X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Discussion

Pauly: remember: the price of free advice on the net is you gotta write up the right answer and post it for the next 5 poor slobs. :)

Re: Ultramatch SPDIF to X32?

G'day All,

Hey one thing that would be really good in the X32 is SPDIF inputs as I have a number of units in the studio that have SPDIF ouputs. Currently, if I need to use those units, I have to use thier analog outs into the X32.

Is it possible to use the Behringer Ultramatch to get a couple of inputs into the X32 digitally?

Thanks
Pauly
I'm not sure what you mean by 'get a couple of inputs into the x32 digitally'.

The ultramatch can convert your spdif into analog so it can be assigned to the x32 analog inputs. The only way to get real digital inputs into your x32 is to use one of the option cards and convert those spdif into something else.

By using the x-adat card and http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_4_dd.php you mught have a solution that works...

Last edited:

Pauly didn't mention a computer. He wants to get digital SP/DIFs into his board directly.

Pauly: the only way that I know of to do that will involve replacing your USB interface card with one of the other types of cards and probably using an external translator box, like one of the Klark-Technic boxes.

Re: Snippet Syntax - Subs -XDB monitor out

Can someone please advise exactly what the syntax is for the snippets.. and ideally, a way to subtract X Db from tthe main fader out.

I can only guess what advice you have got from Paul V. in PMs and mailed showfiles, but as very little along these lines have been covered here in the forum, I like to point out that what you were trying to do was somewhat doomed from the outset.
Usually, when feeding several speakers/monitors/subs from the same source, and only levels and processing are different, you would use Matrices to achive that. In the absence of available Matrices, there are ways, like using multiple buses and so on.
While it can be fun, and educational, to experiment with modifying snippets, it is definitely the wrong end to start.
First, ensure that the console is being operated properly, use the facilities and functions available and understand what those are and how to use them. After that, do the nerdy stuff.

Re: Snippet Syntax - Subs -XDB monitor out

Thanks Per,

It's working perfectly now, to the selected monitors and subs, set levels, and changing the phase of the subs depending on the monitors selected. Doomed? Thankfully no.

Pauly

I can only guess what advice you have got from Paul V. in PMs and mailed showfiles, but as very little along these lines have been covered here in the forum, I like to point out that what you were trying to do was somewhat doomed from the outset.
Usually, when feeding several speakers/monitors/subs from the same source, and only levels and processing are different, you would use Matrices to achive that. In the absence of available Matrices, there are ways, like using multiple buses and so on.
While it can be fun, and educational, to experiment with modifying snippets, it is definitely the wrong end to start.
First, ensure that the console is being operated properly, use the facilities and functions available and understand what those are and how to use them. After that, do the nerdy stuff.

Using Snippets to select studio monitors

Ok.... Further to my monitoring issue which is now solved thanks to Paul Vannetto and some further research.

I wanted to be able to just press a button, and have the X32 configure the chosen monitors, and configure the subwoofer at the same time. I called out to this forum and Paul Vannetto and I spent quite some time exploring options and used a number of snippets to achieve it.

Environment -

• X32 in Studio
  • Connected to DAW via Firewire
  • A set of near field studio monitors
  • A set of large studio monitors
  • A Subwoofer that requires slightly different configurations.

Requirements

• To be able to select a Large or Small pair of studio monitors with one button
  • Subwoofer to be configured to the selected monitors at the same time
  • Master fader to be used to control volume of all active speakers
  • When one set of monitors is selected, the other pair must be muted
  • The Scribble strips should indicate what's selected

Use Cases

• Small (Near Field) Monitors and Sub, with Sub in phase and at 0db
  • Large Monitors and Sub with Sub out of phase and at -4db
  • All monitors off (for those sudden ARRRGGHHHH! moments :-0)

I think that covers it.
Diagram1.png

We used matrixes to connect each pair of monitors and the subs. 1 & 2 for the Subs, 3 & 4 for the Large monitors, & 5 & 6 for the small monitors. We then fed each matrix from L/R and linked them in pairs.

Ok.. in my next post this evening probably, I'll post the snippets used to achieve this, commented so they can be understood.
[Edit] - Snippets are posted below.

Thanks
Pauly

Last edited:

G'day Jay,

Yes - you hit the nail on the head. Oh well... As I am using the firewire interface to feed the DAW, there's not much I can do!

Guess I'll have to stick with analogue.

Thanks
Pauly

Pauly didn't mention a computer. He wants to get digital SP/DIFs into his board directly.

Pauly: the only way that I know of to do that will involve replacing your USB interface card with one of the other types of cards and probably using an external translator box, like one of the Klark-Technic boxes.

Re: Using Snippets to select studio monitors

Ok - Can't attach files so here's the 'Reset' snippet - This in effect sets everything up - It's commented so should be self explanatory. Questions are welcome of course.
===============================================
#2.1# "Reset" 0 0 0 0 1#
# V10
# Matrix Colours & names
/mtx/01/config/ "Subs L" 1 BL
/mtx/02/config/ "Subs R" 1 BL
/mtx/03/config/ "JBL L" 1 GNi
/mtx/04/config/ "JBL R" 1 GNi
/mtx/05/config/ "Qsted L" 1 GNi
/mtx/06/config/ "Qsted R" 1 GNi

# Setup matrix linked pairs
/config/mtxlink/1-2 ON
/config/mtxlink/3-4 ON
/config/mtxlink/5-6 ON

# Set matrix mix on#
# you only need to set odd ch, because of linked pairs)
/mtx/01/mix/on ON
/mtx/03/mix/on ON
/mtx/05/mix/on ON

# Set matrix levels to 0db
/mtx/01/mix/fader 0.0
/mtx/03/mix/fader 0.0
/mtx/05/mix/fader 0.0

# Send Main LR to matrixes
/main/st/mix/01/level 0.0
/main/st/mix/03/level 0.0
/main/st/mix/05/level 0.0
/main/st/mix/01/type POST
/main/st/mix/03/type POST
/main/st/mix/05/type POST

# ------------------------
# 11 & 12 are subs
# 13 & 14 are JBLs
# 15 & 16 are Questeds
# ------------------------
# Setup outputs 11-16 to matrix 1-6
/outputs/main/11/src 20
/outputs/main/12/src 21
/outputs/main/13/src 22
/outputs/main/14/src 23
/outputs/main/15/src 24
/outputs/main/16/src 25

# Setup outputs 11-16 to Post Fader
/outputs/main/11/pos POST
/outputs/main/12/pos POST
/outputs/main/13/pos POST
/outputs/main/14/pos POST
/outputs/main/15/pos POST
/outputs/main/16/pos POST

# Monitor bus cleanup
/config/solo/masterctrl OFF
/main/st/config/name "L/R"

Ok.... Further to my monitoring issue which is now solved thanks to Paul Vannetto and some further research.
SNIP!
Thanks
Pauly

Ok - Can't attach files so here's the 'Small Monitors' snippet - This selects the small monitors - It's commented so should be self explanatory. Questions are welcome of course.
#2.1# "Quested" 0 0 0 0 1
# V10
# Matrix Colours & names
/mtx/03/config/ "JBL L" 1 OFF
/mtx/04/config/ "JBL R" 1 OFF
/mtx/05/config/ "Qsted L" 1 GNi
/mtx/06/config/ "Qsted R" 1 GNi

# Subs are 1 & 2, JBLs are 3 & 4, Questeds 5 & 6
/mtx/01/mix/on ON
/mtx/02/mix/on ON
/mtx/03/mix/on OFF
/mtx/04/mix/on OFF
/mtx/05/mix/on ON
/mtx/06/mix/on ON

# set the sub fader
/mtx/01/mix/fader 0
/mtx/02/mix/fader 0

# Set the monitors fader (in case I screwed with it)
/mtx/05/mix/fader 0
/mtx/06/mix/fader 0

# Subs IN Phase
/mtx/01/preamp OFF
/mtx/02/preamp OFF
# Questeds In Phase
/mtx/05/preamp OFF
/mtx/06/preamp OFF

/fx/8 TEQ
/fx/8/par 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
/main/st/insert OFF PRE FX8L

SNIP!
Thanks
Pauly

Ok - Can't attach files so here's the 'Big Monitors' snippet - This selects the Big monitors - It's commented so should be self explanatory. Questions are welcome of course.
#2.1# "JBLs" 0 0 0 0 1
# V10

# Matrix Colours & names
/mtx/03/config/ "JBL L" 1 GNi
/mtx/04/config/ "JBL R" 1 GNi
/mtx/05/config/ "Qsted L" 1 OFF
/mtx/06/config/ "Qsted R" 1 OFF

# Subs are 1 & 2, JBLs are 3 & 4, Questeds 5 & 6
/mtx/01/mix/on ON
/mtx/02/mix/on ON
/mtx/03/mix/on ON
/mtx/04/mix/on ON
/mtx/05/mix/on OFF
/mtx/06/mix/on OFF

# set the sub fader
/mtx/01/mix/fader -5
/mtx/02/mix/fader -5
# Set the monitors fader (in case I screwed with it)
/mtx/03/mix/fader 0
/mtx/04/mix/fader 0

# Subs OUT OF Phase
/mtx/01/preamp ON
/mtx/02/preamp ON
# JBLs In Phase
/mtx/03/preamp OFF
/mtx/04/preamp OFF

/fx/8 TEQ
/fx/8/par 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
/main/st/insert OFF PRE FX8L

SNIP!
Thanks
Pauly

Ok - Can't attach files so here's the 'ALL OFF' snippet- This just mutes all the speakers in the case of an 'AAARRRGGHH' moment. - It's commented so should be self explanatory. Questions are welcome of course.
#2.1# "ALL OFF" 4 1 0 0 1
# V9

# Matrix Colours - Well we're turning them all off!
/mtx/01/config/ "Subs L" 1 OFF
/mtx/02/config/ "Subs R" 1 OFF
/mtx/03/config/ "JBL L" 1 OFF
/mtx/04/config/ "JBL R" 1 OFF
/mtx/05/config/ "Qsted L" 1 OFF
/mtx/06/config/ "Qsted R" 1 OFF

# Mute the Matrixes
/mtx/01/mix/on OFF
/mtx/02/mix/on OFF
/mtx/03/mix/on OFF
/mtx/04/mix/on OFF
/mtx/05/mix/on OFF
/mtx/06/mix/on OFF

SNIP!
Thanks
Pauly

Bus / Main L/R question:

Bus / Main L/R question:

Are the L/R outs IN ADDITION to the busses 1-16 on an x32 console?

If I am using busses 13-16 for effects sends to the effects, can I send Main L/R to XLR 15 and 16? I seem to be getting the output of the effect on the xlr as well.

Sorry for the simple question but I seem to have a mental block on this.

--Kevin

Re: Bus / Main L/R question:

Bus / Main L/R question:

Are the L/R outs IN ADDITION to the busses 1-16 on an x32 console?

If I am using busses 13-16 for effects sends to the effects, can I send Main L/R to XLR 15 and 16? I seem to be getting the output of the effect on the xlr as well.

Sorry for the simple question but I seem to have a mental block on this.

--Kevin
Yes.

There are 16 outputs, and each can be assigned to any bus or L, C, R.

Yes.

There are 16 outputs, and each can be assigned to any bus or L, C, R.

Thanks but i'm not sure that answers my question. If i have effects (or anything) on buss 15 and 16. And main L on xlr 15 and main R on xlr 16. Will whatever is on bus 15 come out my main L speaker and whatever is on bus 16 come out my main R speaker?

It's the 'overlap' or interleaving of the 15-16 busses and main LR signals i seem to be having. Not sure how to send effects to busses 15 and 16 but not have those dry signals come out xlr 15 and 16.

--Kevin

Thanks but i'm not sure that answers my question. If i have effects (or anything) on buss 15 and 16. And main L on xlr 15 and main R on xlr 16. Will whatever is on bus 15 come out my main L speaker and whatever is on bus 16 come out my main R speaker?

It's the 'overlap' or interleaving of the 15-16 busses and main LR signals i seem to be having. Not sure how to send effects to busses 15 and 16 but not have those dry signals come out xlr 15 and 16.

--Kevin

Kevin, in the Routing menu navigate to the Out 1-16 tab. Make sure you route the outputs to proper destinations. For your example make sure output 15 is assigned to Main L and output 16 to Main R. Then one might double check that your effects routing -via the Effects menu is routed appropriate to your desire. Hope this works for you.

Kevin, in the Routing menu navigate to the Out 1-16 tab. Make sure you route the outputs to proper destinations. For your example make sure output 15 is assigned to Main L and output 16 to Main R. Then one might double check that your effects routing -via the Effects menu is routed appropriate to your desire. Hope this works for you.

Thanks much, i'll check that.

--Kevin

It occurred to me to ask if your effects bus masters are being routed to the LR bus?