed to verify the packet made it to the destination. That sound you hear is a click or pop if short, a drop if long, and in rare cases a digital zipper sound.

ESD on the shield causes this if the connection is not good. But I was just referring to the times when I've seen or heard that happen from other EMI sources near or running long distances right next to the network cables. I've seen cable movement, not at the ends, but in the middle cause drops if they were near mild magnetic fields, and where are there not any? Again most devices would retransmit the packet lost as a result, others would go into the bit bucket. On a TDR and spectra meter even a fiber when moved can alter the signal going thru. There is even a fence alarm system the uses that signal to tell you if a human is climbing a fence or it is just the wind blowing on it causing the motion. Yep a fiber optic cable.

It seems though I have not kept up with the latest chips driving this cable as it can take and cancel a much greater range of noise that I thought. And it looks like the shield has no reference to the console ground or the stage box grounding that could cause that old fashion ground loop noise that if happened could still overwhelm those chips with so much noise that drops would occur especially at much higher frequencies. Why do you think they limit the distance to 100 meters? Cable capacitance rounding over the leading edge and noise rejection.

Sorry if this flys in the face of those with other tests and experiences, all I can say is , seen it, found it, fixed it. Electrons are a wild bunch.

Last edited:

Hopefully in the future, Behringer will streamline the procedures necessary for such tasks (Like opening up these files with wordpad to get what we need?)

Being able to specify every possible permutation of what you could possibly have in a snippet would get very complicated very quickly. Already, the snippet generation allows you to get very detailed with the stuff that one would normally change during a show, and complicating it further would need multiple screens and a way too cumbersome interface for everyday use.
An offline snippet editor would probably be feasible, maybe as a part of X32-Edit, but I wouldn't bet on that ever happening.

One gets to a point where in-depth understanding of what is going on is necessary to detailize snippets, and some testing is needed to make sure there are no ill effects, and while opening up a .snp file in Wordpad is hardly geek-territory, maybe some things are better left out of the mainstream?

...For example, If I want to tap between a 1/4 note and switch to half note mid way through the chorus of a song, it takes awhile for the delay time to actually change. ... And, it should not take a full bar to change the delay time. I want it to change NOW, not eventually get there a bar from now...

Dear Lee,

As Per already said (and also see my post), the X32 console does not do any averaging, if you tap only twice. It only takes you two taps to go from 1/4 to 1/2, and the new time will be available, immediately. Tap longer, and the last 4 taps will count into the average, for improved accuracy.

The X32 EDIT app for PC/Mac/Linux does exactly the same when you click on the user assigned buttons for tapping.

The X32-MIX app for iPad, version 2.1 and before required 10 taps, taking the touch interface into account. With release of version 2.2 this was changed to only 4 taps. We will take this discussion into account and consider changing that parameter in the future. Technically, this is nothing complicated.

TIP: Alternatively, you might consider the Factor parameter, that is available with all X32 Delay effects. This allows you to toggle e.g. from 1/2 tempo delays to full or anything else, just pressing one user-defined button. That might be even easier in your specific application.

>>EDIT: I forgot mentioning the parameter Factor can only be assigned to one of the four continuous controllers in the Assign section. However, if you prefer having it on a button you could create snippets (for different Factors), and assign buttons to launch these snippets directly. I have attached some sample snippets changing both FactorL/R parameters of the stereo delay in fx slot 3, and (using a plain text editor) I have removed all other parameters that shall not be affected when loading the snippet. Just rename the file ending from 'doc' to 'snp' before loading it on your console.
View attachment Factor 2.doc
View attachment Factor 1.doc
View attachment Factor 3half.doc
View attachment Factor 1half.doc

Hope that helps.

Jan

Last edited:

Dear Lee,

As Per already said (and also see my post), the X32 console does not do any averaging, if you tap only twice. It only takes you two taps to go from 1/4 to 1/2, and the new time will be available, immediately. Tap longer, and the last 4 taps will count into the average, for improved accuracy.

Jan

The PROBLEM is....it makes you wait until you can start tapping again or you end up inside the averaging 'window.'
Most of us want a way to disable that 'window.'

Re: CARE TEAM - need help. Audio Dropouts on AES50

Dan - I need some more info please. What is printed on the side of the cable you are using? Please copy the whole string on the side. Did you terminate it and did you put on the ethercon's?
Some less expensive cat 5 and 6 is aluminum with a copper coating. Not junk but real close. Normally this cable is used as tray cable where it will not be moved and terminated to a frame and not RJ45.
Capture.JPG
Glenn, Sorry for the delay but I've been absent from the forums due to other commitments. Yes I am using ethercons and the cable is from BAFO. It's STP (stranded) it's being rolled and unrolled each week and laid on the floor. This problem started right out of the gate. During the service we have not had any issues except once. E200534 B C(UL) CMH 26AWG/4P STP ETL Verified to TIA/EIA-568-B.2 CAT.5 ENHANCED 350MHZ PATCH CABLE FT4--- Rohs Compliant ELTOP Electronics. I have the spec sheet on the cable. It's Bare Copper. The Conductors are wrapped in a transparent Plastic (Mylar) and then there is an aluminum foil shield with a drain wire. I've attached the specs

Maximum number of connections to the core with X32-Edit

Crossposting from 'The Core and v2.04' thread over at Behringer :

May be I'm wrong, but is the v2.04 firmware and X32-Edit v2 only capable of 2 connections ?
( I seem to remember now in the spec published > where ? )
If 2 in total, ( 1 connection to the core and 1 additional connection ), please let me know

Thanks and
best regards

Klaus​

Last edited:
Re: Maximum number of connections to the core with X32-Edit

Crossposting from 'The Core and v2.04' thread over at Behringer :

May be I'm wrong, but is the v2.04 firmware and X32-Edit v2 only capable of 2 connections ?
( I seem to remember now in the spec published > where ? )
If 2 in total, ( 1 connection to the core and 1 additional connection ), please let me know

Thanks and
best regards

Klaus​

6 seems to come to mind!

Re: Maximum number of connections to the core with X32-Edit

...and here from John DiNicola saying 2 X-Edit and several iGadgets...

My disconnecting problem could be from using 3( three ) X32-Edit and control
them via VPN too ( one at a time, by switching networks and reconnect the VPN client,
and every X32-Edit has an BCF2000 attached too
May be John could elaborate on this... ?

Klaus

Sleepy faders.

FYI:
I helped one of my clients one day and discovered that mostly of his faders behaved like some one had put syrup in the faders. This was a rather earls X32 and now after service we know the problem faulty powersupply. Now everythings fine again.

MIDI help wanted!

Now I know that I have to change MIDI channel to load snippets and cues but how do I use the MIDI page under Scenes? In my world it would be there to tell the X32 what to do on incoming MIDI commands.

On the subject on Tempo delay I still think that the X32 should benefit from syncing delaytimes with MIDI Clock.
Runs very smooth on most Yamaha mixers.

Stuck XLR's !

A friend who owns a big PA company has my X32 and S16's on long term loan, at the weekend he was double booked so asked me to sound engineer a theater gig. At the end of the gig I couldn't get one of the XLR's to unplug from one of the S16's !!

The X32 was then used yesterday for another gig and a XLR is stuck on one channel of that as well now. 8O~8-O~:shock:

I've seen several posts of people reporting that they have had XLR's stick so the big question is how did you get them out without damaging the desk ?

I tried searching but couldn't find any answer so forgive me if its been answered before .

Thanks
Kev

Re: Stuck XLR's !

I've seen several posts of people reporting that they have had XLR's stick so the big question is how did you get them out without damaging the desk ?
Check out this post I made

http://www.x32user.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=306

There you can see the mechanics of the latching mechanism. As you can see the latching hooks are on each side of the spring so you can take a heavy duty paperclip or a small screwdriver to push the latch/spring.

you can also use a flat and small screwdriver that is long enough to slide under the latch tounge and follow with the screwdriver when you press the latch.

Btw, I really hate locking xlr's!!! It is quite easy to remove the latches but you'll need a magnet for the lower sixteen connectors to catch the black spring unless you remove the top connector pcb's.

Here is a post I made on the presonus forum

I've had this issue with any device with locking xlr's like stageboxes and such. The xlr's on the x32 are good quality neutrik so it's not some noname crappy connectors.

What I've found is that any xlr with the cut-out square in the shell are prone to this. It is because the shell becomes fragile due to too little supporting material surrounding the cut that even a small bump on its edge will deform it ever so slightly. Because of this the latching hook can't get free enough. The specs almost have zero tolerance for deformation of the cutout.

This problem is a non-issue with xlr's using a 'carving' inside the xlr shell. Here the shell doesn't lose their inherent strength since you don't remove any supporting material and are therefor much more difficult to deform.

I've always hated locking xlr's for this very reason and I don't see any real need for them in general.

Laggy WiFi (again I think)

Sorry to come back to this earlier mentioned behaviour. Maybe somebody has the same "laggy" Ipad performance. Sorry I copy/paste this from the Behringer forum.

1. During the last gigs I realized a _VERY_ instable Wifi connection. Takes a lot of time to change from one app page to another (channel banks). Seems the app reads the whole content from the device new every time I switch pages. Faders in the app lagging, linked channels wont move fast enough. Both Mac and Ipad 4 lost connection lots of time while Wifi was fully stable and only my 2 devices connected. I use an Apple Router, same behaviour both in 2.4 and 5 Ghz, same behaviour when ONLY the Ipad is connected. Never had this happen with earlier version.

To be serious that is a real PITA. Hope someone from Behringer listens and these things will be fixed asap.

2. First of all: I did NOT change anything when coming from X32 1.xx firmware and prior Ipad Apps neither in the Ipad configuration nor in the router setup. Before I updated the systen everything worked like a charm: no losses of connection within my short operation range of 15 meters (with direct view to the router and all the WiFi meter indication full up), no lags, a dream to work with. After the (automatic) update of the Ipad app that I cannot revert to previous version I HAD to update my full X32 and X32Rack to get back the remote working.

So - from my point of view - the (so called) bug came WITH the update. Maybe the X32 firmware is laggy or the App is trash. And we need to get it repaired by Behringer.

Would be nice to hear if somebdy else than Gary realized that bad behaviour to prove to Behringer that ther IS an error. My prove is the appended video file

http://youtu.be/LYAlfVa416A

Maybe you feel me whinig a lot, but all I want to have is a WORKING system. What Behringer took me with the update.

(Sry for my poor English, hope I could describe everything quite understandable).

3. Per, thx for your comment. But - as some of the other guys - you're on the same "WiFi fault" trip. The video I shot was in the rehearsal room, just 5 kids around with their mobiles. And - as I always do - the WiFi was hidden, so NOOME but me joined the network. And as I told a few times before: Prior update/upgrade everything worked fine.

But as long noone else than Gary sees the trouble and confirms similar behaviour what can I do else than listen to the "tweak your network and use a cat5" comments.

Gary: the "lag" of not showing the content keeps me away from mixing, because I cannot SEE what I mix. Additional during the "refresh time" the X32 won't accept any control.

(Per told about "risky WiFi business" due to lots of peoble join the venue and try to connect to my network. Gary had a similar behaviour.)

Thanks again, all your hints are welcome.

Henry

Re: Laggy WiFi (again I think)

Sorry to come back to this earlier mentioned behaviour. Maybe somebody has the same "laggy" Ipad performance.

Hi Henry,

Sorry to hear about your wi-fi issues.

Surprisingly, I was just realizing at yesterday's gig that I've now been able to use the new app and firmware versions multiple times, and have noticed a distinct IMPROVEMENT in connection and reliability.

Before, I could rely on dropouts/freezes every 60 seconds on the iPad, sometimes going on for hours, other times for a little while and then stopping. The last 3 gigs when I've been specifically watching for that, I haven't noticed even one freeze over three or four hours. These have all been in a known room where there must be 25 visible networks and where the problem has repeatedly occurred. My networks are all visible, FWIW. (I've been running 4 wifi networks of my own with the Rack so there's redundancy in case one goes down.)

I don't have any solutions for you, but it's funny-in-a-non-funny-way that you are having problems that you blame on the updates, and I'm having a good experience that I'm attributing to the updates. Nothing else has changed in my application, either.

Good luck,
Dan

Edit: Does your iPad have lots of apps open and running? It's not obvious to tell; there is some combination of holding down the select button (the round one at the bottom of the screen) and the sleep button (the one on the top edge, opposite end of iPad from select button) which allows you to see all open apps and gives you the ability to close the ones you don't need open.

Here is a discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5517635

Maybe that will help?

Last edited:
Re: MIDI help wanted!

Now I know that I have to change MIDI channel to load snippets and cues but how do I use the MIDI page under Scenes? In my world it would be there to tell the X32 what to do on incoming MIDI commands.

On the subject on Tempo delay I still think that the X32 should benefit from syncing delaytimes with MIDI Clock.

Gunnar, can you explain the functioning of delay tap and midi clock?

Re: MIDI help wanted!

The MIDI page is there to tell the X32 what MIDI signals to send out when a scene is invoked, to control other stuff.

Certainly syncing to MIDI is beneficial, if you have some MIDI to sync to.

Interesting bug in 2.04.

Set both left and right faders to buses (1-16 and 1-8). Now pull up Effect for graphic EQ inserted on monitor send and click the EQ on Faders function (I think that's what it's called). Push bus send on left faders up a little bit higher to get back to edge of feedback. At that point fader on right for that bus forgets it's being used to set graphic EQ and thinks it's back in bus mode, then it tries to mimic corresponding move on right-side fader. Just for fun, make sure the EQ on fader window has the fader for the bus you are adjusting sitting on a problem freq. Bingo, fader on right jumps to match left side, and GEQ thinks you just went from, perhaps 7db of cut for that freq to maybe 10db of boost. In my case, instantaneous boost for my problem-child freq of 17db. Great fun. (Fortunately, the room was empty while I was doing this.) I suspect that going into EQ on fader function would be just fine if right side had started with DCAs or Matrix selections -- it was duplicating bus select on left and right side before EQ on Fader that caused the problem.