X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

Upcoming event is to big for one X32, I need about 42 mic channels + some extra.

I would like to use 2 X32 full size, and 3 S16 stage box.

I would like to put the S16 in series on the AES50 / cat cable, connect this one to the first X32 and connect the B port to the second X32.
On the second X32 I use the input channels of 1 S16 and make some groups and send these to the other X32 over the AES50, where I have my main mix and the outputs connected.

Should this work? How should the headamp gain be adjusted in this case?

Here is some info: Hope this helps

http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?6025-Linking-two-X32-consoles-together&highlight=linking

Upcoming event is to big for one X32, I need about 42 mic channels + some extra.

I would like to use 2 X32 full size, and 3 S16 stage box.

I would like to put the S16 in series on the AES50 / cat cable, connect this one to the first X32 and connect the B port to the second X32.
On the second X32 I use the input channels of 1 S16 and make some groups and send these to the other X32 over the AES50, where I have my main mix and the outputs connected.

Should this work? How should the headamp gain be adjusted in this case?

Sorry to keep posting as I learn my x32, but has anyone experienced their x32 suddenly making a loud crescendo noise? Almost sounds like a reverb feeding back but the way I've got my console setup, I'm not sure how this would be possible...this sound gets incredibly loud, but then stops itself. It would be very problematic during a real show, but it happens and ends too quick for me to have tracked down where it might be coming from.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
-Daniel

Sorry to keep posting as I learn my x32, but has anyone experienced their x32 suddenly making a loud crescendo noise? Almost sounds like a reverb feeding back but the way I've got my console setup, I'm not sure how this would be possible...this sound gets incredibly loud, but then stops itself. It would be very problematic during a real show, but it happens and ends too quick for me to have tracked down where it might be coming from.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
-Daniel

You have created a loop somewhere. Your observation is correct.

You have created a loop somewhere. Your observation is correct.

Yes, this is very possible...where would you recommend to start looking? Any way to sniff it out?
The trouble is that it has happened twice, both completely randomly. It's definitely not an open mic loop because none were attached at the time.
I am unable to track it down because before I can start going through my banks to find it, it's gone. And everything appears routed correctly...
tips on tracking this down?
-Daniel

The 'best' way to create a feedback on the X32 is on the returns of the FX1 to FX4. When they are using the standard configuration the FXs will be fed by bus13 to Bus16. Send some signal from the FX return channels to the corresponding bus can cause an increasing feedback. Have a look on that.

Yes, this is very possible...where would you recommend to start looking? Any way to sniff it out?
The trouble is that it has happened twice, both completely randomly. It's definitely not an open mic loop because none were attached at the time.
I am unable to track it down because before I can start going through my banks to find it, it's gone. And everything appears routed correctly...
tips on tracking this down?
-Daniel
Look at the meter page when it starts. That should tell you where it is and where it isn't.

Hello

First turn ALL your amplifiers OFF to protect your system from damage.
If you have iPad or Android tablet - set it to display all meters. If not - keep eye on meters on desk
Go to left faderbank page 4 and push all your BUS-faders UP
Next go to left faderbank page 3 where AUX-INs and EFFECT RETURNs are
Try to push them ALL THE WAY UP - one by one or all of them at once
Observe the meters while doing this.

Hope this helps.

The 'best' way to create a feedback on the X32 is on the returns of the FX1 to FX4. When they are using the standard configuration the FXs will be fed by bus13 to Bus16. Send some signal from the FX return channels to the corresponding bus can cause an increasing feedback. Have a look on that.

Thank you!
I'll check into this and see if I can locate it.
Best,
-Daniel

Thank you Timo!
I will use the advice you and Klaus provided to get this thing figured out...I'm sure it's something stupidly simple, it was just the randomness
of it that made it difficult to track down. I appreciate your tips on finding it.
Best,
-Daniel

sending any fx to that same fx in SOF mode will do this every time. Hit your SOF button and select each bus one by one 13-16, look on the input fader side and check if any of the fx sends are up, only ch's that need the fx should be raised up, not fx sends-that will start a feedback loop. Easy not to see this when not in SOF mode

How do Param Safe and Channel Safes "really" work?

[FONT=lucida_granderegular]I've read a lot of threads and done a good amount of playing, but I can't seem to get global safes to work "correctly".[/FONT]

[FONT=lucida_granderegular]My Config:[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]* I'm using X32-Edit for Mac v2.3 (Latest)[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]* X32 Rack with firmware v2.10 (Latest)[/FONT]

[FONT=lucida_granderegular]I sync'd with the rack copying the Show/Scenes to X32-Edit. I tried to modify a few Param Safe and Channel safe settings. For example, Channel 9 was set to Safe, and I unchecked that value. I exported the show, saved settings, and saved the scene. But when I re-import the show, my "Safes" changes didn't take effect. For example, Channel 9 is checked again.[/FONT]

[FONT=lucida_granderegular]From what I've read, my guess is that because Safes are "tied to the console", I need to change the Safes on the console, sync down to the PC, edit the show, save the show etc. Then the show will load correctly? (I don't have the rack with me so I can't test this theory.)[/FONT]

[FONT=lucida_granderegular]Thanks

[/FONT]
Before.pngAfter.png

There are some bugs in X32-Edit that will screw up your show files, so some things need to be edited and saved on the console. I know that stinks when you are using a Rack, but it's even worse for those who have a Core :twisted:

As I understand it, Woody, the two important things to know about safes are: 1) they don't get saved anywhere, & 2) they only affect what you load.

Perhaps I've misunderstood something, but it only makes sense: you cannot put instructions inside a file about what not to load from that file, and in fact you don't want to, since which things you don't want to load depends more on why you're loading, and the file doesn't know that.

Thanks Per and Jay! You've confirmed my suspicions. I think one thing that helps me rationalize this is I've noticed these are called "console safes" as opposed to scene safes. This helps me to remember these are settings on the console, that when selected, are not over ridden by the Show/Scene. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play with this more until next week when I have access to the Rack again. (My Compact is still on version 1.15 because I have an iPad 1 and the iPad app is not backward compatible :-(

FYI - Jay - I could see saving the global safes in the Show file because you want them to apply across all scenes. For example, you're doing 2 different shows at 2 different venues. Both venues have a Master of Ceremonies, but for venue 1 that mic is on Ch 1 and for venue 2 its on Ch2. So you'd want to set Ch 1 as Channel Safe in Show 1 and Channel 2 as Channel Safe in Show 2.

Re: USB Hard drive for recording?

Re: USB Hard drive for recording?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Arik Semagin
Another idea for USB music playback: many cars now have USB port that is tied to the car radio (even on Chevy trucks!). When iPhone is connected, pretty much the entire iTunes screen is displayed on the radio, with playback controls, just like on the phone itself. And car radio is much simpler device than X32.

I wonder if Behringer plans to implement something similar in the future, means adding iPhone connect functionality to USB port on the top and replacing the "cassette deck" USB playback screen with iTunes-like screen, similar to what we already see in the cars, example below. Everyone has their fav tunes saved on iPhone already, it will be way simpler than convert them to .WAV, transfer to USB drive and use the rudimentary navigation menu as X32 has now.

I'm sure there will be some licensing involved, but Behringer may offer it as an add-on option. I don't mind paying an extra $50 or so for convenience. Make the next firmware upgrade cost $50, I don't care, just make it happened. Or offer "free" regular upgrade and "paid" one with iPhone/iTunes integration. Car makers got it resolved, why can't Uli do the same?

Because the X32 is a mixing console, not a car stereo or iPod support device.
Please Uli, don't even think about it!
Mick Berg.​

Because the X32 is a mixing console, not a car stereo or iPod support device.
Please Uli, don't even think about it!
Mick Berg.

Thanks for all the replies. I think the verdict is that it can't be done.
I'm not going to pursue it any further.
Mick Berg.

Thanks for bold statement, Mick!

Guess what: Yamaha just did it with the new TF series mixers. You can plug iOS device AND the hard drive in USB port and do all these things that were discussed here. See the screenshot of Yamaha TF series reference manual below.

Hopefully Uli will think about it and catch up with Yamaha.
.Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 3.09.07 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric Eskam